Political editorial to students from principal; Is this ethical?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by BRX, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2018

But I didn't say that.

2. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 15, 2018

When I said people who for whatever reason agree with parts of the administration should not be alienated from the community, you called them Nazis.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2018

Nazis are an example of a group of community members who would feel alienated by such a message. An unfortunate truth is that nazis, a term I'm using to describe white supremecists and the Alt-Right, are solid supporters of Trump.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2018

Look. It's clear that I'm in the minority on this one. I'm not going to change my mind, though.

I do believe that we have an obligation to speak up and out against what is wrong. I can't get too upset with the principal in this situation, based on what was written here, if he feels the same way I do. I still haven't seen the letter, so I don't know exactly what was said. I might adjust my position slightly based on the contents of the actual letter.

In normal times with normal political disagreements, I wouldn't support a move like this. I think it's okay to have opposing viewpoints, and I think that it makes us stronger as a nation and society. What we have here isn't opposing viewpoints, though. These aren't normal times. It feels to me like we're in the middle of something big, and now is the time to decide which side we're going to take. I know which side I'm on. I'm comfortable there.

Backroads likes this.
  5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 15, 2018

And so are plenty of extremely boring, decent people.

6. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jan 15, 2018

If you believe that, then you do that in your role as private citizen. You don't use your role of principal or teacher.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2018

Do we know that this school is a public school? Does it matter if it's private? Honestly, do we know that the letter exists at all? I'd expect something like this to be in the news.

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 15, 2018

I spent some time making cookies/bathing kids trying to decide how to respond to this. I respect what you said here. What might be on your mind, I probably don't disagree with all of it. I do fully believe, as I have said before, the community has the right to speak up for itself.

But I can't agree with a letter from someone in such power that is potentially (like you, I don't know exactly what the letter said) using such simplified political broad brushstrokes to divide a community.

Personal note: I try to avoid putting out my politics in places like this, but I am not a Trump supporter. I run conservative, but in a different direction. My father-in-law is a Trump supporter. He has his reasons, I have learned from family debates. He is also one of the best people I know, a huge supporter of helping immigrants, giving them places to stay, getting them food and decent jobs, decent support.

If his grandchildren were rejected by the school community because all anyone bothered to look at was that he voted for Trump because a principal decided to run a bad, emotional letter, well, that's not helping anyone.

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 15, 2018

The OP said it was a public charter.

Not everything makes the news, or at least big enough news to be easily found.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 15, 2018

Our admin sent out a letter to inform parents that our school would do whatever was possible to protect our students born in this country to parents who were not here legally. Nothing about Nazi's or abortion, but assurances that we would help make available legal assistance to protect the rights of their US born students. In our student population, these are words and intentions that the parents need to know. Trump speaks without always having all of the facts at his finger tips, creating angst and distress for these families. In this situation, I feel that our school is clarifying tweets from the president so that our immigrant families know that we will do our best to legally support their children, our students. I just wanted to clarify what admin is seeking to make clear for parents who may be confused..If we can ease their burden, it is the right thing to do IMHO.

11. BRX

BRX Rookie

Jan 21, 2018

Thank you all so much for the feedback. It's intetesting to see so many different stances on this, and the arguments for, and against, the appropriateness of this letter. I wish I could post the actual letter that went out, but I can't risk losing my job. For the record, I work at a public charter school, and many of my students' parents are immigrants. Here is an excerpt from the letter:

"Yesterday in meeting at the White House, the president is alleged to have made some very disturbing comments about our community. He has not denied making these comments. While the comments were deeply disturbing, I was not surprised, as our community and our country's values have been under assault all year. I myself am from a country targeted in presidents first message of the year."

Again, I am in no way saying that this is letter definitively crossed a line. I feel it did. But I posted on here to find out what the popular consensus is, and to find out if this was in fact an acceptable message to students. The administrators all approved of this and were proud of the principal for sending it. Some staff felt weird about it.

12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jan 21, 2018

Your principal would do well to have someone proofread their letters before circulating them. It is riddled with errors. That does not reflect well on a SCHOOL.

It reminds me when I was driving once and I saw a school billboard that said, “School back n sesion.”

13. BRX

BRX Rookie

Jan 21, 2018

Futuremathsprof,
    I rewrote the text excerpt so I could post it here. I couldn't copy and paste the original. Grammatical mistakes could be my own.

14. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 21, 2018

I might have to see more of the letter. Even with this, though, I feel it's possibly slipping into iffy territory and even waxing a little personal.