Polar Express Theme

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by 4myclass, Dec 8, 2005.

1. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Dec 8, 2005

:) Next week, I am doing a Polar Express theme with my class. I got some great ideas off the Polar Express website, but I could use more that are preschool related. We are planning on having a pajama reading party where we will read the story in the morning while "riding a train" and watch the movie in the afternoon. I plan on setting up the chairs in rows like train seats and giving the students tickets to be punched. We will also serve hot chocolate and train shaped cookies during the movie. I also plan to give each child a bell to help them remember their experience.
    What I am needing is help with more ideas to use in centers, plus math and literacy lessons. Our letter of the week will be E for Express. I am having trouble finding anything train related that I could use with my students. Most of my students are four years old.
    Any ideas?:thanks:

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2005

Hoover, can I come too?! That sounds like lots of fun!

You could do things with dye cut trains...alphabet matching (upper and lower) and numeral matching. Do you have a near by resource shop where you could find dye cut trains? You could make your own too if you find a smaller version of a train to print out.

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 8, 2005

littlegiraffafs
    has some ideas, not sure if I spelled it but I think you can getideas there.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2005

www.littlegiraffes.com
    Hoover, I have a lot of the same things planned for my class. We are also making books called A Winter Train Ride. It is based on Brown Bear Brown Bear..........and each page tells about the story of the polar express and the children draw a picture inside the train to go along with the words. I found it on the internet somewhere , but I don't remember where, sorry. If I can find it, I'll pm you or list the address on here!

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 8, 2005

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2005