Planks (An Ab Exercise) - Do you do it?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Major, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2014

I had to google "kettlebell" exercises. Watched a few video links. Looks like awesome (and brutal) exercises.

2. Harper

Harper Companion

Apr 5, 2014

I have to take a short break; it would be 3.5 minutes if I did not stop. With moving from one side to the other, it really is easier than just holding a plank steady; and it helps strengthen the muscles on sides of abs.
    1min. In regular plank, 30 seconds on each side, 15 seconds each side with leg in air (trying to build that number) then 60 seconds in regular plank alternating the leg that is in the air.

3. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Apr 6, 2014

I can't seem to hold a plank more than 15 seconds at a time. I need to do more of them since I have less core strength.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 6, 2014

I don't do planks. I tried once, I nearly died :) I couldn't believe how hard they are! Harder than doing a push up, in my opinion.
    I'd rather do crunches, which I also hate, but at least I can do.

I started doing hula hooping. I've heard from several people that they lost 30 + lbs in a few months, but they were doing it for hours. I know I can definitely feel it, I can't do it for hours, but I put on some music and 30 minutes goes by fast. I've had success with it in the past.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 6, 2014

I love planks. I did a 30 day plank challenge last summer and got up to 4 minutes. I found once I was past the 2 minute mark it wasn't as brutal. I do other core exercises in addition to the plank for variety. Everything feels nice and tight after doing plank exercises.

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2014

Interesting, MissScrimmage ..... I consider myself to be in very good (overall) shape but I find 2 minute planks to be "evil." Did you follow the "30 day challenge" precisely ... or did you work up to 2 minutes using a few extra days? ....... (To me the 30 day challenge is pretty demanding in it's latter part) ........

7. Harper

Harper Companion

Apr 6, 2014

Music makes all the difference for me. With music, planking is much easier. Just makes the time pass faster :)

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 7, 2014

I followed the challenged precisely, up to the 4 minute mark. I found the hardest transition was going from 1:45 to 2 minutes. After that it wasn't nearly as difficult to move up in increments. I stopped at 4 minutes because I found it boring to go any longer.

9. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Apr 7, 2014

I do planks with my ab exercises. My trainer has me do them for 30 seconds then back to bosu for the other ab stuff. Usually 5 rounds. It has made a huge difference for my back. I have 3 herniated disks and these have helped.

10. msaly

msaly Comrade

Apr 7, 2014

This. :lol: