Philosophy critique please

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Darkhorse, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Jul 30, 2011

I was just looking at my philosophy of education and I realized it's not very good. Can you guys help me make it better? It needs to be reorganized and ... something. Thanks!

Philosophy of Education
    A good education is more than just memorizing facts or learning to use basic skills. A good education is learning by inquiry, hands-on and becoming a part of the world you are discovering. It is mysterious, exciting, motivating, and creates a love of learning that will extend beyond the school years. Our world is constantly changing and it is integral students are also taught problem solving, communication, and the ability to adapt to whatever they face. As an educator it is my responsibility to teach my students these skills and create an environment where students can flourish.
    My classroom environment was developed by drawing strategies and philosophies from multiple sources that focus on positive behavior and having students learn to make positive choices. Lessons are taught using the multiple intelligences so that all students have the chance to excel. I believe in creating a classroom community where all students feel that they are a valued and effective member of the class. I strive to make my classroom an environment where all students feel safe enough to take chances and be okay with getting something wrong.
    I strongly believe in learning by doing and experiencing and I feel that those lessons are the ones that will stick with students the longest. Students should be immersed in the subjects they are learning and be given the opportunity and encouragement to continue learning on their own. My students should come to school every day with a sense of wonder and excitement, ready for the challenges they face. I want to motivate students to learn, to get involved in the classroom, and to enjoy all parts of education. I hope that by making subjects fun and engaging, students will develop that love of learning that will continue with them for the rest of their lives.
    I became a teacher because I love to see that spark in a child’s eye when she understands something for the first time. I want to be there when they accomplish something they never thought possible. Students need someone to guide them and give them the confidence to succeed. I want to be that guide. To learn is to open doors to new experiences and opportunities and it is teachers who hold the key.

No wonder I'm not getting interviews....:help:

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 30, 2011

Your last paragraph has a personal touch to it, maybe that or parts of it should be moved to the top? You want to immediately hook the reader with how you feel and not necessarily the research jargon you know.

Otherwise, I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with your philosophy. It is written well.

4. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Aug 1, 2011

Here is my new one. What do you think now?

As a teacher it is my job to make an environment where every student can succeed. I work hard to create a positive and safe environment. I believe that it is important to have lessons that are fun and engaging so students develop a love of learning. In my classroom students will experience hands on lessons that encourage true problem solving and develop conceptual knowledge that will extend to other areas. I feel it is important to not only have students prepared for the next grade level but to teach them skills that they will use for the rest of their lives and help them succeed in the 21st century.

I became a teacher because I love to see that spark in a child’s eye when she learns to read a paragraph or do a multiplication problem for the first time. I started out teaching swim lessons to the very beginning students. It was a wonderful feeling watching a child come in terrified of letting go of the wall in the shallow end and then eventually see him beaming proudly at his parents when he jumped off the diving board in the deep end. Everything I do in the classroom is aimed at seeing similar proud moments in my students.

My classroom management system was created through trial and error and by pulling from multiple philosophies including Responsive Classroom and Love and Logic. I find that this allows me to be flexible because every group of students is different and responds to different tactics. I use a checklist system that highlights the positive behaviors in the room which allows even the most difficult student to shine. I use engagement strategies to make lessons fun and encourage teamwork and communication. I believe it is important to create a classroom community where diversity is appreciated and every student feels valued. I also work hard to create positive relationships with parents and involve them in their child's education.

My third grade teacher is my inspiration. Each day I came to school excited about what we would be learning and left searching for other things to learn about. She lived to make learning a true process of inquiry by immersing her students in a subject and encouraged independent thinking. I strive to create a similar learning environment and foster that same excitement in my students. I use hands-on lessons and apply real world examples wherever possible. I try to be flexible by taking advantage of teachable moments and not being afraid to throw out a lesson if it’s not working. I develop writer’s workshops and I have a large classroom library to encourage students to pursue their own interests. One year I had a group of 2nd grade boys who hated writing. By using fun and engaging lessons I was able to get all the boys to not only enjoy writing in class, but their parents were excited to tell me they had started writing at home as well. I want my students to become lifelong learners and I think it is important to model that. I am constantly searching out new teaching strategies and I enjoy attending trainings and workshops. There are so many great ideas out there and I love finding new things to help my students learn.

I love integrating art and technology. I bought a projector and document camera when my school only had an overhead projector. I have found that using a video clip or interactive website allows students to see and experience things in new ways. I did a lesson on cloud types using an interactive website. Afterward the students were excited to take their science journals, go outside and try to identify clouds on their own. I also use kinesthetic activities and art projects to help solidify concepts. I find that creativity and art in the classroom helps students enjoy a lesson and remember its content much better than other methods.

I also believe that assessment is a key component to student success. It helps drive instruction, catches any gaps that a student may have and allows for differentiation. I was able to create a folder system for math that targeted each child’s area of need. It included worksheets, games and activities and allowed my low students to finally be excited about math while challenging my high students. I use multiple assessment techniques, but I also think student self assessment is important. If a student is passing all classroom tests in reading but feels he hates reading and isn’t good at it, then he needs additional support.

We live in a fast paced society where the technology that a first grader will be using when she graduates hasn’t even been invented yet. This means that students don’t just need information, but skills and the ability to problem solve that will help them in a future we can’t even imagine. I want my students to look back on their time in my classroom and fondly remember the experiences and things they learned. To learn is to open the door to new experiences and opportunities and I strive to be the one who holds the key.

Is it too long and verbose now?:unsure::help:

5. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Aug 1, 2011

YAY!!! It was obviously better because I finally got an interview in the district that requires these!! I have applied to this district for two years and nothing.

I applied this morning and just got the call!