Persuasive Essay Topics

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ms_chandler, Apr 5, 2008.

1. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Apr 5, 2008

Help, I need some creative ones!

The ones I did last year were okay, but I want to find something they're more passionate about it.

I like to give suggestions that stick to a few topics, otherwise some kids never come up with a topic during that class period (95 minutes). Even when I tell them to think about it over the weekend, those particular kids usually forget, even when it's written in their planners.

One idea from my dept head is for the kids to persuade their parents into getting something they want. Not sure if this would step on any toes????

An idea I'm thinking of is for the kids to try to persuade the dress code to be changed. (We are strict!!!!) However, I'm not sure if this will give them false hope or step on admin's toes.... (By the way, I'm on the Handbook Committee.)

Am I thinking too much? Any other ideas? Thanks! :confused:

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 5, 2008

We are going to do: should students be required to say the pledge of allegiance?

-or-

Should the word "God" be taken out of the pledge?

I am going to read the picture book that tells what the pledge means and some different articles about the pledge that have been written recently.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2008

Here are some topics I have used in the past. These are for 9th and 10th grade:

- Who is responsible for childhood and teen obesity - the individual, the parents, or the corporations? (We watch supersize me and read a few articles)

- You town is proposing to move all the homeless people to a shelter outside of town. Write a letter agreeing or disagreeing with this proposal. (We read some articles about the homeless and did some sensitivity training, why people are homeless, etc. At the end of this unit we also made PBJ sandwiches for a local homeless shelter)

- Our state banned indoor smoking in public a few years ago, so you could have them write to their state supporting or disagreeing with this law.

- The ever popular Dress Code or No Dress Code debate.

- I also do persuasive topics related to literature - such as Persuade the jury that George is guilty or not guilty of first degree murder for killing Lennie, from Of Mice and Men.

- Should the death penalty be legal or illegal?

hope those help.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Apr 5, 2008

Rather than persuade to change the dress code, I use this topic.

A group of parents is petitioning the school board to require uniforms for students in our school. Do you agree or disagree? Write an essay to persuade the school board of your point of view.

6. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Apr 5, 2008

How coincidental... I was just thinking to change it to that so it wouldn't step on any toes.

By the way, our School Improvement Committee will be making its rounds on Monday, so I really want to make sure this goes smoothly!

Thanks!

7. holliday

holliday Comrade

Apr 6, 2008

Here are a few we do in 7th grade:
    curfews, should voting be mandatory in US, should minors ever be tried as adults, is too much TV/video game use detrimental, and I know one high school teacher who offers the question of whether kids at her school should have an open campus for lunch (that allows them to go off campus for lunch).

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 6, 2008

How about essays about a new product they think should be manufactured or a current product they think should be changed with the company as the intended reader. This can then be used to teach business writing...how to say what they need to say persuasively, but succinctly and also in the proper form for a business letter.

9. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Apr 6, 2008

Persuade me to watch your favorite TV show.
    Who is the better baseball team(in NY we use the Yankees vs The Mets)
    Persuade me that you should be appointed the Class President.
    Persuade me to give you a good report card.
    Persuade me to allow you to attend a party at a friend's house,whose parents I don't really know.
    Persuade me to allow you to have a sleep over for you and five of your closest friends.
    Invent a new product,example homework machine and persuade me to buy it.
    I hope these help.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2008

Do your students have any choice of where to go to high school? In my state, students can apply to any public school in the state. There are also several charter schools for business, performing arts, sciences, etc. And we have the vocational schools where they can learn a trade. Maybe middle schoolers could research the schools and write a letter to parents persuading them to let them go to the school of their choice? Or persuading the application committee at their school of choice to accept them?

11. Vegas Art Guy

Vegas Art Guy Rookie

Apr 9, 2008

Have them do something that they are interested in like video games. They could try to persuade you to buy one system or game over another or one car over another. Anything where they get to express their opinion will work.