Please Help - Opinions needed for dissertation

Discussion in 'Music Teachers' started by NatalieC123, Jan 8, 2019.

1. NatalieC123

NatalieC123 New Member

Jan 8, 2019

Hi, I am currently conducting research for an essay on the benefits of music on the whole education of a pupil. I was wondering if I could get some opinions on any of the following:

How does music stimulate the imagination?
    How does music improve mental concentration?

Any general opinions on the benefits of music education to a child's general education would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Natalie.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2019

I'm just going to mention the most obvious. Participating in a music program multiple years is beneficial to students who struggle in math. I'm not going into great detail, because it is my son's story to tell, not mine. He went from resource room to highest math group when he started the horn in 4th grade. The improvement in math spilled over into STEM, improving analytical thinking. Did it improve concentration? I don't know, but he worked had to keep grades up so that he could afford to take music classes all four years in HS. The self esteem and confidence grew, leadership abilities emerged, and he was as proud of his varsity jacket in Marching Band as he ever would have been with any sport. My only observation would be that some students hate music because they fear failure, or they don't understand music before rap. I think music genre is going to play a part in your outcome.

4. NatalieC123

NatalieC123 New Member

Jan 10, 2019

Thankyou so much, that's one of the most helpful replies I've had :)