Planning Ahead....

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Camel13, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Camel13

Camel13 Rookie

Dec 31, 2013

I will be student teaching in a predominantly 11th grade Biology class this next semester. With all the comments I heard from my professors in college to other people, it sounds like I will be busier than I ever have been in my life while student teaching. This scares me a bit as I have to commute to my school 30 min every day and make time for my ten year old daughter, step-son, and husband.

Since time sounds so precious, I am trying to prepare ahead whatever I can. I have the textbook for the class, and know right where the class is right now. I still am not exactly sure where my own lesson planning will fall other than the end of a chapter on genetics, and I will be covering evolution. Does anyone have suggestions on how I could effectively use this last week to get a jump start on student teaching? I have emailed my teacher with several questions but I have a feeling she is trying to keep her own Holiday Break away from school-related stress.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!:)

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 31, 2013

Get a crockpot and plan meals..get your homelife in order.

4. Camel13

Camel13 Rookie

Dec 31, 2013

Really?

That was useful

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Aficionado

Dec 31, 2013

Your CT will have more advice for you in terms of planning than any of us will. The best thing you can do for yourself is to streamline your home life as best as possible. Get your daughter and step-son trained to take on more household chores than they might be used to. Assign responsibilities. If you don't already have a family calendar, get one.

6. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Dec 31, 2013

:confused:

7. agdamity

agdamity Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2013

It's a little early to start lesson planning at this stage. You need to get in the classroom, observe how things go and how information is presented, and see how the pacing actually works. I agree with the others that organizing home would be more useful at this stage.

8. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Dec 31, 2013

I really think mrachelle87 was trying to be helpful, but it may have come across a little snarky.

Actually, planning meals ahead of time and using the crockpot a few times a week would be a great way for you to free up time in the evenings for your family. Less time making dinner!

I agree. You need to be in the classroom a little longer to see what pace your cooperating teacher and the students establish. Then you'll be able to plan your lessons!

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 31, 2013

I don't understand what was snarky. I was just giving a quick suggestion.

10. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Dec 31, 2013

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were being snarky, but I can see where it might be misconstrued as that. I apologize if you think I was putting you down! That was not my intention at all. :(

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Dec 31, 2013

Well, you talked about your home life. Your kids and husband. You asked about planning ahead. You said ANY comments or suggestions are appreciated. Yet, when someone gives you a hint about maybe preparing ahead for meals, you aren't very appreciative. (I won't call you snarky because that would just be snarky) :rolleyes:
    Getting your home life in order is a must. Organization in every aspect of your life is a must. Yes, that is helpful. :dizzy:

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 31, 2013

Breathe, everyone, please, okay?

Camel, I suspect that what mrachelle meant by the comment about homelife is that, if you're in the habit of seeing to meals and laundry and all the other household things yourself, student teaching is a really good time to see about getting the rest of the family to step in. (Think of it in teacher terms as "release of responsibility", eh?) It's not surprising that you're feeling a bit sore about how things are going to be: hugs to you.

As for mrachelle's comment, while it is a bit susceptible to misinterpretation, I'd hesitate to brand it as "snarky": to me that connotes a level of meanness of spirit, as it might to mrachelle, and I'm pretty sure that's not what Bookreader intended, either. Hugs to mrachelle and to Bookreader.

For everyone else, let me stand us all to a double round of hugs of the season.

13. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Dec 31, 2013

It isn't what I intended at all, and I truly feel bad that I made her feel that way. :(

ETA: Nevermind. I tried to explain myself better, but I'm afraid that I'm just digging myself deeper.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 31, 2013

More hugs, Bookreader.

15. geoteacher

geoteacher Cohort

Dec 31, 2013

I agree with the comment about streamlining things at home as much as possible! I would make sure that you are well stocked on basic supplies so that you don't need to spend time running to the store unnecessarily. Also, make sure that your children and spouse do understand that you will have more responsibility and they will need to assume some of the workload at home. Student teaching is a busy tine!

16. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 1, 2014

I have to agree with mrachelle, get home life in order. Make sure closets are organized and put several outfits together so mornings you are running late you can grab and go. Get in the habit of planning outfits on Sunday for the week for you and the kids. Pack your lunch and bag the evening before. Get a crockpot if you don't have one, make several freezer meals this week to gave on hand - either casserole meals that go straight into the oven or stews/soups you can prep ahead and put into the crockpot as you walk out the door.

Lastly, assume the other teachers are also going to be busy and some may give you quick answers that might come off short. Learn to take any help you can, they are trying to help, which is better than no answer at all.

17. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2014

Personally I think this is the best advice anyone could have given. Being a teacher is not just a 9-5 job. Many times I have no clue what is for dinner, our clothes are in A pile and our house is a mess. Every break I spend my time catching up on the chores of life, what I would like to be doing is spending time with my family,not telling them what chore to do. If you start now being organized and get into good habits before and during student teaching you will have half the battle won. My plan for the new year is to get things more organized at home so I can be happy at home as well as work.

18. Camel13

Camel13 Rookie

Jan 1, 2014

Appreciate the help

I was amazed by all the comments when I checked today. I apologize if my amazed comment to first reply was offending or sounded offended. I was just at first, like, "that's all the feedback there is?" No worries, and I did not mean to be mean either by my reply. I appreciate all the comments on home front organization. Due to being in college and holding three jobs at a time the past four years I have things down to a pretty good science as far as meals and home duties go. Somehow I keep feeling amazed that student teaching will be difficult since I get to go to one place each day and focus on one job. I have just felt that I should be working on planning for the classroom better right now. I've observed with this teacher numerous times this past semester, even for a couple whole days the last week before break, so I expect she might expect more from me sooner.

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2014

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2014

I definitely agree that having your house in order is the most important first step.

Beyond that, I think it's a good idea to try to plan one or two weeks out. Having a general idea of where you'll be going, lesson-wise, for the duration of your student teaching placement is a good idea. Making specific plans in advance for that whole time is probably unrealistic; if you do make plans, you'll likely have to revise them repeatedly due to needing to reteach information or in case your students catch the material more quickly or slowly than you've anticipated.

Find out what sorts of formatting requirements you'll have and familiarize yourself with them. You might even want to make a blank template for each day/week/unit (whatever suits your style and content) that can be filled in quickly as you write new plans.

Take a look at the textbook and figure out how you're going to get the material into the students' heads. Will they be reading it? Given notes? If notes, what kind? Cloze? Copying down your notes? Having to write their own? What sorts of assignments from the textbooks will you be using? Make a list of those for each chapter/section. What assignments and activities from other sources can you use? Search for them (Google is a great resource) and modify them to suit your needs.

21. Camel13

Camel13 Rookie

Jan 4, 2014

Thank you Caesar. Those are great ideas! And Kinderkids, the link is working and what a great resource to prep and freeze meals. Thank you, thank you!