Praxis exam for math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CDOR79, Jan 9, 2019.

1. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Jan 23, 2019

I don't know what state you are in. If in NJ, then the 15 credits in math are necessary. Other states may have other requirements. If in NJ, you could look at CLEP exams in math to see if there are courses NOT already on your transcript that you think you could pass and give that a try. I have included the link so you can find out more about them at your leisure.
    https://clep.collegeboard.org/science-and-mathematics

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. Onihi

Onihi Rookie

Jan 23, 2019

I took the Praxis in New Jersey. You do not need to take both to teach lower levels, but I was originally planning on only teaching middle school. I later changed my mind, so I did the high school one as well.

For middle school, there is no calculus. It basically just goes up through Algebra with some Geometry and Probability/Statistics, but nothing too deep. It won't let me post the link here, but to find the study guide, go to the Praxis website and look for the study companion for Praxis 5169. It tells you pretty much everything you need to know!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Jan 23, 2019

If you go to page 1 of this thread, you will see that I have already posted the study guide for 5169.

4. Onihi

Onihi Rookie

Jan 23, 2019

Ah ok! Great. I guess it probably would not let me post the link because I am a new member.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Jan 23, 2019

That would be correct.

6. eng123

eng123 Rookie

Jan 23, 2019

---------------
    I meant, I understood as in order for me to obtain a middle school Math certificate only, I I still need multiple subject Praxis ( Language arts, Science, History, Math) plus Single Subject Math for middle school Praxis. (Algebra, Geomentry, Stat) to teach Math for middle school students....

Thanks all for the answers!!

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Jan 23, 2019

I guess the real question is why do you want to teach MS Math if you have less than 15 college credits in the subject? Have you had experience teaching math in a school setting? Color me curious.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. eng123

eng123 Rookie

Jan 24, 2019

----
    I'm not sure if I want to teach Math, however, I wanted to know what Math level one needs to have in order to pass middle school Math certificate. :)