Pinterest ideas you don't understand

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Aug 7, 2013.

1. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Aug 7, 2013

I thought the same thing about that pom pom pin when I saw it too. I was thinking how many caps would get lost, not to mention how much time it would take to glue those things on! My students keep their dry erase boards, erasers, and markers in their desks. I label everything, including the markers and the caps, with student numbers. I find it helpful, but a lot of my colleagues think THAT'S a waste of time. Oh, well. :)

I saw a pin that I thought was cute, but ridiculous. They had made beautiful containers to store student work. There was no way I was going to make one for all of my students because I didn't have the time or the space. Then I realized it was from a home school site.:lol:

2. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 7, 2013

My local radio station just had people calling in to discuss pinterest projects that don't work :)

I don't know that I'd spend the time doing it, but I understand the point of the project in the OP. I went through SO many markers last year b/c kids treated them like crap. Some of them would even push the ends of the markers in, so they became unusable, and I could almost never figure out who it was. For awhile I checked every time we collected them, but it wasted a lot of instructional time and would have gotten me blasted in walkthroughs. If I would have given them each their own to keep in their desk, they'd be stealing each others/losing them and swearing someone stole it. If they were labeled, that wouldn't be a problem. If you push in the end of the marker or keep drawing random stuff so it gets dried up, oh well...you get paper. I actually like the idea. I might do it if I was in regular ed this year...in sped I'll still use my markers/white boards but with only a handful of kids at a time it's easy to see right away if they're messing with them.

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 7, 2013

I bought black boy's socks from Target when they were on clearance. They work perfectly! The kids actually like putting them on their hands to erase.

4. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 7, 2013

I saw the same thing!

But then I went the direction of what my 3rd graders would do to the pom pom.

Fluffy stuff all over the place.

5. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Aug 7, 2013

My Mother in Law painted me a super cute stool with my name on it and she stapled a boa of feathers underneath it. It looked like I molted all year long. I would find yellow feathers all over my classroom. All the feathers are gone now and the stool is still cute without them, so they will not be replaced. I have a boa of feathers stapled around the front of my desk and they don't bother those. Go figure.

6. gottateachtx

gottateachtx Rookie

Aug 7, 2013

I agree with ya'll; that seems to be a lot of work for very little pay-off. BUT she sure is having fun!!! And experience is the best teacher, when it comes to figuring out these things!

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2013

So, if you don't want to buy socks... go to the craft center at Walmart or hit Joann's; find a fat quarter bundle (should have five coordinating fabrics that are 18x21 inches); cut each piece into four. Voila... erasers that last years!

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 8, 2013

I buy a few pieces of felt ($.35 each), cut them in quarters and use them for erasers. Cheap, take up little space, can be washed or just replaced, each year.

9. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2013

Ah, pinterest...it's a strange addiction. I never see much on there that I would use for HS, but I like it to collect project ideas for my personal life as well as handy tips such as a neat way to tie your earbuds up so they don't get tangled in your purse.

My main issue with pinterest is that while you can get some great ideas, it can also leave you (or me at least) feeling inferior, seeing all these amazing, cute things people are doing and then realizing you have no time to do it all...kind of like looking at fashion magazines makes you feel like you need to go shopping. It's a vicious cycle ;)

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 8, 2013

I'm cracking up that I can understand this sentence! :p

11. elleveeaych

elleveeaych Rookie

Aug 8, 2013

My main issue with pinterest is that while you can get some great ideas, it can also leave you (or me at least) feeling inferior, seeing all these amazing, cute things people are doing and then realizing you have no time to do it all...kind of like looking at fashion magazines makes you feel like you need to go shopping. It's a vicious cycle ;)[/QUOTE]

I agree! I'm going into my second year and this past year I loved pinterest because it gave me great ideas and got me thinking outside the box. However, I felt like I wasn't doing enough and my stuff wasn't cute enough and my room was neat enough and my anchor charts weren't artsy enough and I must have been somehow planning wrong because I don't have a teacher blog or TPT store....

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2013

I like looking at the ideas and adapting them for me to be easier or shortcutted. LOL!!! I like artsy stuff, but I don't want it to take all my time... I look at them and go, but if I used this it would cut my time down...

Or I look and go people really do that for a birthday party...No way. I'd rather spend money & time somewhere else... Speaking mostly of stuff you use and pitch...

13. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Aug 8, 2013

I actually did this, and it works! I put a clear coat on top, and it's been over a year. There is a bit of wear on one key, but other than that they still look awesome. I colour-coded the keys to match the doors (orange key opens orange door) and it makes it much easier when my arms are full or I'm in a hurry.

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 9, 2013

This thread prompted me to go take a look at Pinterest, and this is exactly how I felt! People who have classrooms that look like that must spend hours and hours on just that alone. I'd consider myself to be fairly organized, but not when I look at what others are doing! It's almost too overwhelming for me.

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 9, 2013

I raided the lost and found last year for those little finger mittens. Voila! Class set of white board erasers for free! The only problem is I was so stressed at the end of school I forgot to collect them back from the students - I think most went home :). Oh well, I think I have enough for this year.

16. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 9, 2013

I think the idea of labeling the markers make a lot of sense if you have a single group of kids. Some of them suck at putting the caps on and this makes them accountable.

17. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 11, 2013

:yeahthat: there are some great ideas for art projects and bullentin boards, but i shy away from classroom set up ideas because it feels like no two classes are created equal. like my room has no built in shelves, large window ledges, under window shelves and some of the other useful structures i see in the pintrest teachers pages.

i always wonder if the teachers who make all these cutesy things with impeccable classrooms have the same high expectations as other schools. how many of their kids read agl, ogl and bgl. how many esol students or kids w/i.e.p's, behavior problems, emotional disturbance.

whoops, going on a tangent. let me get off my soapbox

i know these things are found in all schools, but in my experience it has been more prevalent in lower income areas.

:yeahthat: plus i feel like school is becoming more and more about rigorous instruction and passing state exams then ''age appropiate activities'' so why should teachers be expected to focus their time on decorating things all cutesy? when i was in 1st grade, we took a half hour nap, our teacher had a rocking chair where we would lay on the floor listening to stories while visualizing and drawing our thoughts and we did a lot of handwriting practice, cutting and pasting activities.

none of that would fly at my school, even the visualizing and drawing pictures. Our P expects the kids to write and not draw. shes threatened to ban crayons from classrooms several times :(

18. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 11, 2013

I really like Pinterest for inspiration, and I have found some great ideas for Christmas presents on there. But put it in perspective: many of the links take you to a blog that is maintained by someone who must be blogging full time. None (or very few) of these people could have other areas of their lives that are extremely demanding. Don't get me wrong -- I'm grateful that they have the time to share their creativity -- but the rest of us shouldn't feel inferior. We just have our priorities and responsibilities elsewhere. :)

19. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 11, 2013

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 12, 2013

I did this for my luggage keys and the matching locks. It saved so much time. Those keys are super small, and painting a strip of nail polish on it wasn't much.