Power Teaching (whole brain teaching)?????

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sunnyd_83, Aug 12, 2009.

1. sunnyd_83

sunnyd_83 Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

Has anyone implemented this way of teaching? I'll be starting my 1st year of teaching in a few short weeks and am researching the heck out of anything I can get my hands on. I just found out that instead of the 3rd grade position I thought I had...I'll be teaching 4th. I've been you tubing things and ran across this power teaching technique, and it seems like it would be very beneficial. Has anyone used this method/know anything about it?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2009

4. sunnyd_83

sunnyd_83 Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

Thanks! I'll check it out pronto.

5. DocuiSedecim

DocuiSedecim Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

I use, and love, WBT

Sunnyd,

I used the program last year. I too was a first year teacher when I implemented it in my sixth grade classroom. I loved it immediately; more importantly, however, my students loved it! They took to it right off the bat. One of the procedures is to do "lines", my students liked it so much that on the last day they begged me to say "lines" one last time.

I am a WBT trainer, if you have any questions shoot me a message.

6. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

I use it and love it, too. I don't do everything, but the techniques I do use, are awesome. It keeps it fun for me and keeps my kiddos accountable. As long as you are consistent and have a positive attitude, you'll find that it works. Good luck!

7. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 13, 2009

One of the procedures is to do "lines", my students liked it so much that on the last day they begged me to say "lines" one last time.

They liked "lines" as 6th graders? I have only seen it on the videos with the little kids and thought the older kids would not take to it. That's good to hear.
    I have used "class/yes" and "teach/okay" with all grades with great success. I'm subbing until I get done with school. On Monday I start student teaching 6th grade and the teacher already knows about WBT so she'll be supportive about using it.

8. ssanchez

ssanchez New Member

Aug 13, 2009

My students pretty much loved everything about WBT. I have found that even though they want so badly to be "older" they respond well to most things. It is great. I have a friend who used it as a sub, and it worked wonderfully for her.

9. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

The scoreboard has been especially cool. I teach 6th and 7th graders and they get SO into it. It's nice because the points act as immediate rewards (but they're free) and then they also serve as longer-range rewards because they're building to a tangible reward on Friday.

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 13, 2009

Love it!

Use it!

Glad to have found it!

Recommend it (OFTEN) !

11. sunnyd_83

sunnyd_83 Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

I'm so excited about using it. I just don't think people around here know too much about it and since I'll be new to the school (a private charter school) I'm a little put off. I don't yet know the school "dynamic." It seems like such a great way to teach however. Does it take a specific personality to be effective?

12. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

13. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

It is a great way to teach, and any personality can use it. We have teachers who are high energy, and teachers who are very low key.

The key thing to remember is that this is a tool, adaptable by and for you. Think of it as a tool box, not a set of handcuffs limiting what you do.

I am also a trainer for the method. If you have questions be sure to stop HERE for the official site.

Go HERE to get a walk through on how to get started with the method. Ask any questions you have.

14. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 13, 2009

I'm spending a lot of time studying this method.

I am grateful that you are providing this information for free. I can't wait to try it in my classroom in September. This fits right in to my teaching style.

Thank you so much!

15. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 13, 2009

How does one BECOME a trainer... and are they considering EXPANDING training to other areas of the country?

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 13, 2009

How do I find out where a workshop is located?

17. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

You can contact Chris Biffle about becoming a trainer. PM me for his email link, or you can contact him through the link to the homepage below. He is easy to contact and very easy to talk to.

They are expanding all the time as new people come on board. PM me for details on how to get a seminar in your area.

For workshop information click HERE to go to the home page, and look for the announcements.