Pointer Sticks?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by armygirl8894, Jul 27, 2007.

1. armygirl8894

armygirl8894 Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

:help: Anyone know where I could find pointer sticks? You know the kind that have cute cutouts of wood like animals or some cute little character on a dowel stick. The pointers teachers use to point out words in big books or the alphabet on the wall, etc. Do teachers make these or can you order them from a specific teacher catalog or a specialty catalog?

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 27, 2007

Try your local teacher store. I got two large ones and one small one there. I also got some free from Highlights magazine. I also use a lot of fly swatters. I also make my own with wooden dowels and glitter, antennae balls, etc.

4. TripleJ

TripleJ Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

I've also used paint stirrers as pointers. When using the stirrer on the overhead you can "pull" the words out. What I mean is that when you are using an overhead, put the paint pointer overshadowing the word you are emphasizing and pull it away from the wall. The word will become larger for the audience. Does that make sense?

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2007

I've never bought one specifically made for teachers. I've made one by stuffing a glove, stitching or gluing down all but the pointer finger, and attaching it to a dowel rod. I've used magic wands from the dollar store, flyswatters, and a funny plush flower with a long stem that I got at a thrift store. Someone gave me once that they had made with a styrofoam apple stuck on the end of a dowel. I like to put pencil erasers (the kind you buy to stick on the end of a pencil) on the pointer end so they are softer in the event of an accidental poking (the children use them sometimes). I've also made a class set of pointers by spray painting paint stirrers bright colors. I got those for free at a local home improvement store. They have really long ones you can get for stirring the 5-gallon buckets of paint, too.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2007

When I did my pre internship my mentor teacher had a basket with those fingers you get at Halloween...these looked like witch's fingers. The students would slip it over their pointer finger & have this "finger" pointer. It was really cute.

7. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I bought a pointer stick that has a hand at the end of it with the pointer finger pointing. They cost $6.95 (Australian dollars).

I use a flyswat with a rectangle cut out in the middle. It is big enough to highlight parts of words or words that are of interest. They're really cheap.

8. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

what about using a giant pencil?

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 27, 2007

I just have one from the teacher store. It has a wooden dolphin on it. We actually use it as a talking stick. Sometimes we point to maps... how are you using these? To read around the room? What grade?

10. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

For pointing around the room, I used fly swatters, back scratchers, "wands" (like fairy wands), and a foam "we're #1" hand that you get at baseball games. For pointing in Big Books (to circle words, punctuation) I used bubble blowers (large & small), wiki stix (that wax stuff), and colorful crazy straws. For pointing in their individual readers, students used popsicle sticks that they decorated or the slip on monster fingers (mentioned above by Diznee).
    I taught kinder for 4 years.

11. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2007

Can you tell how you make these? We tried it last year and it didn't work. What do you put onto the top of the stick?

Thanks!:)

13. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2007

I also have a great collection of pointers- once you get started you seem to see everything as pointers! I found a circus light saver, giant fly swatters, and even made my own using a dowel and a garden glove.

14. TripleJ

TripleJ Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

You don't have to make them, you can go to your local paintstore and they will usually give them to you for free. I have seen them painted, as someone mentioned earlier.

15. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 27, 2007

Lakeshore has great pointers. Also, I always look on the seasonal aisle for floral picks. They are a little bit smaller dowels, but they work well. I have found Eater Eggs and Scarecrows there for 25 - 50 cents! Another cute one to have is a long spoon (like a wooden spoon). You can find them at the dollar store. They are cute to use with cooking books (Stone Soup, Cook A Doodle Doo)

16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2007

I have 2 of the Hand Pointers, and paid $3 a piece. I've seen them in Scholastic, Really Good Stuff, and at local education stores. For my other pointers I have purchased cheap toys from the Dollar Tree (child size plastic golf club, noise maker wand-which after the first week I broke so it wouldn't make any more noise, and light up wands-that I never put batteries in).

17. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I went to Walmart and bought batons. They were the plastic ones that they sell in children's toys. They are filled with water and sparkly glitter. They are different colors and my class enjoys using them. I think they were only 99 cents apiece.

18. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Have you checked on ebay? I have seen them on there before. Good Luck!

19. armygirl8894

armygirl8894 Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

First, a BIG THANKS to everyone who replied! :) I never thought about making any. I thought it would be easier just to buy one already made. I know pretty silly. I've taken your ideas and suggestions and I'm off to the store. I was given some dowel rods by a family member and that's what sparked the posting about where to find these pointers. Now I know what I can do with them. Lots of ideas and cute ones. I think I'm going to try and make the garden glove one that was suggested.