praxis 5039 practice raw vs official raw

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by lokin, Jul 4, 2018.

1. lokin

lokin Rookie

Jul 4, 2018

Hey everyone,
    It's me again. I am curious about your thoughts on something. I bought the 5039 practice test from ETS to see how I would fair so far by their standards. I found this site about raw scores and did some math for myself. Curious to see if you all think that's a fair interpretation or if it's wrong (I'm not up to date on how praxis does everything these days).

Practice Raw Scores
    96/130
    broken down as 34/49 , 24/33 , 38/48
    and on the response it allowed me to rate myself and I gave my self 3/3 on the first one because I knew it extremely in depth and a 2/3 on the second because I felt I didn't defend my point as well.
    Based on this magoosh . com/praxis/predicting-your-praxis-score-constructed-response/

I came up with .55384615 & .2083- which based on his results would be ~76 and translate into 176 as an unofficial raw practice score.

Do you all think that's an accurate way to guess your estimated score or do you think the practice tests are grossly inaccurate in terms of difficulty, etc. I feel pretty confident BUT when I estimated my score with a only 1/2 the points available for the constructed response that gave me a 163. I need a 168 to pass in Arkansas. So I'm crossing my fingers :) I take it tomorrow. I hope at least to see raw scores for my multiple choice !

3. JaneK

JaneK Rookie

Jul 4, 2018

I have no idea, but good luck!! I take it on the 13th!

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2018

My suggestion would be to stay focused on the studying, quit procrastinating about figuring out scores, since you will have the answer to the score in about a month. If ready to stop studying, chill. I personally suggest studying until bedtime, then go directly to bed. No Tv, no phone calls, stay off the computer, etc. Your brain, undistracted, will continue to process what you just studied as you sleep, helping it to make sense of the info. Sounds odd, but it has to do with the neuroplasticity of the brain. Yep, I'm a science teacher.

5. lokin

lokin Rookie

Jul 5, 2018

Oh no worries. I’m not stressed I’m just going through all possible venues and I feel better when I have an idea of where I stand :)! I’ll be taking it today and I’ll defjnjtely post my unofficial raw scores for comparison. Even if I fail I won’t be bothered as I’ve done everything I can to succeed and if I do fail I’ve done my best.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 5, 2018

Each teacher test or subtest exists in multiple versions, partly because even 130 questions aren't ever enough to touch on all of the topics that the official study guide says the test can cover. And test versions inevitably differ among themselves in difficulty, because it's darned hard to write even two good questions that are exactly equally difficult, let alone a whole test's worth of them. A raw score simply counts correct answers - even when question 11 is incredibly advanced and question 12 is incredibly basic, the raw scores will still be one point each - but the algorithm or process that produces scaled scores for 5039 does take relative difficulty into account, with the result that a scaled score of 173 represents the same level of achievement no matter which version of 5039 was administered to the test taker.

But Praxis's algorithms, like Pearson's, are closely held trade secrets, and the upshot of all of this is that forecasting a scaled score on an actual Praxis test version based on raw scores from a practice test is an inexact science at best.

With all of that said, if your practice test calculated scaled score exceeds your state's passing scaled score by more than about seven points, the likelihood of passing the real thing is fairly high.

As for studying the night before the test, there's much to be said - especially for a test taker who's showing signs of genuine anxiety - for studying up till 6:17 pm, then spending the rest of the evening doing something relaxing and enjoyable with supportive people. This presupposes, of course, that the test taker has studied both diligently and effectively in the preceding days and weeks.

7. lokin

lokin Rookie

Jul 6, 2018

Hey everyone! So I took the middle school social studies today’s And I feel really good about it. I marked all questions I didn’t know or could have possibly gotten wrong due to being unsure which was 24 on the real thing. And my research on varying numbers I could miss seemed to say that I could miss thirty as well as I didn’t fail the essay questions. I am most positive I’ll get three on two of my essays a two on one since i wasn’t familiar with it. But I think I’ll end up with a 170~ which is well above the 150~ (can remember exact score I needed) which is pretty accurate to the practice I did. But only time will tell. As for studying I’ve been studying 6 hours or so a day for two weeks for three different tests but I digress. So I feel very confident. I took HS ELA yesterday and I checked everything I was unsure of and I think I’ll pull around a 170-180 at least. And tomorrow is Hs SS so I’m excited to see what comes of all this!!

8. JaneK

JaneK Rookie

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:57 PM

I took the 5039 today and it did not give me a score! I knew I would have to wait for the constructed response to be scored, but I was really hoping to get the multiple choice score. Well, here's to waiting until early August!