People just don't return my emails!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by linswin23, Feb 15, 2017.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Feb 15, 2017

Does this happen to you? I have sent out multiple emails regarding some after school activities I am involved in and no one has responded. I really don't want to hunt people down.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2017

To whom are you sending emails?

4. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Feb 15, 2017

Fellow teachers in my school about extra curricular activities. For example, I am asking one teacher to let me know what day is good for her to do an activity with my class and another class. I've sent multiple emails, but nothing has been returned. This has happened in the past, too. I'm getting frustrated.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2017

I have a few colleagues who rarely check email (and then complain when they don't know about something!) can you touch base in person with this colleague?

otterpop and linswin23 like this.
  6. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Feb 15, 2017

Yes, I can. I will have to, lol!

7. otterpop

otterpop Fanatic

Feb 15, 2017

This happens at my school too!

8. heatherberm

heatherberm Comrade

Feb 15, 2017

Yeah, it stinks to hunt people down when email is so convenient but some teachers just really don't check/respond to email. It happens. I have a little group that I know I have to find in person if I need to ask them something.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 16, 2017

Do they have a mailbox in the office or teacher's lounge? Get a neon colored sheet of paper and write the note on it. Tape it to the inside of the box. Don't just lay it in there to be covered up by other papers.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

Feb 16, 2017

I find it so odd that people who live and die by email and text messages in their private lives often ignore work email in the school setting. One such person explained it to me this way: If I don't open the work email, I can pretend I never saw it. The email could be good or bad, but why take the chance that it could be bad - just ignore them all. Go figure - this from a mom who texted with her kids like a fiend.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Feb 17, 2017

When I email someone and they don't respond I check to see if the message is marked "read". Are you able to see if the message was read? Some people just read emails then go on to the next one and forget to respond. I think you might have to seek them out in person and let them know you emailed them (maybe they will respond in the future).

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Feb 17, 2017

We have to do some online trainings during the year and they will email you when it's due. Well, some people don't check their email and then the day it's due the VP has to come around and tell them they have only 1 day to do it. Seriously, it's ridiculous. The email says you have about a month to get it done so I don't know why people are having a problem unless they don't check their email!

vickilyn likes this.
  13. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Companion

Feb 17, 2017

I have a few coworkers that are the same way. When trying to schedule IEP meetings with multiple people (admin, gen ed, speech, etc) it's a lot easier for me if everyone replies to the email if they can come or not, especially if there are multiple dates in question, but more often than not there are a few that I always have to go to in person.

One of my former coworkers and former teachers (now retired) was an amazing teacher but just didn't "get" technology. He was so notoriously bad at checking emails until he had 200+ in his inbox, and then he just wouldn't read any because he didn't know if they were important or not. It became common practice his last year of teaching to start emails he NEEDED to see with "JOHN DOE must open!" or "JOHN DOE REPLY NEEDED" in the subject line.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Feb 17, 2017

Personally, I have zero tolerance for the "I don't check my email" excuse. Thankfully, though, the culture in my district is that everyone checks their email multiple times per day (before school, recess, lunch, and after school--which are all during contracted hours).

15. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Feb 17, 2017

I know the feeling, but do not get upset when they don't respond. If you get aggravated by no responses or slow responses to your emails, then try to limit the usage of emails when you can. Try to only ask questions/comments face to face. Believe it or not, I think there's a term for this or there should be a term for this entitled "email rage". I think I may have it too, so I try to limit sending out emails when I can. Another pet peeve of mine dealing with communications, is when an employer doesn't leave a voice message on my phone. I've put in the hassle of writing up a cover letter, resume, and collecting my transcripts- and you can't even leave a voice message to my phone when I'm not available?. In those cases, I don't even call them back- their lack of importance in responding to my application tells me they may be untrustworthy. Sorry/rant.
    :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  16. blazer

blazer Groupie

Feb 18, 2017

I would be grateful. No need to run the activity now. Better work life balance for you!

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 18, 2017

I HATE when people are like this. It's so rude and unprofessional, IMO. The teachers in the first school I worked in were so bad about reading email that my admins had to change our evaluation system to include a category about "keeping up with school communications" or something like that. Thankfully, the majority of teachers at my current school read their email.

18. blazer

blazer Groupie

Feb 18, 2017

Some folk don't regard email as instant communication and only check it daily or sometimes weekly. Just because you sent an email it does not necessarily follow that all the people you sent it to will read it. Or if they do read it may think it worth replying to.

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Feb 18, 2017

I check mine daily and respond as quickly as possible, but I have the biggest problem getting admin to return emails! (I rarely email so I'm not bombarding them, but I know I'm not the only one who has this problem.)

I've worked for many administrators and have never had this problem. I know it's annoying to have teachers who don't check/read/respond to email, but I think it's worse for admin to do the same thing.

(Even though I don't even work in the same state as you, YTG, I know you're not that kind of admin!)

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  20. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Comrade

Feb 18, 2017

I don't understand how anyone can function in a work environment and not check and respond to emails regularly.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  21. blazer

blazer Groupie

Feb 19, 2017

Makes you wonder how we ever managed before email doesn't it?;)

linswin23 and SpecialPreskoo like this.