Payment for writing long term sub plans

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lady_Marie, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Lady_Marie

Lady_Marie New Member

Jul 28, 2017

For the past 2 years, I have been teaching high school English (grades 8-12) at a very small rural school. I was the only person in the building with a certificate in English. (The middle school teacher, grade 7, had the old 6-8 certification. He also retired this summer.) I was offered a job in a larger district and accepted last spring. My former school has been looking for someone to replace me, with no luck, all summer. Recently, the principal contacted me and floated the idea of having me write long-term sub plans for all of my old classes. I have 6 different preps, grades 8-12.
    If they can't find anyone to teach the subject I will probably tell them I will write long term sub plans. My question is what is appropriate to charge for this service? Below are some numbers that might help give an idea of the district's normal pay scale.
    Base: $28,500
    My pay last year: $31,200
    Sub pay, per day (idk if long term subs are paid differently): $60

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Jul 28, 2017

Sorry, but I would not write the plans. I know that's not answering your question of what to charge, but it is the principal's job as the instructional leader to ensure that there is quality teaching happening. He/she can take over the planning.

Bunnie, pennyandme, Backroads and 2 others like this.
  4. TechnoMage

TechnoMage Companion

Jul 28, 2017

You could ask them what they are willing to pay you and work from there. Teachers are great targets for sob stories and they might think you will do it gratis.

novaguy1968 and Backroads like this.
  5. Lady_Marie

Lady_Marie New Member

Jul 28, 2017

I already told them I would not be willing to do this for free. However, we haven't talked about price yet. I was mostly looking for an idea of what other people might consider reasonable to know if I'm asking too much or too little. I have every intention of saying no if it is either gratis or not enough to cover my time.

6. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2017

Did he give you a time frame of how long these plans will extend?

Once you get an idea of how... heck, I'd just pick a dollar figure that seems fair to you (based on the time it would take to right these) and negotiate from there.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    novaguy1968 likes this.
  7. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Jul 28, 2017

This is really an interesting proposition. Kudos to the P for actually thinking outside the box! I agree with the others, just get a definite agreement before taking on the task.
    One question, how does the P propose to find the funds to pay you?

Backroads likes this.
  8. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Jul 28, 2017

Well, he won't be paying anyone full salary or benefits, so he is going to be making out like a bandit even if you charged him your salary from last year. If these are full year plans, he will be able to rotate subs and not pay them much, and save paying any benefits to a full time teacher. You will be a fool to be cheap with your answer - he wants your knowledge and expertise at a bargain price. Ignore the woe is me line and get paid for what you can do. I guarantee that if he has the plans the search for a new teacher goes on the back burner.

Backroads likes this.
  9. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2017

By that line of reasoning, heck yes, I'd just ask for last year's salary.

10. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 28, 2017

Doing the math, with your salary you were paid $120 per day. (31,200 divided by 52 weeks a year, divided by 5 days a week) Since they pay a sub $60 a day, if he paid you $60 a day that would match the $120 daily salary rate.

I would ask anywhere from $60-100 per day for the long term lesson plans. You also have to think how far in advance does he want the plans for? Weekly, monthly or per unit of study? I would also consider what is the going rate for a tutor in your area and factor that in only because that might give you a good base rate for time spent working as a teacher hourly outside the school day. Also consider how many extra hours per day you are working on these plans.

Backroads likes this.
  11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

Jul 28, 2017

I would imagine they would pay a set number of hours at the rate they pay for curriculum writing.

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 28, 2017

I would look at what your daily rate was last year, and I certainly wouldn't do it for less than that. In my district we are contracted for 190 days, so I would suggest dividing last year's salary by days worked to arrive at a rate.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Jul 28, 2017

My salary is for 39 weeks work, so I would calculate a range of $139-$161/day, and he is still saving because he isn't paying benefits. It is the benefits that can really add up. Don't believe me? Ask around and see how many jobs are offered as p/t by a couple of hours per week just to avoid paying benefits. I can understand that he may see this as a way to get the best alternate form of instruction available to his school, but your plans are only as good as the subs who follow them. I would definitely be wanting more information about how many days of plan he is looking for. I might help a trusted P for free for a month, but I suspect he is looking much more long term. Best of luck - that's a lot of plans!

14. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 28, 2017

I'd charge your per diem rate. Honestly though, this is a really dumb idea (not on your part, on the principal's part). I mean, a week's worth of plans to get started are fine, and maybe a pacing guide or bare-bones unit outline is fine, but detailed lesson plans for kids you've never met (well, I guess you probably know most of them, but you still get the idea)

Backroads and vickilyn like this.
  15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2017

OP probably didn't work 52 weeks, though. The daily rate of pay would be the annual salary divided by the number of contract days, which is probably in the 180-200 days-per-year range. That puts the daily rate of pay somewhere around $165, give or take.

I'm not sure that I would reject this proposal outright. It seems intriguing enough that I might play ball, at least for a little while, and ask for a hefty sum. I'd probably go with a rate based on weeks or units. I might ask for $800 for one week of lesson plans, or $3,000 for a month-long unit, something like that. See what he says about that.

Backroads, novaguy1968 and vickilyn like this.
  16. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Rookie

Jul 29, 2017

This makes the most sense to me as well. We get $50/hr for curriculum writing. In my district this would likely get put in as a curriculum writing project, and I would see how many plans I could write in the given timeframe.

czacza likes this.
  17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2017

From a purely practical standpoint, would you have time to write plans for 6 courses as well as doing your new job effectively?

bella84, pennyandme, a2z and 2 others like this.
  18. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2017

I have no problem with the idea at all as long as you can agree on a good figure to make it worthwhile and don't overwork yourself.

19. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Jul 29, 2017

Exactly. I always began the week with the end in mind, but things were adjusted and adapted as needed. So we didn't always end where I thought we would - sometimes we did less, sometimes we did more. I wrote pretty rough daily plans and would not have enjoyed trying to follow someone else's plans.

20. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2017

I think the principal's idea is trying to ensure quality teaching will happen.

21. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2017

I would go with your salary.
    Curious, do you have most of it written already?