PBIS

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Aug 28, 2017

If we are serious about high expectations and excellence then yes absolutely.

2. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2017

Should we have them clean the floor with toothbrushes when they don't meet those expectations? Last I checked, that's corporal punishment.

3. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Aug 28, 2017

Wouldn't be a bad idea. Excellence doesn't come cheap, but i think we can all agree it is worth it in the end.

anon55 likes this.
  4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2017

I disagree. There's a price to pay for everything. Sometimes the price is cheap, like everyone adopting a common theme and language. Other times, the price is too high.

bella84 and a2z like this.
  5. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Aug 28, 2017

That would be more effective and yield better fruit than what we have now.

6. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Aug 28, 2017

That is fine but we need to acknowledge that we are not setting the bar in education. Other countries are setting the bar much higher and they are coming to America to reap those benefits in career opportunity over our children. We need to examine if we really have the best interest of our citizens.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2017

What's wrong with the fruit we produce now? Are todays children any worse academically than the students we produced 50 years ago or are they just assessed differently? (I honestly don't know enough to answer this).

Or are you speaking behaviorally? That problem is more attributable to parenting than school discipline.

8. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Rookie

Aug 28, 2017

Military discipline might be good. Not in all cases, but a kid who vandalizes the school should be expected to clean it off and make the repairs. I have yet to see PBIS work well. I believe we need to have expectations, but at the high school level, kids should know that the expectation is to come to class and behave appropriately.

nstructor and 2ndTimeAround like this.
  9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2017

Other countries are setting the bar higher on scoring well on tests. These students don't always do well in their new environment. There have been articles written about these students seeking out professional companies to edit or write their papers.

There have also been articles written about a lack of creativity and that China was actually looking to the American education system to foster this skill.

No country is perfect in how it prepares and there are positives and negatives with every solution.

anon55 likes this.
  10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2017

Should know and actually understand are two different things.

The types of problems you see in school are equated to the population you teach. I work in an upper middle class district at this time and the bathroom sink was ripped off the wall at least 4 times last year. Clearly they should know that's wrong, but do they understand that maintainace will need to repair this and the taxpayers will need to fund the repairs?

This has nothing to do with PBSIS.

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  11. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2017

China has been trying to Americanize its education system for decades as, while they certainly testing high, the results don't match the efforts. Compare runner-up Finland and their educational values.

China has to fight thousands of years of culture. We don't have that.

12. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Companion

Aug 28, 2017

I've never worked in a US school so my viewpoint may be limited, but if I was to theorize about what might be worth changing, it wouldn't be militarizing schools. I would say it might be worth considering less standardized tests, less scripted curriculum and ensuring that teacher evaluations are not tied to things like test scores.

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2017

I've worked in 3 different places, none had scripted curriculums. School districts don't want to pay for them. Most pay their teachers to write curriculum in my area.

It's hard to say we need less standardized tests. They take it once per year in most grade levels. They don't force you to teach to it, I've never worked in a school that did. Just a few weeks of questions formatted like they might see and teaching how to use testing tools.

bella84 likes this.
  14. Always__Learning

Aug 28, 2017

As I said, "worth considering." While you may not work in a state that uses scripted curriculum, it seems far more common in the US that in other nations that score higher. I really can't imagine why standardized testing would need to happen once per year. Moreover, in some states scores on standaridzed tests impact things like teacher evaluations and salaries so teachers do feel pressured to "teach to it". So again, not be all and end all, but "worth considering."

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2017

It allows us to determine what schools/states prepare students better than others as education decisions are made at the local level in most cases.

16. Always__Learning

Aug 28, 2017

AlwaysAttend, I actually don't believe in comparing schools/states to each other. I do believe in comparing schools to a standard we want schools to achieve. I think that standardized tests are necessary to evaluate schools. I am not convinced that justifies annual tests. In most Canadian provinces, students participate in standardized tests a few times during their K-12 education rather than annually and I do think that is sufficient to evaluate schools.

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  17. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Aug 28, 2017

I teach in a PBIS school. I was very anti-PBIS before starting at my current school. Mostly because I don't believe in extrensic rewards, treasure box, etc.. However, I have to say, the way PBIS is done at my school is fantastic. I completely love it, and our hard Title 1 population is super well behaved (for the most part). It helps that my school is brand new (built last year), so we set the stage for all structures, behavior expectations, etc.. Teachers had no choice but to "buy in", so that helps.

Every classroom is required to do class dojo and a clip chart system (ok, i don't love that part). Each grade level has a point goal for students that they aim to earn each week. Teachers decide individually what students can do with their points (class parties, eat lunch with the teacher, etc..) School wide, we do "All green, all the time" parties for kids that have their clips on green every day, 1x/quarter. All the teachers stand in the hallways with music instruments and clap, yell, and cheer for the kiddos as they walk down the hall to get their treat (which varies, sometimes its just a snack, sometimes it's time in the gym, a dance party in the cafeteria, etc..) For kids that don't get to go to the party, they have to participate in a "re-teach". So, not focusing on punishment, but more just sitting down and re-teaching whatever behavior they had difficulty with.

We have common structures and rules for hallway behavior, restroom & cafeteria behavior, etc.. Teachers are required to turn in their behavior data every month. Our PBIS coach goes into classrooms that are having less than 80% of students on green during the week and helps the teacher with positive reinforcement, coaching on using the clip chart appropriately, etc..

Anyways, I could go on and on, but really I love it. I know our teachers get bogged down with the data portion especially, BUT it helps everyone stay accountable so that teachers aren't just having kids clip down for nothing.

Backroads and AlwaysAttend like this.
  18. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 28, 2017

WOAH. This seems like strategy overload! But it also sounds like a tight system that is getting good results. I'm glad you like it and it's working for your school. It sounds very positive and I bet the kids like it.

19. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Aug 28, 2017

I am in favor of having parents be liable for the kids in the education system. They should have to sign a binding contract with the state to receive this free education. Their child needs to come to school on time, rested and nourished ready to learn. Parents should be liable for their child's growth. If the child does not meet certain academic and behavior expectations then the parent is fined for the costs associated with retaining the child. This would instantly improve our education system upwards of 90%.

20. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 28, 2017

[​IMG]

bella84, MetalTeacher and Backroads like this.