Power teaching questions

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by gumbita, Aug 15, 2008.

1. gumbita

gumbita Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

I just discovered the power teaching method last night, and it sounds intriguing. I teach pretty rough high schoolers so I am wondering if anybody uses this with high school and any suggestions they have to make it work and get my real and wannabe gangsters to buy into it.

My second question is about the "scoreboard". Say I start this with "Class-yes" on the first day - obviously they won't have homework on the first day - we'll probably barely get through classroom procedures and the syllabus, and I imagine as the year goes by the students would get bored of "playing" for less homework. The only other reward I could think of would be a couple minutes of "free time" at the end of class. Any other suggestions? Thanks!!

3. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

Check out my website on how to become Power Teacher. I am a Power Teacher Trainer, and use the method with middle schoolers, and college history students.

One way to bring in older learners is to explain exactly why you are using Power Teaching (teaching to all three senses at once) and I can give you more details if you like.

The scoreboard game can be used for a lot of different things. One favorite is free time. My kids get one minute of free time each day they win the game. We bank them and they cash in Friday afternoon.

Any more questions? I will be glad to help.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2008

Regarding the homework on the first day - normally, I wouldn't give any, but because I want to introduce the scoreboard, I'm just going to post "homework" and keep score. Then I'll assign them to summarize what we did in class in that many sentences. I figured that would be easy and would give me an idea of who will actually do homework for me.

5. am elisheva

am elisheva Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

I wish I had paid more attention to this earlier this summer! Just saw some youtube videos myself but I can't incorporate new things with only 1 week left before school starts. We also had a lot of training on Fred Jones, so I'm going to go with that for now...but if I can go to one of the seminars, then I will start to include that as well...when is the next seminar anyway?

6. Electron

Electron Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

I use a lot of stuff from PT. One issue is that my district may soon forbid the use of "homework as punishment" (their words). If this happens, the scoreboard game is going to get a LOT less motivating than it has been before...

7. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

Remember that with the Scoreboard Game you don't really add any homework if they lose. They either get less homework than you were going to assign, or they get the amount you assigned to start with not more.

8. Electron

Electron Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

Yep, that's how I've always done it. I'm in the clear because I made that fact obvious to my district administrators today (fortunately, my school is very near the district office).

In any case, the kids (HS 12th graders in science electives) love it. I don't use any of the procedures verbatim; for example, I use a "Hey!" from me and another "Hey!" back from them in the place of Class-Yes, but of course the mechanism is the same. To be honest, these are really good students - I could do without PT, but I use elements it because it helps keep things fresh and fun.

9. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Aug 20, 2008

I'm planning on trying the scoreboard for a week long contest between my class periods. The scoreboard will be ongoing thru Friday. One of the rewards I plan to do is a "Junk Food Friday" where students get to bring there own snack and drink to enjoy during class on Friday. I love it because the reward doesn't cost me anything.