Please pray that my students had made the right decision, and will act rationally.

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by Leatherneck for Life, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Leatherneck for Life

Leatherneck for Life Rookie

Feb 2, 2017

A few months ago, I made a thread asking for a prayer for one of my students who had gone through a... really terrible experience. Anyway, since then, she and her boyfriend had grown much closer. The families are also very close. This past winter break, the boyfriend and his mom had joined her and her dad on a trip to Norway (where the latter's from).

Anyway, the boyfriend proposed to her and she accepted. She has a ring and everything. All their classmates are like, "Aww" "Congrats!", etc. However, I'm sitting there thinking to myself, "You dumbasses, you're only sixteen! What the fuck do you know about marriage? Do you think you'll stand in that church, kiss, then dance at the reception and the credits will roll with the latest pop song playing?" However, I kept that all inside, and just said, "Congratulations, God-willing you'll have many happy years together." They claim they're going to wait until they're twenty-two.

Anyway, I am asking that you pray that these kids had really thought this through and made the right decision. Please pray that they'll use the coming years to consider all the finer details of what marriage entails. If they are true to each other, I ask that you pray that their marriage is blessed with happiness. You know, it's not like high school sweethearts never get married, it happens sometimes. I met my wife at the age of sixteen, and once we started dating I had never looked at another woman since. However, the word "marriage" never even crossed our minds until we were nineteen. We married at twenty-one. Anyway, please pray for these two that things go well for them and that before they commit to the bonds of marriage, they think absolutely everything through.

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 3, 2017

Well hopefully they will stay true to their word and wait till 22, and have some time to think it over. They may stick it through or they may not. Life is all about our choices, and the consequences of them.

4. Leatherneck for Life

Leatherneck for Life Rookie

Feb 4, 2017

Not really a very professional thing to say, but as a man who had once been a teenage boy, I can attest to the fact that many teenagers are fools when it comes to life. There is no other way to describe them but as fools. Sure, they can be geniuses in class, working on/with machines or electronics, and in creativity. However, when it comes to the basics of life, allow me to paraphrase Joe Clark from Lean on Me: They are still babies and don't know shit.

Well, it's not my business to interfere in these matters. If a student asks me for advice or opinions in personal matters, I'll give them a perfectly honest opinion, but in the end, it's their lives. The exception, of course, would be if the student has or knows one who has violated the law and/or is in danger. I know it sounds like I am trying to meddle, but I can assure you that I honor the professional line. I just care about my students and don't want to see them doing anything stupid like many people of my generation.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  5. Obadiah

Obadiah Cohort

Mar 18, 2017

I've been praying.