Pets

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 7, 2018.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 7, 2018

I am an animal lover.

I’ve had my pug for over 4 years. I love him to death. He sleeps with us every night (actually, we joke that he sleeps with us since he’s a bed hog).

Do you have a fur baby?

Backroads likes this.
  3. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jul 7, 2018

I have a 13 year old cat who is the Queen of the house and 2 guinea pigs who are also my classroom pets. I would like to get a corgi in the near future but as of right now... the cat despises dogs.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2018

We have five shih tzus. I had always had big dogs (German Shepherd, Akita, Lab/Pit Mix, Husky), but DH had the shih tzus. They're winning me over to small dogs. They have such different personalities. Four of the five sleep with us every night. One prefers to sleep on the sofa most nights.

We also have fish. Outside we have goldfish. Inside we have a convict ciclid. He would have a tankmate, but he eats them all.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/cji3JmseFAbdWZbuSznXkJ4knLIK3RQygJdfbxHO5oj

Photo, left to right: Jasmine Lee, Lexie Valentine, Amazing Grace (Gracie), Princess Lacey, and Lilypad (Lily)

Coach Fallon and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  5. RaiderFan87

RaiderFan87 Rookie

Jul 7, 2018

My friends call me a crazy cat lady. I'm in my early 30s and I have more cats than I care to admit to having!

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 7, 2018

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2018

I'm not exactly sure how old they all are. Lily and Lexie are from the same litter, and they are the oldest. I'd say they're around 10-11. Gracie is next oldest, then Lacey, and then Jasmine, who is around 5-6. Lacey & Jasmine have the same parents, but are from different litters. All five have the same dad.

There is a breeder in the family of DH's late wife. He calls her his dealer. :p

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2018

My daughter (now 24) wanted a dog from the time she could talk. Her father always said no, even though he is a dog lover. Last August, with him out of the picture, I relented and she brought Max home from a local animal rescue/sanctuary. It's been a big learning curve, but he's family now and we love him to death. I've never seen my girl so happy.
    [​IMG]

9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 7, 2018

Two cats and a dog here! The cats are both domestic short-hair - one a tortie, the other a tuxedo. The dog is a black lab. All like to be near us most of the time, especially the dog. Both cats usually sleep in the bed, and the dog is usually right next to the bed on the floor.

10. mamaotter

mamaotter Rookie

Jul 7, 2018

We have three fur babies. We've had our dog, Melody, two years next month. She is a redbone coon hound mix. She's excitable and very loving, and drives me insane! We've had the kitty in my avatar pic for a year and a half. Her name is Rowena, and she's my first cat. I've always wanted a cat, and it took me 20 years to convince my husband! She's a temperamental brat who has given me many new scars, but I love her. My husband calls her a nasty beast and says she puts the 'tude in tortitude. LOL We also have another cat that we got for one of my sons as a kitten. Her name is Luna, and we've had her a year and two days. She's the most adorable ball of fluff that makes us all either laugh or say awww. We often call her Grumblebutt because when you hold her and try to cuddle, she growls and complains the whole time. It's the most hilarious thing!

They are all shelter pets and less than 5 years old. Prior to adopting our dog, we'd had a beautiful catahoula leopard dog named Noelle for nearly 12 years. We adopted her from a shelter at Christmas time, hence her name. She died two years ago, and we adopted Melody two months later.

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 7, 2018

We are on a wait list for Bernese Mountain dog pups; we have had four in the past and they are the best!

When my youngest was six, the two dogs we had weren’t enough, so we got her a frog and it is still alive. Our daughter is now 28.

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2018

Most of our fur babies are getting on in years. We have a poodle/terrier almost 15 years old. Two of our cats were born on March 6, 2004. One more cat is about 13 years old. My daughter lives with us and she has 2 cats, one 12 years old and one about 7 years old. Our youngest fur baby is about 2 years old.
    We are beginning the conversation about whether we want to get more babies as these go to pet heaven.

13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Jul 7, 2018

I have had a shih tzu for almost 2 years! He will be turning 2 soon. I love him with all my heart! Pets can be expensive but they are worth it for me!

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 7, 2018

I love hearing about everyone’s fur babies!

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 7, 2018

Must be a gut wrenching conversation to have. They are our family!

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 7, 2018

I love cats. I only have one; I purposely chose one at the shelter that wanted to be an only pet because I knew that would keep me from being the crazy cat lady and ending up with tons of them! That strategy is short lived though; I was just telling my friend today that next time I'll probably get two because I feel so guilty when I go out of town and leave my cat by himself (I travel 4-5 weeks per year). I have a great pet sitter, but she only comes in for 30 minutes per day. My cat loves being around people and is very affectionate. He is by my side 100% of the time when I'm at home, and always sleeps with me.

RaiderFan87 likes this.
  17. RaiderFan87

RaiderFan87 Rookie

Jul 8, 2018

Only one of my cats sleeps with me: it's my Burmese. My others wake up at odd hours throughout the night, so I won't let them sleep with me.

18. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jul 8, 2018

We have two dogs. Our poodle mix, Raisin, is three and our pit, Olive, is probably maybe two?! Raisin came from a litter that my husband’s aunt’s dog had. We saw the litter the day they were born and I just had to have him! He was the only all black pup, hence the name Raisin! Olive is a rescue from our local shelter. She was found with her two sisters and no one was interested in her. She was the biggest of the three and is now 50ish pounds (but a big ol baby). She has green eyes and I wanted to stick to the food theme, so Olive it was!

19. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 8, 2018

I have two cats. My 16-year-old female kitty sleeps around my neck - cozy during the winter, but not quite as nice on a hot summer night. My male cat (AKA the golden boy because of his perineal urethrostomy means he shoud be made of gold) sleeps near my feet. To get him to purr, you just need to say his name.

20. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 8, 2018

I have 2 German Shepherds, both rescued from shelters (the younger one from a kill shelter). Oso, the big one I've had for 5 years, and my estimation is that he's about 7-8 years old, the younger one, Zima we've had for 2.5 years and she's a little more than 3 years old.
    Oso is my camping buddy, I camp in remote places, in the mountains far away from everyone and people think I'm either cray or very brave to do that. I don't think I'm, either, this dog makes e feel extremely safe and he looks out for me every minute.
    Through various channels we concluded that he probably had some law enforcement training, he might have even flunked out of K9 academy lol (afraid of gunshots).
    Once I was sighting in my rifle, laying on the ground, this dog jumped through the tiny crack of the window car (have no idea how he squeezed through), ran to me, circled around me twice then curled up next to me, protecting me. He probably thought I got shot.

It's interesting hat we don't know anything about the dogs we rescue. They don't come with a history, we barely know their age. Who knows, this dog could have been a bomb sniffing dog, or one that does search and rescue. Or a simple farm dog. But he was very well trained with very good manners and extremely protective but still friendly.

Zima has obviously been abused prior to us adopting her :( She still flinches (after almost 3 years), has very bad separation anxiety and is very jealous for attention, and territorial. She kinda overpowers the big dog (not physically), who just lets her have her way lol.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXV-Pt4AbI8/?taken-by=hun.tress.308

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZhtJf_Afhs/?taken-by=hun.tress.308

21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 8, 2018

I have more cats than my husband wants (4) and one dog. They are all adopted from shelters or when they showed up at my home. My dog adores my hubs and goes to him for pets, but barks at him when he kisses me goodbye in the morning. If I kiss the hubs, he doesn’t bark. Three of my cats think they’re dogs and follow me around the house. One definitely has a cat personality!