PowerPoint or Prezi?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeachTN, Sep 21, 2013.

1. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Sep 21, 2013

Which do you prefer? I have been using PowerPoint so far, just made my first Prezi for use on Monday. I am being evaluated on Thursday and I am not sure if I should step out of the box again with Prezi or stick with PP....

Are there other presentation programs available to break up the monotony??

Thanks!!

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 21, 2013

I really need to look into Prezi for non-linear presentations. I prefer PowerPoint, but that is just me.

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2013

What is Prezi? I teach 95 minute blocks and rely on my PPTs to me through a good portion of that time. But if there is a better method; I'm all ears.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Aficionado

Sep 21, 2013

I used my first Prezi presentation for back to school night. I generally use Smart Notebook for most of my presentations, and will probably continue using it. Prezi seemed like a good format, but I'm a creature of habit. As far as I can tell, there was no way to use prezi off-line (in my... maybe hour and a half of being on the site), and that's a big turn-off for me, plus using a program designed for the Smart Board is very helpful.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 21, 2013

http://prezi.com/

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 21, 2013

Meh.
    I don't think it will matter if you use PowerPoint or Prezi. I'd worry more about putting must main ideas (and not entire lecture) up for students. I also try to find other media to support what I'm teaching (easy to add to PowerPoint) like super short video clips or animations.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2013

9. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Sep 21, 2013

I was thinking about that KU_alum - I like the idea that I can put a link in the PP and click on it to start it. I may stick with PP for the observation until I am more comfy with Prezi.

10. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Sep 21, 2013

Prezi makes me dizzy

11. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 21, 2013

I agree, and I think it can be a bit confusing for kids too.

I am a very linear thinker so I stick to PowerPoint.

12. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Sep 21, 2013

I don't like Prezi.

13. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 22, 2013

The big advantage of Prezi is that it can be accessed from anywhere since its an online program. The problem I've run into is that sometimes there's been technical difficulties with the site. I'm going to try using it again this year and hopefully with the upgrades they've done, it'll work properly now.

For my about me presentation, I used Haiku and loved it. It's a very simple presentation app that can be accessed from anywhere. I'm going to have the kids used that one too.

14. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2013

Prezi is terrible unless you are using it for very specific purposes like a timeline or flowchart. Even then I'd say PPT is just plain better. It can do everything Prezi can and so much more. Prezi is certainly "different" but that doesn't make it better. Powerpoint can be dreadful but that is not the fault of the program - just the user!

I am falling kind of in love with POWtoon though I must admit. It is a video presentation tool that is built like a PPT presentation. Extremely great for short bits of information.

15. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Comrade

Sep 23, 2013

i have never used Prezi. I use powerpoint all the time because I worked out how to do a google search for just powerpoints :)

Type "filetype:pps" then your topic, for example Lewis and Clark.

Then all the things listed are powerpoints. I then just download and use them, instead of making them myself.

I also use google presentations a lot too. It is very similar to powerpoint except it is online in your google drive. We use google for pretty much everything at my school. The students have chrome books, so they do all papers on google docs etc, and just share the folder with the teacher. I barely ever have to grade anything that is on paper, it is all on my laptop :)

16. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 23, 2013

You just use other people's PPTs for all your teaching?

17. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 23, 2013

I probably sound like a geek here, but I love PowerPoints. Even my students love my PowerPoints. :cool: Believe it or not, just one of them told me that today. :lol:

18. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 23, 2013

I believe he meant that, rather than reinvent the wheel every time, he finds relevant powerpoints online and incorporates them into his instruction.

I do the exact same thing with Smartboard Exchange. There's nothing wrong with it.

19. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Comrade

Sep 24, 2013

Obviously I do not use other people's powerpoints for all of my teaching.... but I often find them and change them for my needs.

Do you think I should not do that or something?

20. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Comrade

Sep 24, 2013

I also use smart exchange.... Anyone can use the powerpoints and smartboard lessons I have made also, I have no problem with anyone who wants to use them.

21. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 24, 2013

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. If a person has placed it on the Internet and it's up for grabs, then I think it's a boon to our profession we're able to share. In turn, maybe he will create something and pay it forward.

It's really no different than me creating a Word reading quiz and sharing it with others. Instead of a .doc, it's a .ppt. :)

Especially with the advent of Common Core, I think now, more than ever, we should collaborate and work together. Why reinvent the wheel (as JerseyGirlTeach points out)?