PRAXIS 5018 Pass/Fail Question

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by KKCM, Jan 22, 2015.

1. KKCM

KKCM New Member

Jan 22, 2015

Hi there! I have never posted on a forum before, but Google is not helping, and I'm hoping someone here can! I just took the PRAXIS Elementary Content Knowledge Exam (5018) and I have no clue whether or not I passed. I've taken two other PRAXIS II exams, and I was shown my passing score on screen before I left the testing center both times. Today, I was only given my raw score in each section (33 in LA/R, 26 in Math, 19 in SS & 16 in Science). I have a sinking feeling this means I failed, but just in case I didn't I'd like to know.

Thanks for reading!!!

Update: I did pass after getting my score report 11 business days later. Thank you all for the feedback and for those taking the exam or waiting for the result, good luck!!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 22, 2015

I think Praxis might have gotten out of the habit of posting scaled scores and passing information immediately.

The Test Companion, http://www.ets.org/s/praxis/pdf/5018.pdf, says you faced approximately 49 questions in ELA/reading, approximately 41 in math, and approximately 25 each in social studies and science. Chances are that some of those questions are what Praxis calls "pretest" - they don't count, because they're being tested for inclusion in future exams - but for the sake of the worst-case scenario, let's assume that they all do count. Then you've got 33/49 of ELA/reading points, or about 67%; 26/41 of math points, or about 63%; 19/25 in social studies, or about 76%, and 16/25, or about 64%. Scaling the score is intended in part to compensate for the inevitable differences in difficulty among questions, so these percentages aren't the whole story - but if Tennessee's passing score is 160 or below I think you've got a chance here.

4. KKCM

KKCM New Member

Jan 22, 2015

Thanks so much for your reply!! I have to get a 163, but I just want to know either way for sure.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 22, 2015

Hugs. The waiting isn't easy.

6. melfrady

melfrady New Member

Jan 23, 2015

I received NS too! Ugh!

Hey there! I took the Praxis 5001 today......I don't think my raw score looks as optimistic as yours......raw scores: Reading 43, Math 26, SS 38 and Science 31. I was STUNNED when I received NS instead of the actual score and then I read the raw score. Not a great feeling BUT I'm trying to remain optimistic, especially after reading the previous comment about some questions not counting??? IDK. Good luck to you! Please update us if you find out and I will do the same as well!

7. TeachOurKids

TeachOurKids Rookie

Feb 1, 2015

Took Praxis II 5018 test in January 2015

I joined this forum because I could not find detailed enough information on 5018 scores (raw vs. scaled), but thought others could benefit from what I learned.

Originally the new Praxis 5018 had 120 questions with a 2-hr window. When I took it, it was 140 questions with a 2.5-hr window. CO Dept. of Ed (CDE) mentioned in one of their bulletins from June 2014 that the new scaled score for 5018 is 163 which translates from an 83 raw score (163/200 is 81.5%. and up from 147/200 (73.5%) for the 5014). That was 83/120 (69.1%) raw score points. There is no revised info for the #/140 question test. I called the CDE and the customer service person did not have any information for the new raw score either. ETS would not tell me anything except that the tests would have to be graded at least twice and official scores would be ready by three weeks after the testing window closed.

I took the new Praxis II 5018 during the January 12-23 window, for which I am still awaiting the official results - due by mid-February. My score screen showed NS also, but my break down was:
    L.A./Reading 38/49 (77.5%)
    Math 29/41 (70.7%)
    SS 17/25 (68%) boo, just one more correct would've helped
    Sci 20/25 (80%)
    total raw points 104/140 (74.2%)

I began studying in October using the old 5014 study guides (various versions) and taking all of those practice tests. In December, I finally signed up for the test. I used Google to find answers for some of the topics ETS lists in it's study companion and I also bought their practice test. At first, they sent me the 5014 practice test (which was not on the site to buy!), but I though it was my mistake so I took the test - 96%! Wow! After I doubled checked that I should have received the 5018 test (I needed to have the feel for the revised test), they sent me the link for that interactive one; I got 77% on it. Hmm.
    I felt I prepared myself as best as I could once that weekend before the test rolled around, however, I got nervous that night before over what I thought could be a registration error (and therefore would not be allowed to test) that I only got two-hours of sleep and we had a snow storm. Ugh. I took the test, of course, but was not at my best.

Understand that Math (know up through Algebra II), Social Studies and Science questions have fewer changes over time - at least not enough to impact a change on the test that would affect your score greatly, but certain methods within L.A. and Reading do. SS is such a huge topic that you can't know everything about everything! ETS said that they will not make any 5018 study guides, but test takers will need to do their own research. College students should use their text books and class notes. I am not a current college student, but do have a BS which I received many years ago. I suggest going over each topic listed (the TOC is 9 pages long - double columns), purchase at least one practice test and use various study guides (from your public library) and educational websites/searches.

I will update this thread when I get my scaled score so you can at least have a rough idea of what raw percent (mine, in particular) is passing or failing. I hope the rest of you who post here will do the same. Thanks!

