pencil breakers anyone?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teacher143, Sep 14, 2008.

1. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

We have been in school for three weeks. All of my students have their own desks and most of their school supplies inside. I have noticed that I have one student that is breaking his own pencils. I have found them inside and on the floor around his desk. Does anyone else have a pencil breaker? How can this be fixed?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 15, 2008

Let him use his broken pencils. Sharpen the end with the eraser on it, if it is still attached. I'm not sure what to do about stopping the breaking to begin with.

4. jackie

jackie Rookie

Sep 15, 2008

Yes, I have a few of those myself. I just told them that if it continues they will have to miss 5 min. of recess, that a real break is ok, but doing it on purpose is disrespecting school propery. I also threatened a note home. It has done the trick:)

5. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2008

I have a collection of special pencil breaker pencils, not short enough to be interesting not long enough to be comfortable to hold. When I catch a child breaking the pencils the child gets the special pencil. It has worked pretty well.

6. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Sep 19, 2008

Thanks for the tip about using medium sized pencils. I should have plenty of that lenghth left over from last year.

7. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Sep 24, 2008

okay....

first is this because of holding pencil too hard or is he have some anger issues. If it is the ladder....I have a two pencil rule. They trade pencils in the morning, and if both break they need to ask somebody for one or they can use a crayon. At first a crayon is fun, but it is really hard to write with one. Under NO circumstances do I let them trade pencils in the middle of the day. If he is pushing his pencil down too hard or holding it too tight, I recommend having him use a mechanical pencil. Also having a tissue or marker cap in his hand (the one he writes with) will help to alleviate some pressure. hth rox :)

8. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Sep 24, 2008

I have pencils that are from Hand Writing Without Tears...they are they size that golfers use when recording scores..super small!. You can't break them!! I use them mainly with kinder students. But, they work for first graders who are having trouble with breaking pencils! They are also great for working with the idea of grasping the pencil properly.

9. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Sep 24, 2008

Pencils are the bane of my existence. I have breakers, and I have some who like to pull out the erasers and then somehow smash the metal cap. I'll be darned if I can figure out the culprit(s) ... we have community supplies at tables and these mutant pencils just end up back in the supply caddy. I also have crayon breakers and crayon unwrappers this year too. Total disrespect for the supplies, the books, each other ... all are driving me nuts. But I digress....

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 24, 2008

Me too but I think I have narrowed it down. I have a ton of pencils that I got so cheap at the staple penny sale, but still, it is disrespectful. One teacher told me to take away my freshly sharpened pencils. Then if a student needs a pencil, they have to show me theirs before they get a new one. She said you can easily see by looking at their pencil who the culprit is.

I haven't tried this yet

11. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Sep 24, 2008

I've had pencil breakers...sometimes with anger and sometimes just because. The 'just becausers" when caught I collected the broken pencils and sent them home in a baggie with a note asking for replacements. The couple of times I've used this it has worked. I can never find the culprits who break off the eraser and chew on the metal cap. YUCK!! When I question the kids at the table, the answer is "I didn't do it" or "I don't know." Otherwise, the pencil issue was a big thing and a few years ago I decided to buy extra pencils and not stress over the issue. With the exception of the just because breakers. The Sanford brand of pencils are very soft and break very easily...I no longer use that brand.

12. tchnzfun

tchnzfun Rookie

Sep 24, 2008

good pencil brand?

Does anyone have a good pencil brand? Oftentimes the kids are just writing and our pencils break. Also there have been times when I am sharpening a pencil and it breaks while I am sharpening it and by the time I get a point that works, I've lost half the pencil. :(