Pls, I Need Help in Classroom Management

Discussion in 'General Education' started by A Tam, Mar 11, 2018.

1. A Tam

A Tam New Member

Mar 11, 2018

I am currently a math teacher at a private tutoring center. One particular class (3rd grade) has been especially chaotic, and I am at a loss about what to do. There are a few things working against me:

1. There are too many kids in too small a space. There is no room for me to walk around to stay on top of the students. Also, since I am teaching math and need to write on the board, I am spending a lot of time with my back toward the class.
    2. A lot of them don't care anyway, and some still fail to show up with notebooks or pens.
    3. During class, if I am addressing student A, then student B and C are talking. When I turn my attention to B and C, then A starts talking with D .... You get the idea; the kids are getting away with too many things because I can't keep track of every one.

I don't mind being mean. Rather, I am afraid that the kids know there isn't much I can do to them. (I can't hit them in America!) I spoke with several parents regarding their kids, but it doesn't feel particularly effective. The students regressed again after a while. Plus, do I really want to call up parents every week for something like this?

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Mar 11, 2018

You shouldn’t be thinking about hitting 3rd-grade children... What’s wrong with you?

4. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Mar 11, 2018

What's your set up for a class? How often are you lecturing at the board vs. using manipulatives, etc.?

Thank goodness Americans have that reputation. (??!)

5. A Tam

A Tam New Member

Mar 11, 2018

I grew up in China, where hitting was allowed. Moreover, I did not hit any one and have no plan to do so. Can I ask you to put my comment in its proper context now?

6. A Tam

A Tam New Member

Mar 11, 2018

I am at the board almost the whole time. There are too many people in the class and that's the only spot I have left. Last summer, when I had fewer students, I could sit next to some one and walk the student through a problem. I could notice the difference ....