Praxis 5001 - took and passed! Thoughts and tips

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by ladybee4, Feb 19, 2017.

1. ladybee4

ladybee4 Rookie

Feb 19, 2017

Hey!

I took the Praxis 5001 yesterday and much to my surprise appear to have passed all four sections. Thought I would share thoughts and tips in case it can help anyone. I am generally not a good test taker and have been out of school/work for over 12 years raising kids.

Had a month to study for the test. I freaked out midway through the month when I realized how tough the tests would be. Basically gave up studying after that. I studied social studies for 1.5-2w about an hour a day, and LA very briefly. I did not study math or science at all. I did take the praxis math core last year though, so some of that knowledge was still in my head. I took the RVE (reading for VA educators) last month, and gained reading/la knowledge studying for that test. I figured if I was lucky I could MAYBE pass one or two sections in in the first go, and take the individual tests later on. I did purchase this study guide on Amazon, but only got around to studying 1/3 of the book (all the SS!).
    Praxis II Elementary Educations (5001) by Mometrix (yellow and black book with "SECRETS" on cover

The study guide is laid out very well. The videos on youtube (type in Mometrix and a subject) were invaluable! I am a visual learner and these REALLY help. I would listen to the SS/history when driving the kids around. The girl who does SS is my favorite and though her videos are wordy, they were a discussion and helped me remember so much.

My exit scores were LA - 169, Math - 165, SS - 163, Science - 173 (needed 157, 157, 155, 159 to pass)

LA - You def need to know about prefix/suffix, prosody, and onset/rime. Those have been all my tests. Need to know the basics of noun, pronoun, adjective, verb. There were several passages I had to read and figure out the main point, the tone etc. Several questions on ELL and the best ways to teach them. A lot of these are common sense if you break the question down.

Math - Most of the math questions looked scarier than they actually were. I knew very few formulas and was able to figure things out by breaking them down. This part was the least fun for sure. Definitely need to know PEMDAS and solving basic equations. How to find the volume of a figure. Take your time here.

SS - Not going to lie, the toughest section. The problem it that you really need to know so much information so you can compare and link things together in different time periods. The youtube videos and study guide were invaluable to me here! Most questions required critical thinking and understanding of various events to answer one question. There were a lot more questions on economics, trade, market economy etc. than I was expecting. Should have studied that a LOT more, made best guesses. Need to know basics of WWI and WWII specifically why we entered each and the impact of each. Learn about Louis and Clark, The Missouri Compromise, Louisiana purchase, and the Cold War. Also some questions of where the equator, prime meridian is etc. Unless you are really good at history/ss I would spend the most time studying here. This is info you just have to learn.

Science - I did not study science at all and am not a natural. Most of the questions are common sense honestly. I was able to link life experiences and general knowledge to help. Several questions about classes of animals and vertebrate/invertebrate. Questions on type of rocks formations, one on the planets, electrons/protons, dna, know the basic organ systems, know common scientists, read about insulin and glucose, liquid/solid/gas specifics, basics of motion and force. I believe the only reason I knew these answers was because I did some homeschool with my 4yo last year.

My biggest recommendation is to remain calm and really dissect the test questions and possible answers. There were MANY questions that seemed impossible at first glance. After reading them again slowly and connecting knowledge I was able to narrow down the answers and make educated guesses. A lot of the questions aren't really as hard as they seem, the language can just be overwhelming.

Good luck!!

3. ARTeachernj

ARTeachernj New Member

Feb 20, 2017

Thank you I was just looking for some advice on how to study for the Praxis II, this was helpful. I feel so overwhelmed and I do not know where to begin...

4. 5KidsMom

5KidsMom New Member

Mar 25, 2017

LadyBee4, Congrats on the pass, and thank you for this post! It is quite helpful. I will be taking both the Praxis 5001 and RVE next month (on short notice). I have a few questions regarding both, if you don't mind taking some time to answer.

I bought the "Secrets" book, you mentioned for both tests. Are the practice tests in the book harder than the actual 5001? I paid for a set of practice exams through ETS (Form 1) and found them to be WAY easier that what's in the Mometrix. I passed both the science and social studies tests from ETS only missing 3 questions and only missed 2 on the math. I didn't do nearly as well on the Mometrix tests. I almost feel ETS practice test was so easy, they're trying to set me up to fail, so I'd have to pay to retake. How did the actual 5001 compare to the Mometrix practice?

Regarding the RVE, was it harder than what's on the LA section in the 5001? I had originally planned on taking this in July, after taking a graduate reading course, but had to push it up early. I passed the middle school language arts (Praxis 5047) easily, but that was more literature based. The RVE more about reading stages and process, phonemic awareness, etc., so I'm a bit worried about it. Haven't dug too deeply into the study guide for that yet, so any tips you have for RVE would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!!

5. ladybee4

ladybee4 Rookie

Mar 25, 2017

I felt like the practice tests in the book were harder. I got so discouraged after the social studies one I did little of the others. The SS def seemed harder. On the actual test I was able to make educated guesses based on what I had studied. SS links together in different way and the more I knew and easier it was to narrow down the choices. I didn't take the paid ets test, but the free questions and study guide seemed more of a good indicator.

