Permission slips for imaginary characters?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Audria007, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Audria007

Audria007 Rookie

Oct 5, 2016

So I am moving from the 2s class to the preschool class here in the next few weeks. I am excited because I have been in preschool before and loves it. I really would like to do fun little things with things like elf on a shelf, leprechauns and Easter bunny. I remember doing it as a kid and it was just So much fun and so innocent. But I know there are people out there who do not want their kids to believe in Santa or that are of different religions. I do not want to offend or make anyone upset. So here is my question. Should I make a permission slip to do these fun little things like leprechaun footprints and a little elf bringing them a small treat? It should I just do them?

3. ncztamom

ncztamom Rookie

Oct 14, 2016

We just do those sorts of things at my school. We are a small church based preschool and the kids and parents have always enjoyed it. We have the easter bunny come visit and even the Cat in the Hat visits. Of course some of my kids (older 4-5 TK class) will say they know who the cat really is and such but everyone still seems to have fun with it.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 15, 2016

Figure out the culture of your school and then go with what will be appropriate. I would not worry about permission slips.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2016

If you need permission slips it's probably best not to do the activity. What would you do with kids who were declined?

6. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 16, 2016

Ask admin if it is ok and then just go with it if they approve. I used to teach in a middle school and would have my kids learn Christmas songs in French and carol around to other classrooms at Christmas time and the kids loved it. Only one kid ever sat out and Did not participate. Never had an issue. Now I work in a different school (HS) with a different community and I wouldn't do it.

7. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 18, 2016

You would need to ask the administration. But be aware that at any point in time their decision might change. When I started teaching, my school was allowed to have birthday parties. When the new P and AP came, they forbid everything that takes time away from teaching.

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  8. Ashley Rives

Ashley Rives New Member

Nov 15, 2016

I'm not sure about a permission form, seems maybe a bit too formal. I would just let parents know your plans and ask if any families have any special requests or concerns.