Picture books to teach story structure

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by WaterfallLady, Jun 23, 2011.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2011

I am teaching summer school (summer reading camp, they think!) to a group of kids going into third grade, and a group of kids going into first. I have the first graders covered. However, I am struggling to think of children's books that have very strong plots that I can teach them how to use story maps with. The two I can think of are A Bad Case of the Stripes and The Lorax. The library doesn't have enough copies of The Lorax. Help!

3. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 23, 2011

I have a giant list of mentor texts that I could share with you. Just pm me; I'm happy to share.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2011

Any fairy tale. They usually know these well enough to use an introductory texts.

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2011

Can I be nosey and ask what books your are using for first grade? I'm also doing summer school (but for kindergarten) and I didn't know until all my books were packed that I was going to be teaching writing. I'm going to have to take a trip to the library...

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 23, 2011

A Bad Case of Stripes can be found at http://storylineonline.net/ You might check out the site to see if there are others you can use. The stories are read aloud by "famous" people, but the words are shown, too, if you like. The only problem I can see is that the kids won't have a hard copy to refer back to.

7. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2011

Well, these are kids going into first grade. I'm just using Scholastic readers and those little mini books can make themselves. You can find those all over the internet. I have a few books from the library they can look at when they are done with their books, but they aren't really readers, so it's mostly picture looking. I mostly just work on phonics and pre-primer sight words with these kids. Sorry. During the school year, I teach 6-12 graders reading at 2-4 grade level.

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2011

How about When I Was Young in the Mountains by Rylant? Not sure what type of story structure you are looking for but that is a good one.