PRAXIS 5018 Pass/Fail Question

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by KKCM, Jan 22, 2015.

1. JMaxon

JMaxon Rookie

Mar 8, 2016

2. jkwain

jkwain Rookie

Mar 8, 2016

I'm sorry, I can't find your reply... what was your score again? Thanks!

3. JMaxon

JMaxon Rookie

Mar 8, 2016

Sorry,
    I typed and deleted a reply several different times. I am a little bitter due to the number of times I have had to take the test and how it is scored. I didn't want to come across rude so I deleted what I was going to say all together. Anyway, to answer your question my latest score was a 148 (27,14,14,16). This angers me because my score before was a 153 (31,19,10,12) if you add both tests sub scores you will get a 71, but I scored lower on one than the other!?!?! The scoring is where it get unfair and complicated. Best advice I can give is be patient and pray you passed!! I am trying to pass Iowa's certification process which requires a 157.

4. jkwain

jkwain Rookie

Mar 8, 2016

What was your score when you passed? I have similar raw scores as you but I am waiting to get my scores.... just wanted to compare. I am hoping i passed!! thanks :)

5. jkwain

jkwain Rookie

Mar 8, 2016

thats ok! I know its frustrating. I went back and looked and I accidently messaged the wrong thread. I am sorry! My raw scores this past time (yesterdays test) were 33,24,15,17...

6. JMaxon

JMaxon Rookie

Mar 8, 2016

Those scores look pretty good!! Good luck to you!!

7. mfloyd86

mfloyd86 Rookie

Mar 14, 2016

Hello Everyone, This is my first time posting on this site and in a forum. I JUST got home after taking my first Praxis II 5018 test. Of course, I got an NS, so I don't know if I passed or failed! I'm dying thinking of having to wait another 2-3 weeks for my official scores, as I'm having to apply to an MAT program with a deadline of April 1st, not knowing if I even passed! My raw scores were 33/Lang. Arts, 28/Math, 15/SS, and 18/Science. I'm appalled at my SS score, as I thought I was really prepared! Any idea if that translates to at least a 163 (which is a passing score in Mississippi)?

8. Theresa Stutts

Theresa Stutts New Member

Mar 14, 2016

I just took the Praxis 5018 on March 14th, 2016 and it only gave me these scores:
    Eng/Lan 33
    Math 24
    S.S. 12
    Sci 16
    Does anyone know if that will be enough to pass? Colorado requires 163.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 14, 2016

Welcome to A to Z, mfloyd86 and Theresa Stutts, and hugs to you both. Since you didn't see unofficial scaled scores, we can infer that not even Praxis knows for sure right now whether or not your raw scores translate into passing scaled scores. You don't need me to tell you that your raw scores (which are out of 49, 41, 25, and 25 possible raw points, respectively) aren't very spectacular - but there's hope: if everyone's raw scores are equally unspectacular, then Praxis will take that into account when figuring out the raw scores that translate into a passing scaled score.

10. mfloyd86

mfloyd86 Rookie

Mar 14, 2016

Thank you for your reply! That does help...I just hope that everyone's were also unspectacular. haha. *sigh* *sad face*

Theresa Stutts likes this.
  11. Theresa Stutts

Theresa Stutts New Member

Mar 15, 2016

Yes thank you. About 8 years ago when I graduated college with my bachlors degree in teaching, I took the Praxis II and passed. However, since my husband was military and we had young children I had not taught as a regular teacher in a public school (only as a substitute and as a early childhood teacher at a Head Start). Therefore, when we moved to Colorado they wanted me to retake the Praxis II. So, it has been 8 to 12 years since I have taken my core classes and I am scared that I have lost too much knowledge. Plus, it wasn't helpful that there are no current study materials at any local bookstore (only 5014). Although I studied a those outdated materials, clearly I struggled. I'm so worried.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 15, 2016

Subject-matter test scores expire if one doesn't get a license with them, it's true. Try using your kids as study objects, so to speak: think about how to apply the terminology and concepts that you need to review to your kids (or their friends?) at various stages of their development. For that matter, study what you can of the content WITH them: a trip to a hands-on science museum is a great opportunity to practice one's use of science terminology.