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

Feb 2, 2015

I purchased Facts on File books from Half.com for peanuts in any subject that I didn't feel really comfortable in, and that is for all of the Praxis II exams I took. The information is succinct, to the point, and easy to understand and find. Side benefit is that I can use these books as references within my classroom, and I have. Retaking the practice test until you nail it with great proficiency actually is a learning process, since you will be referencing the questions you don't know

Best of luck to you test takers - I am glad to have this test behind me, even though I am considering the MS SS exam to add that endorsement to my resume since I am now working with some MS students. The waiting is the pits, but it is just the nature of the beast!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 2, 2015

That 68% clearly bothers you, TeachOurKids. But the breakdown by domains is for your information; it has nothing to do with whether you pass or not. The reason is that one passes a Praxis test or subtest as a whole. That is, it matters not how low one's score is in a particular domain provided one scores high enough on some or all of the other domains to compensate.

A couple of points:

Praxis scaled scores don't begin at 0, they begin at 100.

Scaled scores exist because, while questions inevitably differ in difficulty, makers of teacher tests want to ensure that each scaled score of 163 on 5018 represents the same level of performance. Rather than try to make each question equally difficult, it's a whole lot more practical to concoct an algorithm that factors in comparative difficulties of question. The result, though, is that a one-to-one mapping from percent of raw points to scaled points is not possible in the absence of that algorithm, so percentages really can't accurately be calculated down to tenths of percentage points. down.

10. TeachOurKids

TeachOurKids Rookie

Feb 2, 2015

Thanks TeacherGroupie. You seem encouraging to KKCM regarding his/her raw percentages based on your earlier post I quoted below, plus CDE had published a raw score equivalent to a scaled score, so I was wondering if anyone had a ball-park range on the passing raw percentages. It seems that you have a better idea how this all works than I do.

Maybe it's a good thing they are taking more time scoring the 5018 since now they've added more questions mid-stream and have had more test-takers struggle with it those first months.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 3, 2015

Score reports are always delayed for a while when a test is introduced or substantially revised. It's not really about test takers struggling, at least in the state that I know best. Instead, it's more about having a number of veteran teachers, teacher educators, and subject-matter experts go through the test and rate each question question: is this a question whose answer should be known by any beginning teacher in this field? or by a pretty good beginning teacher? or only by a veteran teacher or an expert in the subject matter? Results of those questionnaires are then subjected to a range of statistical analyses the point of which is to determine for THIS version of THIS test a raw score that correlates to passing-but-just-barely. The results from that go back to the panel for discussion; the test company does some more statistical tinkering; and what results is a series of recommendations about which raw score goes with a barely-passing scaled score. The state's teacher-preparation office can decide to accept, reject, or amend the recommendations; the promised test-score release date builds in some time in case the teacher-preparation office rejects the recommendations, in which case it's not quite back to the drawing board but pretty close.

Naturally, the questions that only stronger candidates are likely to know will be weighted a bit higher in the scaled score than questions that one expects any candidate to be able to handle easily.

As for KKCM, you'll notice that I stopped well short of guaranteeing a passing score. I was also careful not to calculate percentages down to three places. We simply don't have enough information to be that precise. And the ruckus over the passing rates from Indiana's new tests have something to do with my caution.

As for you, I don't think your chances are bad, but it's a new test and there's a lot we don't yet know.

12. TeachOurKids

TeachOurKids Rookie

Feb 3, 2015

Thank you so much! That explanation helps so much! I appreciate you taking the time to outline how it all works. It also explains why some questions seemed so easy and some others more obscure where much more inference was necessary.

13. TeachOurKids

TeachOurKids Rookie

Feb 6, 2015

Passed Praxis II 5018!

I received my scaled score today: 188
    My raw score on my "form" was 104/140.
    My state requires a passing score of 163.

kellyb1221 likes this.
  14. KKCM

KKCM New Member

Feb 6, 2015

To anyone reading this thread I just got my score report and I did in fact pass! Now just one more Praxis to go!!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 6, 2015

Well done, TeachOurKids and KKCM!

16. new2teach15

new2teach15 Rookie

Feb 19, 2015

I will be taking the praxis 5018 test later this year and wanted to see if you had any helpful study tips for those of us who will be taking the same test. It seems as though there are not a lot of study guides available since it is a newer test. Thanks

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 19, 2015

Sure: worry less about study guides that are specific to this test and focus more on learning and understanding the content. One good trick is to find a technical term in the free online Test Companion study guide - it can come from the overview of the test's coverage, from one of the sample questions, or from one of the explained answers - and look it up on your favorite search engine. If you look it up on Wikipedia, the article that results should contain other links that you can follow up for more information. (This is one of the two great uses of Wikipedia.) You can also rummage around the Web for subject-matter help, and Richard Byrne's remarkable blog Free Technology for Teachers, www.freetech4teachers.com, is a good source for possibilities (you'll need to do some searching).

18. new2teach15

new2teach15 Rookie

Feb 19, 2015

Thanks for the feedback. I have printed off the study companion for the test so I will look that over.

19. Futurecoach

Futurecoach Rookie

Apr 9, 2015

What was your score

20. young1041

young1041 New Member

Apr 10, 2015

Your Score?

Hey! I am trying to figure out my score as well, if you do not mind sharing... what was your scaled score?

21. young1041

young1041 New Member

Apr 12, 2015

When did the 5018 test switch from 120 questions to 140 questions?