Praxis 5622

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by SJM9215, Mar 1, 2018.

1. SJM9215

SJM9215 New Member

Mar 1, 2018

I am preparing to take the Praxis 5622: Principles of Learning and Teaching K-6 test on March 15. I have been studying using a Cirrus Test Prep book that I purchased off of Amazon. I used the same brand (? or company?) of prep materials to study for the Praxis 5018 exam. I passed that one so I am confident that the material is good.

I know that you can't discuss questions on the test but I have been told that the Praxis 5018 test is the hardest one that I will have to take. So, I am wondering if you thought the same?

After this, I still have to take Praxis 5017 and 5203.

I am also looking for any other free resources. I am well aware of Teacherstestprep.com but was looking for others!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 1, 2018

5622 is a test of teaching practice. If you're well versed in understanding and applying the technical terminology of pedagogy, you should be fine. Try making a habit of identifying and labeling elements of teaching and learning as they crop up in your everyday life (and you'd be surprised how much pedagogy you can squeeze out of, say, giving someone directions).

4. SJM9215

SJM9215 New Member

Mar 13, 2018

The passing score depends on your state. I know that in Tennessee, a 160 is required to pass this test.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Mar 13, 2018

This is a little off topic, but I’ve always wondered: Why are the passing scores different for certain states? I thought the standard 160 was the passing score, but I’ve noticed it’s different across state lines. Are the passing scores slightly relaxed because there are so few teachers applying for those disciplines? I’m genuinely curious about this.

6. SJM9215

SJM9215 New Member

Mar 13, 2018

I am not 100% sure but my opinion is that certain states may just require more or less qualifications due to the level of rigor of the curriculum. If that makes any sense. There's a state ranking list for schools...like schools in Nebraska (where I went for elementary school) were much better than the schools I attended in florida.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. SJM9215

SJM9215 New Member

Apr 8, 2018

For the record, I passed 5622 with a 183! I was so uneasy after the test because they don't even show a score for the questions portion. I was more nervous about the writing portion anyways.

I ended up getting 13/16 on the writing though.

Now I'm preparing for the 5017 test. My study book has content knowledge sections and practice quizzes that are separate from the curriculum, instruction and assessment sections/quizzes. Does anyone know if this test covers a lot of content knowledge? Or mostly pedagogical principles and processes?

futuremathsprof likes this.