Experience suggests that if you knew the content at one time, you can get it back. And you wouldn't be the first person, not by a long shot, to need to take a test like this more than once.

13. lynteach

lynteach Rookie

Mar 15, 2016

I have been teaching 1st grade and kindergarten for 17 years. Somehow the TN DOE lost my paperwork to renew my 10-year license and now I am being forced to take PRAXIS 5017, 5018 as well as the Teaching Reading test. I am most concerned about 5018 because of the higher level math. I am embarrassed to say that I am not doing well in the math on the practice tests as I have always taught K and 1. It has been 20 years since I have been in college! I am very nervous and anxious because if I do not pass, I will not be allowed to teach next year. The worst part is the DOE told me if I had not tried to rectify the situation, they probaby wouldn't have noticed it for years.......I could have already been retired. I am even driving 90 minutes from my home to be able to take it as soon as possible. Any advice?

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 16, 2016

You might try Khan Academy, www.khanacademy.org. Start with content you're fairly sure you know and work up until you've covered the topics in the Study Companion. If Khan Academy doesn't suit your style, you can find recommendations for other math help on Richard Byrne's blog Free Technology for Teachers, www.freetech4teachers.com.

lynteach likes this.
  15. jkwain

jkwain Rookie

Mar 16, 2016

Hey! I took mine 9 days ago and got Eng 33, Math 24, SS 14, and Science 17. I added up my raw score and its 88/120. I found some article online from ETS saying that their recommendation for a passing score of 163 is a raw score of 83/120... dont know how true or accurate that article was but it looked like it was legit. Tomorrow will be day 10 so I am hoping my scores will be posted, as it said 10-14 days :)

Theresa Stutts likes this.
  16. jkwain

jkwain Rookie

Mar 16, 2016

I just took Praxis II 5018 and the raw scores are out of 42,36,21,21 which equals 120.... are your raw scores for praxis 5018 or something else?

17. jkwain

jkwain Rookie

Mar 16, 2016

Hi! i am trying to pass 5018 too. I just took it on March 7th for the second time... I made a 160 last time. I need a 163 in LA to pass. I used the 5014 book to study because even though its the old version of 5018, its still the same information/content.... I have been out of college for several years, just finished my masters degree but haven't had to take social studies or math in years... there is no book out yet for 5018 but they said it should be out in May. If you dont have that long, study from the 5014 book. I also did quizlet for social studies and science. Also, I bought the practice test on the ETS website for 5018 and the english part is exactly like the real test, so i would study that for just english. The other questions for math, ss, science are so random that you really need to study those content areas in the 5014 book. It will have content areas to read and then two tests to take. Make as many notecards as you for social studies and science, as those are the hardest. Good luck to you!! I am still waiting on my scores to come in. I made Eng 33, Math 24, SS 14, Science 17

lynteach likes this.
  18. jkwain

jkwain Rookie

Mar 16, 2016

I think you are referring to the old test, 5014, which is out of 140 raw points. They changed 5014 to 5018 in August and its now out of 120 raw points.

19. mfloyd86

mfloyd86 Rookie

Mar 16, 2016

I'm confused. I took the praxis 5018 and had 140 questions, just like the ETS info and study guide said it would. I read online about the raw 83 converting to around a 163 out of 120 as well, but figured that no longer applied given that the test now has 140 questions. I've read other posts from others who said that the 120 question test was what it was when it first was updated from the Praxis 5014.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 16, 2016

Possibly, though my source for the 49, 41, 25, and 25 was in fact the current 5018 Study Companion, or so my browser tells me.

One possibility is that your source for possible raw scores is an official score report, and that takes into account the "non-scoring" questions (the questions that are being field-tested for future tests, so they count neither for nor against the test taker). The online Study Companion is what I can access for this test; naturally it will list the total number of questions in each category, and it wouldn't surprise me to find that the unofficial results on a new version of a test - one for which the raw-to-scaled mapping is still being established - also don't compensate for the non-scoring questions.

But if you're establishing that I don't specialize in Praxis tests, you're right, though that might not be a very useful thing to do.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016