PRAXIS 5018 Pass/Fail Question

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by KKCM, Jan 22, 2015.

1. jkwain

jkwain Rookie

Mar 17, 2016

I took 5018 for the third time on March 7th (10 days ago) and mine was only 120 questions. My other two times that have been in Jan and Feb were only 120 questions as well. When I add up the total number of raw scores that are possible from my score reports, they are all out of 120 too.

2. jkwain

jkwain Rookie

Mar 17, 2016

Im not sure... all I know is that I just took 5018 for the third time on March 7th and mine was 120 questions total... and my score reports from the first two attempts have a possibility of 120 raw points... This past time I scored Eng 33, Math 24, SS 14, Science 17. I am hoping that is enough to make a 163, which is what I need for LA. The last time I took it in Feb, I scored a 160 so I am very close... I don't think Praxis makes it easy for anyone to figure out their scoring lol :)

3. mfloyd86

mfloyd86 Rookie

Mar 17, 2016

That is so strange...to have the same test with a different number of questions. I mean, I would definitely prefer the raw score to be out of 120 rather than 140, because I think that would mean my raw score and scaled score would be higher, haha. I do understand that there are several questions that are not scored anything, because they're testing them out for future versions, but it's hard for me to imagine that there would be a total of 20 test questions. So, wishful thinking, I guess.
    Like you said, though, they don't make it easy to figure out, do they? There are so many versions of the test, that even though you and I tested in the same window, maybe we had two completely different versions.
    I just hope these two weeks-- until I know officially what my score is-- will go by quickly!

4. jkwain

jkwain Rookie

Mar 17, 2016

I wonder if they are just taking out questions everytime... i mean each time i get my score report back, its out of 120 possible raw points... I just think its weird that its 120 everytime ya know. Who knows... Did you pass or you dont know yet? I have to get a 163 so I am hoping i went up enough to make it. I got a 160 the time before and this past one I went up in three areas so hopefully its enough

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 17, 2016

It's not uncommon for as many as 20% of selected-response questions to be non-scoring questions, actually, and that's true of both Praxis and Pearson. The number is always the same across versions of a test that are in play at the same time. (If a test is revised, then the numbers of questions and the coverage of the test have changed, and that's a different story.) It makes sense that the Study Companion tells test takers how many questions they will encounter while the score report tells test takers how many questions actually counted.

If x number of questions don't count on version B of a given test, then x number of questions generally won't count on any other version of that same test, so I'm not surprised that the score report results are always out of 120.

And, yes: the companies don't make it very easy to figure out scoring. To be honest, I think this works more to the benefit of test takers than otherwise.

jkwain, if your scores in three domains went up, and especially if your score in the remaining domain didn't go down, I am guardedly optimistic on your behalf.

6. mfloyd86

mfloyd86 Rookie

Mar 18, 2016

I really appreciate your responses and plethora of information. In your experience, do the raw scores which reflect the number of correct answers also include the non-scoring correct answers?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 18, 2016

The test series with which I'm most familiar doesn't report numerical raw scores, let alone raw scores per domain, so in answering your question, mfloyd86, I'm operating on inference rather than experience - but I think the answer might be "It depends."

From what jkwain has told us, raw scores reported on the official score report will factor out the non-scoring questions, though I'd be grateful if you'd confirm that when you get yours. I think what we're hearing here is that the unofficial raw scores that show up onscreen WITHOUT the scaled score may reflect the total number of questions (which I reported, based on the Study Guide, as something like 49, 41, 25, and 25, and that does indeed add up to 140). What we don't yet know when the unofficial scaled score DOES show up onscreen is (a) whether the raw scores show up too - I'm sure someone who's taken an established version of 5018 can confirm this for us - and (b) whether the onscreen raw-score totals reflect 120 as a grand total or 140. But I'm cautiously sure (it's an oxymoron, but a useful one) that one isn't getting credit onscreen for questions that are later subtracted, if that's what you're asking.

