Power Teaching? Who's tried it??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by alielizadubois, Aug 24, 2008.

1. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Aug 24, 2008

Someone mentioned something about Power Teaching the other day. I had never heard of it, so I did some research and it seems intriguing.

I teach ESL to children in grades 3-5. I feel like some of the games, like Superspeed 100, a sight words game, would be really fun and useful.

I also really like the idea of having consistency yet variation. For example, the "Class: Yes", "Classity Class Class Class: Yessity Yes Yes Yes", changed up with funny voices, etc.

Has anyone else used some of these kinds of games and teaching practices?

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 24, 2008

I have (this year)! I am wondering if there are teachers who just use it sometimes, though. I have a feeling that I'll use it a couple times a week to begin and then maybe focus on it more over time.

I am also getting a new boy from another class tomorrow, so I have the excuse to introduce the Power Teaching procedures again! :)

4. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

I am a Power Teacher Trainer, and teach 8th grade science, and also use it with my college history classes. It has been tremendously effective for me.

Check out my website for a step by step walkthrough on becoming a Power Teacher. Click on the Big Six.

I am here for anyone who has questions.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

I spent Saturday at a Power Teaching seminar, and I think it's terrific! I'm going to use it with my HS kids. At the seminar, we had breakout sessions for all grade levels. It was great - try it!

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

At the training, Chris Biffle emphasized that you should review the big six every day for the first couple of weeks. I had thought that I would use it sporadically, but after the training, I see the value of sticking with the program.

7. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Aug 24, 2008

I really would like to try it, but how do I learn more about it, other than just visiting the website?

I understand that it really just becomes routine, but right now it all seems very foreign to me...

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

Watch the videos, and go to PowerTeacher's website for a walk-through. You can do it!

9. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

This is my first year trying some of the strategies. I do:
    class/yes
    teach/ok
    scoreboard
    -Even those simple additions have made a WORLD of difference. My kids are QUICK to remind each other to quiet down or follow directions. It is like a whole new lease on teaching (I sound like they're paying me!).
    But honestly, I discovered it over this summer, I'm 2 weeks into school (7th gr.) and it has totally changed the atmosphere of my classes. The biggest benefit has been how much better I feel. I'm not drained or cranky because my role has shifted from being the only person in the room who really cares about stopping misbehavior to being one of 27.
    I can't say enough!

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 24, 2008

Drat!! Tomorrow's the fifth day of school. Is it too late to get on the bandwagon again? They weren't so swift at it at first, though they were good about trying to embrace it! :) I think I'll go for two weeks from tomorrow.

11. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

I made signs and put them around the room - mostly to help me remember to use it! That has really helped me keep it going.

I've also added a couple of things. For the scoreboard, they earn points one at a time for positive behaviors. However, I've taught them that whenever we leave the room (to visit the library, go to an assembly, whatever), the points double. That really gets them motivated to do well when we're *in public*!!

It's also double when I have a sub.

12. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Aug 25, 2008

I'm a new teacher, next week school begins!
    I'm very interested in using these techniques with my 9th graders. I have 5 periods of 9th graders for Earth Science.

It's a pretty tough school so I'm interested to see how many of my students will embrace these techniques. I know that if I choose to do something I need to do it 100% every day. I'm hoping this is different enough that it is something that even the harder students will buy into instead of sleeping in the back of the class and never picking up a pencil.

I'm interested to hear about people using this in high school. I'm not a real animated and loud/boisterous person but I'm hoping I can tailor it to my own classroom style (which I haven't developed yet!).

13. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

This is my first year to use PowerTeaching strategies and I can't brag on it enough. I've been using Class-Yes, Teach-Okay, and the Scoreboard. The kids are quick to hush others up so that they don't lose out on the scoreboard. (For my scoreboard, they build or lose extra credit points on the next math test.)

I can't praise Power Teaching enough!

14. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

Make sure that you explain why you are teaching this way with older students. I have found that they buy in quicker when you explain the reasons behind the method.

Read through the Big Six on my website to get the basic step by step including the explanation.

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 25, 2008

I don't think so. I have introduced my class to the 5 Big Rules complete with hand gestures and review them daily. I have also taught them the Class/Yes and used it on a few different occasions for reasons other than practice. When I called "class" outside the classroom today, it took them a few seconds to figure out what to do. I plan on making signs for the 5 Big Rules this week. I have not introduced the game yet. I kind of want to hold off until they start losing interest. I'm not sure just how keen I am about teach/OK and all the hand gestures. I'm easing myself into PT this year.

16. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

Today was my second day teaching self-contained 5th grade at an "inner city" school. Oh...and it is my first year. I've heard so many "bless your heart" and "are you crazy" comments!

But...

Power Teaching is really working so well! In fact, my kids LOVE it, and we were pointed out as a class during an assembly on how wonderful they were.

So far we have done Class/Yes, the rules and gestures, power vocabulary techniques, scoreboard, "it's cool" and the line-up procedure. I knew this was great stuff, but I am thrilled with the response. It will only get better from here, and the activeness of it fits right into my personality and teaching style.

Later this week I'm adding "Teach/Ok" and trying out the SuperSpeed games. The power vocab will probably be my best educational weapon. I have a really active group with a lot of testing fears, and I think this is just what they need!

17. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

Fantastic! Keep going. Remember if you have questions don't hesitate.

18. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 26, 2008

Do you think with would work with preschoolers? I have ages 3-4, 15 SPE and 3 Typical peers.

19. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Aug 26, 2008

I've gotten two days down with my 7th graders. Most of them are on board and seem to be really enjoying it. I have a few who think they're too cool for it, but after I've given myself points on the scoreboard for their non-participation, they interact minimally. On the first day, we did class-yes, the scoreboard (I let the classes choose their responses i.e. might oh yeah/groan), rules, and teach-okay with the rules. I reused all of those today as well as making some gestures to go along with one of the big points of my lesson. For the most part, I think they really enjoy it. I'm so excited!