PBIS

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Aug 27, 2017.

1. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Sep 6, 2017

That's pretty dismissive. I agree with you that there is too much corruption and bureaucracy in public education - so much so that I work in the nonprofit sector now. But, we're not talking about that - we're talking about educational strategy, PBIS in particular. You can't simply enter a conversation and use "corruption" and "bureaucracy" as catch all arguments to avoid actual discussion of the topic at hand. Not if you want to be taken seriously and professionally.

To be blunt, if you want respect, elevate the conversation. If you want your intelligence to be respected, put it on display. Be a thought leader in your school, and on this forum. There is plenty of room to disagree with status quo and challenge the establishment. I do it daily. But you've got to do it in a way that uses reason, research, and respect.

To return to PBIS, I think you've got some valid points that are often overlooked by school leaders because your ideas aren't politically correct or du jour. Would be interested to continue the conversation if you so choose.

2. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Sep 9, 2017

My last school did it... I'm not sure how it's supposed to be done, but we handed out tickets when students did something safe, respectful, or responsible. Half the ticket went into a class jar that earned the class a popcorn party when it filled up and the other half they could use to buy things each Friday at the PBIS store. In addition to that, there'd be a monthly PBIS school-wide activity for those students with no writeups... some things were simple, like extra 15 minutes of recess at the end of the day, other things were bigger like being allowed to go to the BMX bike demo or the Raptor show that they brought on campus...

3. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2017

So I keep hearing two different things about giving out the rewards.

Half the people keep speaking about consistency: rewarding watching the students like a hawk and making a goal to reward EVERY TIME they did X or Y or Z. Detractors say this is humanly impossible and quickly loses efficacy anyway.

The other half say pick random and occasional times to look for those behaviors and reward them. Detractors say this confuses kids and does not provide the aforementioned consistency to develop the behavior.

Which is it?

nstructor and otterpop like this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2017

...and this is why I prefer the natural consequence/celebration!

nstructor and bella84 like this.
  5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2017

I'll go with do both.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 9, 2017

I don't know about the real PBIS way, but I think the second method is more beneficial.

Backroads likes this.
  7. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Sep 9, 2017

I really don't know what bashing left wing politics has to do with PBIS? People on the political left and right find themselves on both sides of this school discipline debate.

There are good alternative discipline policies which keep behavior under control and also reduce suspensions; keeping vulnerable students with trauma in the classroom learning instead of coming back from suspensions worse than before. Maybe you can do some research on alternatives to the failed zero tolerance model

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    bella84 likes this.
  8. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Sep 11, 2017

Random and occasional, but more frequent when introducing a new skill. Yes, rewarding all occasions of behavior would be impossible, or at the very least exhausting.

This taps into "schedules of reinforcement" - theoretically, when teaching a new skill rewarding every time a behavior is exhibited is generally best, then "fading" into an "intermittent schedule of reinforcement" which actually produces more sustainable results.

otterpop and Backroads like this.
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 11, 2017

We will be rewarding students up to 2X per period. There's no way we could do it every time a behavior was observed. We'd need an extra TA just to do that!

nstructor, AlwaysAttend and Backroads like this.