(Praxis used to give a certain two-subtest exam that involved compensatory scoring: that is, a scaled score slightly below the advertised passing score would nevertheless be deemed passing if the scaled score on the other subtest came in enough higher than its advertised passing score. One test taker who had already passed the second subtest with a couple of points to spare paid for early unofficial results on the first subtest - one obtained them by phone, in those days, and many people did pay for them because the standard wait for scores was something like six weeks not counting delays in the mail. She was devastated when the voice on the other end of the line reported her scaled score as passing-minus-one and therefore non-passing. The official score report, when it finally arrived, still showed the subtest score as one point short of a full pass, but correctly reported that she'd passed overall. The moral, I suppose, is that Praxis doesn't generally go in for giving false hope.)

8. lynteach

lynteach Rookie

Mar 21, 2016

Just wondering if you had a score report yet, jkwain! We are all rooting for you!

9. jkwain

jkwain Rookie

Mar 22, 2016

Not yet! THe testing window for the test i took ended Saturday (4 days ago) and it says 10 working days after the testing window so I think it will be posted April 1st. I am so nervous!!! I feel good about it but then I doubt myself so I don't know what to think. Have you taken it yet? If so, what were your scores?

10. mfloyd86

mfloyd86 Rookie

Mar 22, 2016

I'm so nervous, too! I have A LOT riding on passing this test or not, but, I'm sure we ALL do! I will definitely be posting whether or not I passed when I finally receive my official scores. I know it's at least helpful for people to compare scores, even if the versions of the test are not all the same. I'm sure they're close enough, though, to at least give future test-takers an idea whether they passed or not based only off of their raw scores.

lynteach likes this.
  11. jkwain

jkwain Rookie

Mar 22, 2016

Do you remember what your raw scores were for your scaled score of 173?

12. NOLATeach

NOLATeach Rookie

Mar 23, 2016

I got a 181 on the 5018 my raw scores were 36, 26, 18, 18

lynteach likes this.
  13. lynteach

lynteach Rookie

Mar 24, 2016

I don't take it until April 7. Studying constantly. It's sad because it seems the things I know, I am very confident in and know very well,but the things I don't know well, such as high level math, I feel as though I will never get! Good luck and please keep us posted!

14. lynteach

lynteach Rookie

Mar 24, 2016

Good luck mfloyd86! Hope you get great news soon!

15. jkwain

jkwain Rookie

Mar 25, 2016

was this out of 140 questions or 120?

16. jkwain

jkwain Rookie

Mar 25, 2016

The latest 5018 exam is 140 questions but everytime i get my score report, it says 120 possible raw points... so I am thinking they are taking out 20 or so questions from the 140 questions.

17. jkwain

jkwain Rookie

Mar 25, 2016

Sorry I posted on my reply lol. Was your test 140 questions or 120? The version I took recently was 140 questions but when i got my score report, it said 120 raw possible points. So they must be taking out like 20 questions from the 140 that I actually answered. I know some questions dont count so those must be them. THanks for posting your scores. It helps figure out or atleast try :)

lynteach likes this.
  18. NOLATeach

NOLATeach Rookie

Mar 28, 2016

I think it's common for 20 of the questions to not be counted in the final analysis. That's exactly what happened in my case as well. Also, I logged on to check for my scores 2 weeks after taking the test. My scores were available but I didn't get the actual email from ETS until 2 days later :)

19. JRS

JRS New Member

Mar 31, 2016

Hello everyone! I just decided to create an account and post today, but I have been keeping up with this forum. I called ETS and they assure me that those of us who took the new version of 5018 recently will have the scores by Saturday 4/2/2016. I took 5018 for the first time in Feb and it was 140 questions but only 120 counted towards my score. I scored a 162 with 82 raw points... not the best raw score, but it was almost what I needed ( I need a 163 to pass). I retested in March and scored a little better --- raw points 89 SO hopefully that means I reached the scaled score of 163. Prayerfully it is still out of 120 vs 140 raw points. Hope this helps.

lynteach likes this.
  20. imb1906

imb1906 New Member

Apr 1, 2016

Have you received your scores yet? I've been anxiously awaiting mine, and just got them in! I've been following this page and have been rooting for you! My possible score was out of 118, not 120 or 140. Which was odd, but either way I'm happy because I passed!

lynteach likes this.