Pencils... pencils... pencils....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Dec 30, 2018.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 1, 2019

This.

It truly depends on how each school/district writes their yearly plan/budget.

We most definitely don’t have unlimited anything. That would be irresponsible.

2. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2019

^
    I mean we received 10 pencils for the whole year and they are very stingy about pencils. Most teachers who provide go through multiple boxes in my school, which we wouldn't be given.

3. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jan 1, 2019

That's why I don't mind buying 75% off Valentine's and Easter pencils. 48 pencils for $1 is worth the hassle. Only problem is I'm very quickly running out of them. I might go through 20 a day!

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 8, 2019

You're going to have to make the pencils like the pens they have at the bank. Attached to the desks!! Seriously, how hard is it to give back a pencil you borrow? For that matter, how hard is it to bring in your own pencil. Seriously, why is this such a problem???? Younger kids might have issues with maintaining supplies and school property but there's no excuse for the older kids.

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2019

I need to do this! The brighter, the better :)

I do provide pencils since in California, at least, we are legally required to provide the basic necessities for our students if they are not able to provide them. I also ask for parent donations at Back to School Night and get most of my pencils for free that way. I like to think of it as "pencil-pay-it-forward" :)

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 8, 2019

My state technically requires that too but it's not something in practice at my school. I did work at another school in the state that would not let us say we "required" students to send in anything or send home a school supply list. We could only have a wish list or suggested donation list.

I get where the law is coming from but it should then be the responsibility of the school to provide the supplies, not the responsibility of the teacher! I am just so strongly against teachers being required to spend money on basic necessities (Kleenex, pencils, whiteboard markers, etc). I absolutely spend money on my classroom, but it is for extras that I want to have, not basic items that I need in order to do my job. That said, I also get that it's not the hill to die on for many teachers.

ms.irene likes this.
  7. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2019

When you say 'we' are legally required do you mean the teachers or the school?

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 8, 2019

Sadly, I think if pushed the law would say schools can't get teachers to buy supplies from their own pockets but not enough will ever push on that.

otterpop likes this.
  9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 8, 2019

I venture it means the school district must supply.

otterpop likes this.
  10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2019

I agree with this 100% -- I do have a supply budget and it's always been enough to cover the essentials. I only buy something if it's really just something I want, not need -- like a cute desk lamp or an essential oils diffuser. I only buy the essentials if I forget to order something ahead of time -- which reminds me, I need to swing by the Dollar Store and pick up some post-it notes for tomorrow :p

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 9, 2019

I would never buy items unless I specifically wanted them and they were not on my school office supply order form (we can place an order at ANY time). It's not like we can write off every single thing we buy for the classroom on our taxes. I'm sure some teachers would have thousands of dollars worth of receipts!

12. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2019

The school. We are given a supply budget that is supposed to cover all the "essentials."