PE CSET Subtest III

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by RanFen, Apr 7, 2016.

1. PEteacher68

PEteacher68 Rookie

Jan 19, 2017

No I passed the subtest I and II the first time I took the test. But for all the times I have taken subtest III, support (s) was always an issue with my response and depth (d) as well.

2. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 3, 2017

Anyone have suggestions to pass subtest 3? I've taken it twice... No dice :(

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 4, 2017

How close are you coming to passing, and what do you see by way of diagnostics on your score reports?

4. PEteacher68

PEteacher68 Rookie

Apr 5, 2017

I finally passed mine after taking it for the 4th time. Finally! But what are you struggling on? I struggled on the constructed response. It is important to know how to make modifications to each students abilities in the video and to thoroughly explain how will the student improve from making the changes.

5. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 6, 2017

First time I took it, I scored + in Professional Foundations and +++ in Integration of Concepts. I scored check mark and +++ in Constructed-response. I scored 195.
    Second time I took it, I scored +++ in Professional Foundations and +++ in Integration of Concepts. I scored d and + in Constructed-response. With a total scored of 208. Grrrr.
    I got the MC down now. It's just that constructed response that kills it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

6. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 6, 2017

I also noticed that every time the students are pretty much at the beginner level. Is it even possible that they put intermediate or advanced students in the videos?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 6, 2017

Thirteen points is a fine increase, as is going from + to +++ in professional foundations.

When you write your constructed responses, whom do you have in mind as a reader?

8. Francis pe teacher

Francis pe teacher New Member

Apr 7, 2017

Hey there froggy929, I was wondering what did material did you go over to achieve such a great score on the MC? I have the opposite problem. I tend to struggle with the MC but do well in the constructive essay. I have attempted to take this test 4 times but have failed miserably on the MC. Any advice would be appreciated!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 7, 2017

Do you tend to choose an answer, then change it, then discover you shouldn't have changed it? Then stick with your first answer unless you can find concrete reasons that that answer is wrong.

The correct answer to a multiple choice question isn't necessarily the best possible answer: it's the best of the alternatives you're given. If a question's scenario is all about volleyball on the high-school level, don't fall for the answer that's better suited to basketball or to middle-schoolers.

10. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 8, 2017

I have in mind the educators in the field of physical education. As if I were writing to an experienced teacher.

11. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 8, 2017

I keep re-reading the XAM book and the Mometrix book. I have also taken the multiple choice section over and over and over again until I scored 100% in the both the professional foundations and integration of concepts section. I have also added reading through the entire pe framework for California. If I don't pass this time around I don't know what to do. So aggravating!!! How did you study for the constructed response?

12. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 8, 2017

I also struggled on constructed response. How did you finally pass?

13. D. Nickelson

D. Nickelson New Member

Mar 19, 2018

Teacher Groupie- I appreciate your help and direction above. I too have failed subset 3 (131) 4 times and am so frustrated. I had no problem passing subsets 1 & 2 but this 3 has been very difficult. As a result of these 4 tests, at different points I have had +++ in the foundations section and +++ in the integrated concepts but never more than ++ for constructed response. My scores have ranged from 179-214. The last test I was sure I passed because the constructed response was on a skill in a sport that I play outside of work. I thought I integrated concepts well using motor and learning development terms, movement skill proficiency terms, biomechanics and kinesiology terms but still scoring ++ with a "d" for depth and breath. I have studied the state standards and frameworks and even have pre-constructed the responses for throwing, catching and kicking but am truly missing something. I am looking now for a constructed response reader who understands the question and terminology. I don't have a lot of time to ask the wrong people to help. What are your suggestions? I am not able to renew my emergency credentals again:-(

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2018
  14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 19, 2018

Hm.

Is "d" with ++ what you've generally seen on the score report on the Subtest III constructed response? How did you do on constructed responses in other subtests? (I know you've passed those subtests, but diagnostics in other subtests can give useful clues as to patterns.)

15. D. Nickelson

D. Nickelson New Member

Mar 19, 2018

Yes, "d" with ++ is what I've generally seen on the score report. As I have been reviewing the Physical Education Teacher Preparation in California: Standards of Quality and Effectiveness for Subject Matter Program publication, I think maybe my "d" is integrating all the different components of the test rather than the depth of just the skill they are showing me in the videos. I went into such depth and detail about the movement skill shown, the biomechancs, including stages of motor learning, what is developmentally appropriate.
    I took the first 2 tests 2 years ago and my scores are no longer on line, I will have to request a copy of them to answer your above question.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  16. Ginny Northwood

Ginny Northwood New Member

Mar 22, 2018

17. Ginny Northwood

Mar 22, 2018

Hi. I was wondering if you passed your test using those materials. I am taking all 3 tests in April.

18. Ginny Northwood

Mar 22, 2018

19. Ginny Northwood

Mar 22, 2018

Hi would you be able to suggest the best way for me to study in order to pass that section?

20. D. Nickelson

D. Nickelson New Member

Mar 26, 2018

Thanks for the note.
    I did not have success with the Mometrix materials. I just became aware of the Xam book so will use that for my next test. I did have success with the study.com site.