Praxis 5161 Need a 152

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Joe Sheldon, May 13, 2019.

1. Joe Sheldon

Joe Sheldon New Member

May 13, 2019

Hey all,

I am scheduled to take the praxis 5161 for the first time this Wednesday and I need a 152 to pass in the State of Colorado. I am very confused by the scoring and I am not sure exactly where I am at. I took the practice test they offer and got a 40/60. I understand that the real test will likely have 10 questions that do not count towards my score.

In any case, I am not happy with that score. A 66% is so far below the standards I set for myself. I tend to under perform on standardized tests the first time I take them and I am nervous I will not pass. I know that stressing about the score might not be the best course of action at this point, but I was hoping someone could enlighten me on how difficult a 152 is to obtain.

Thanks you for your help!

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 13, 2019

Welcome to A to Z, Joe Sheldon, and hugs.

The ten questions that aren't counted are questions that are being field-tested for inclusion in future versions of the test. In other words, these are questions that are likelier to be Not Ready For Prime Time: the question stem may be unclear or poorly worded, or an answer choice other than the one Praxis intended may work when the question is viewed from a different angle. Up to ten raw points might be deducted from the numerator of 40/60, yes - but that assumes that you got most or all of the non-counted questions right while flubbing similar questions that weren't being field tested, and that seems unlikely. In any case, ten points certainly ARE certainly deducted from the denominator: that is the basis for the scaled score isn't out of 60, it's out of 50.

Scaling converts the raw score (which, in this case, ranges from 0 to 50) to a scaled score on a scale from 100 to 200: because test questions pretty inevitably differ in difficulty, a raw score of 40 on version A could represent a different level of proficiency than a raw score of 40 on version B. Scaling serves in part to compensate for those differences: the idea is that each scaled score of 152 should reflect the same level of proficiency.

With all this said, I agree that 66% is a bit concerning. Use the practice test to help you identify domains or areas of subject matter on which you're weak. Then, since you're testing on Wednesday, choose ONE domain that is both manageably small in scope and important to success in other domains, and focus tomorrow's efforts on that. If you're not already using Khan Academy, you might find some of the videos there helpful.

4. Joe Sheldon

Joe Sheldon New Member

May 13, 2019

Thanks for your input. I recently took the GMAT and I had been studying all spring for it. It’s been difficult to transition to a new test after dedicating so much effort towards the GMAT. I feel that the GMAT has positioned me well for a lot of the content. However, I struggle with the calculus. I’ll definitely be studying a lot of calc tomorrow! I just hope I haven’t under estimated this exam. Like I said in my original post, I usually have to take standardized exams twice to get my desired score. I took the GMAT last spring and got a 640 and improved to 690 this spring.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 14, 2019

Your GMAT prep should be helpful, yes.

Just for fun, I searched for "common errors in calculus", and found quite a lot of useful websites. You might want to have a look at some of those.

6. Joe Sheldon

Joe Sheldon New Member

May 15, 2019

I just got out of my exam and I got a 162! Phew! Glad I don't have to worry about this anymore.

Thanks for the help

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 15, 2019

Aw yeah!!! Congratulations!!! :celebrate:

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 15, 2019

You're most welcome, Joe Sheldon, and well done to you!

Don't be a stranger, okay?

futuremathsprof likes this.