Praxis exam for math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CDOR79, Jan 9, 2019.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jan 9, 2019

I need to take the Praxis exam to get my certification to teach math for grades 5-8. I wanted to ask those that HAVE already taken it what they thought. Was it very challenging? I know there are prep courses and books to help, which I plan on doing. I’m wondering how much time I actually need to prep before I register for a specific date.

Thank you!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2019

I think that the answer is going to depend on how much math you took in college, and just how comfortable in teaching concepts that run from 4th grade levels through algebra. That MS Math certification could have you teaching low students, below 5th grade proficiency, all the way through algebra if you end up with a very high functioning class of students. It is actually quite a range, and mastery in MS is definitely required for many of these students to excel in math at the HS level. The amount of prep time prior to the exam will depend greatly on the level you are starting at, and that is just a fact, not an insult. If I were you, I would see how well the study and prep goes, and wait to schedule a test date once you feel very confident you are ready to ace the test. Now that these tests are administered on computers, and at many different sites, I have never had to wait more than a week to get a seat for any of them.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  4. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jan 10, 2019

Great suggestion, Vicki! I’ll prep a bit and assess my own progress...then figure out a date.

Thanks for the input! :)

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jan 10, 2019

I dunno if ETS.org still does this but I purchased their online practice questions when I studied for chem and physics. The questions were similar to the actual test questions so definitely worth the money!

6. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jan 16, 2019 at 6:47 PM

I checked it out and they do still have it! Great info. Thanks!