Please help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by abcd, Oct 26, 2018.

1. abcd

abcd Rookie

Oct 26, 2018

All of my students in both my classes have turned against me. They don't participate, don't co-operate and don't want to learn anything from me. How should I change the situation? When I try talking to them they flare up. Even if they don't shout their faces make it apparent. The administration might have got the hint too. What should I do now?

3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Oct 26, 2018

What year level are your classes? What behaviours do they exhibit that make you come to the conclusion that they don’t want to learn from you? Have you reflected on your behaviour or pedagogy as a teacher that may have contributed to this situation?

4. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Oct 27, 2018

It happens. Kids get ideas in their heads and talk it up among each other. I'd recommend keeping your procedures the same; an interruption to routine will only heighten the anxiety. Often a situation like this seems as if the entire class is responding negatively, but in reality, it's not every student. Sometimes too, a teacher only sees evidence pointing toward a potential problem and doesn't see all the evidence that points to less of a problem than suspected. The teacher's reaction to a supposed situation can increase whatever the actual situation is. We think like adults but kids think like kids. Your smile, encouragement, respect for the students, and professionalism will ride you and the class through this until either you find out what needs to be resolved or, more than likely, it passes over and is forgotten about.

5. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Oct 27, 2018

I have learned this through my student teaching experience. How is your demeanor?

Also What kind of school do you work at? I don't know if I agree with this advice but I was told by my advisor that sometimes students get group mentality and if one student is constantly being told to stop or getting in trouble they all turn on you to have that students back.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 27, 2018

If it is all students in both classes, that points to a pedagogical issue. However, I need a ton more information.
    • What age?
    • What grade?
    • What subject?
    • What type of school?
    • How long have you been teaching?
    • How do these students behave in other classes?
    • What classroom management plan do you use?
    • Have you requested help from admin or another teacher?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. abcd

abcd Rookie

Oct 31, 2018

what should i do. my assistant seems to have told my prin cipal that i Dont help some of the students. they are from her culture, they are openly rebellious, defiant, disrespectful and abusive. they said that they couldnt do something so i gave them easier work then they said that they actually wanted to do the other work. i told them to do the foirst one. everyones going to believe the studetns and myu assiostant . any suggestions?..............

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 31, 2018

Is there a reason that you gave them easier work instead of helping them with the original work?

Aces and otterpop like this.
  9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 31, 2018

It seems like we might need some more background information to give a thorough response here.

Aces likes this.
  10. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Nov 1, 2018

When you say they are from her culture, what do you mean by that? I sense this is part of your problem here. You have already separated out some of your students. Is your assistant right? Do you help some students more than others. And why would you give easier work? That shows that you don't expect anything of them. From the kids perspective, I can see how they feel.