I felt like the RVE was harder, but it is also different. More about how your would teach and not just general LA questions. But when I took the RVE I only had to study one subject so that made me feel more confident as well. For the RVE I just printed off everything I could find online and started studying. You have to move past just knowing the definitions and really think about how to applies to teaching children those concepts and the challenges that might arrise

6. crazy49er

crazy49er New Member

Apr 4, 2017

Yeah I'm really curious as to how well the official practice tests you pay for (bought the 5001 practice form 2) prepare you for the actual exam. Im taking the test in a couple weeks but heard from multiple people all published books are now outdated and don't really help.

I also noticed there are 2 versions of the practice test but the 2nd form is said to have been published in sept of 2016 (supposedly around when the test was revised?) versus form 1 which was published in 2014.

not much info on that anywhere and not sure which sources of information regarding what to study are the most accurate. Really don't want to take this test more than once.

any feedback from people who have been down this road would be appreciated to help best prepare.

one other question: if i had to retake the praxis how quickly can i book a retake? Can you book another test before you take your first one just to secure a seat in case you need to retake? I'm aware of the 21 day time period that must elapse but it seems testing centers are first come first serve (trying to get this testing done ASAP)

7. nervouswreckteacher

nervouswreckteacher New Member

Apr 17, 2017

Hey! I'm taking 5004 SS this Friday. I've been studying various books, taking pretests and making flash cards. This will be my third time taking this test. The past two times, it has seemed like nothing I studied was on the tests. I've got to pass this test by a deadline or I'll lose my job. Please help! Do any of you have suggestions on what to study?

8. JenniG

JenniG Rookie

Apr 20, 2017

I decided to go ahead and take the praxis 5001 multiple subtest. I took the praxis 5018 (3) times and was unsuccessful. I feel I am stronger in the reading/language arts section so I have decided to schedule 5002 first. I will use the information you provided and wish me luck. Thank you! Have you heard or found the subtest less complicated than praxis 5018?

9. nervouswreckteacher

nervouswreckteacher New Member

Apr 22, 2017

Hi. I took Praxis 5004 yesterday. I received my raw score but am lost as to how to convert the score. I live in Alabama so I need a score of 142 to pass. Could anyone share their raw scores and what they converted to so I will have some sort of idea. My raw score was 24. Will someone please help me?

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 22, 2017

Please don't even bother trying to convert your score, nervouswreckteacher. If Praxis didn't give you an unofficial scaled score along with the raw score, it's because Praxis hasn't yet determined scaled scores. (The mapping from raw score to scaled score is a bit different for each version, because questions inevitably vary in difficulty.) I know that it's hard to wait, but your official score report will be along in due course.

11. cschumac88

cschumac88 New Member

Jul 10, 2017

I recently found out I have to take this test. I am already certified in the LA/Reading section since I have an English degree. Do you have to take the whole 5001 Praxis test? Is there a way to register for the ones I need - math and social studies? I'm guessing I have to take the whole test and then it will allow me to retest in only the areas that I failed. Thoughts?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2017

To pass the whole thing, you have to take the whole thing, yes. And since it's dispensed in four distinct subtests, if you take all four in one go, you can subsequently retake only the ones you didn't pass, yes (though chances are good that one must sign up for fewer-than-all-four-subtests one by one).

13. cschumac88

cschumac88 New Member

Jul 14, 2017

Thank you! Another question - when you take the test, can you choose which subtest to take first? Then, are each subtest timed, or is it all one time for the total test. For example, math is the one I need to pass, can I spend more time on that subtest than LA/Reading?

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2017

15. Lblack

Lblack New Member

Jul 14, 2017

Hello. I took the Praxis 5001 today and yes, each subsection is timed separately. You cannot spend more time on the Math than ELA. The ELA subsection is 90 minutes and the math is 60 minutes. You also cannot choose the order of the subsections you want to take. They are presented in this order: ELA, Math, Social Studies, and finally Science. I bought both forms of the ETS practice Praxis tests and they were a great help. I really only studied for about a week (all day long) and feel as though I was prepared. According to my unofficial scores, I passed every section. ELA-181, Math- 175, SS-173, Science-176. In most states you need ELA-157, Math-157, SS-155, and Science 159. Ladybee4 is correct, if you have basic knowledge of the content areas you can dissect difficult questions to determine the correct answers. Social Studies is definitely the most difficult of the subtest.

16. Bordeaux

Bordeaux New Member

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:32 PM

I recently took the Praxis in May and honestly it wasn't hard. The most difficult part for me ended up being the reading section as I hadn't slept very well the night before. But if you are stressing about the social studies portion you may want to watch the Crash course series on youtube related to history. I did for a week and scored a 195. The science portion is pretty straight forward as it's just testing your basic understanding of how the world works. Math I thought was going to be brutal, but ended up being no harder than a freshman algebra quiz. So do not stress, just study and watch some youtube videos and you will be fine.