Paying for your own sub?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blazer, May 11, 2019.

1. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 11, 2019

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 11, 2019

I don't entirely understand this.

It seems to me that it's the equivalent of taking days off without pay.

At my school, we get X number of paid sick days. If we go over that number, we can take additional time off without pay. That is, they'd calculate what I make daily, and subtract that daily amount from my salary. That's the same thing, more or less, is it not? Only difference is that they are told what that amount is that will be deducted daily.

My heart goes out to that teacher, however most jobs would work this way.

a2z and Backroads like this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 11, 2019

Actually, when you think about it that way, the teacher would actually earn money...while most of us just lose all of our daily pay when we go over our sick days (as otterpop said), this teacher is only losing the equivalent of the sub pay and retaining the rest of her daily rate. So, she actually comes out ahead.

Just playing devil's advocate here...I absolutely think she should not have to worry about this issue while she is recovering. That is just cruel.

a2z, Aces, Backroads and 1 other person like this.
  5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 11, 2019

I can see why it seemed a good idea at the time, and in many ways it's rather appealing. I think this case highlights the more dramatic consequences.

If I had the power for the district, I'd have set up some sort of catastrophic event plan to hang around for such events. Every place I've worked at had sick leave banks. Not always perfect, but useful.

It sucks for the teacher, but with budgets being what they are, I can't think of a better option other than quitting or the theoretical catastrophe benefit not in place.

I've heard lore of teachers paying for the sub no matter the situation or the number of sick days, and if that's true I feel worse for them.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 11, 2019

That is normal here. If you go over your allotted sick days/personal days, then you don’t get paid for that day. It is essentially paying for your sub.

a2z and futuremathsprof like this.
  7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 11, 2019

I think this teacher actually got a really good deal. Anywhere else that I've heard of, if you run out of sick days, you're not getting paid at all. The sub is going to make far less daily than the teacher does, so she's still getting whatever the leftover pay is, even though she's not working. For me, this would mean I would still be netting at least $2,000 per month. I think it's actually generous of the district to allow that.

a2z and futuremathsprof like this.
  8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 11, 2019

:yeahthat:

a2z likes this.
  9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 11, 2019

We are docked our daily rate if out of days. The sub pay is taken out of that amount. I assume the district banks the balance.

We do have a program where people can donate days, so I doubt it gets to that point often.

a2z likes this.
  10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 11, 2019

Only in America does getting a disease like cancer have to equal a financial catastrophe. Honestly, I have a pretty thick skin, but a few of the answers here are actually a little gross to read.

stephenpe and Backroads like this.
  11. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 11, 2019

Wow I never realised you were so hard done by. In the UK we get 6 months sick leave on full pay them another 6 months on half pay.

12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 11, 2019

I didn't realize that. I know the health care system here is terribly expensive and backwards, but the job side of things never crossed my mind. It never occurred to me that not having months of sick leave in the event of serious illness was uncommon, even if there are better alternatives.

That said, my husband and I have specifically held off on starting a family because of horrible and scarcely existing maternity leave policies. That topic really gets me heated, fast.

ms.irene likes this.
  13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 11, 2019

The life of having non-socialized care.

I lean conservative-ish, but I like the idea of socialized medicine. Preferably a system that still allows for optional private care as needed, as people in my groups for my daughter's condition say they get subpar treatment for the disease without a private option.

ms.irene likes this.
  14. futuremathsprof

May 11, 2019

Socialized medicine sounds nice in theory, but in practice it is a disaster. It also stifles innovation and medical advances — the vast majority of medical breakthroughs came from places like the US where there are free markets.

Countries like Canada and the UK have huge waiting lists for emergency care and patients are coming to the US in a lot of cases to get the care they need because they aren’t getting it in their country of origin.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  15. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

May 11, 2019

My district is exactly the same. The problem comes if you are a new teacher and at the bottom of the pay scale. In order to keep your medical insurance and retirement ect you may have to start paying the district money to keep medical insurance, since they deduct taxes, retirement/pension payments and, other fees first thens they deduct sub pay. Sometimes that comes out to more than they are paid in a month....especially when paying long term subs which cost more than short term ones.... In California teachers cant pay into state disability so if they want disability coverage they have to apply for that and pay for it monthly as well.... Imagine having to pay your place of employment from your savings because you missed too many days to cover the sub and you owe them more than you are paid.

16. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 11, 2019

I once had a coworker at a non-profit who was transferring money over for insurance...

On an insurance tangent, I may have messed up my district's insurance for them...

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 12, 2019

This is what happens in my district- they deduct sub pay from teacher’s paycheck once sick days are depleted. I have 156 sick days on the books and would love to donate a few to a colleague in need but that’s not allowed.

a2z likes this.
  18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 12, 2019

We are allowed to donate sick days as long as we don’t drop ours below 15. I have donated days to coworkers with terminally ill spouses, parents, or children. I haven’t donated in the past few years since my mom is sick.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  19. a2z

a2z Maven

May 12, 2019

As I see it, their only complaint should be their union negotiated inability to have short term disability and long term disability policies. But if on average the teacher makes 82,000 a year, having to pay the sub at 200/day still give the teacher 50-60% of their pay which is on-par with most short term disability policies.

As others have said, most times when you are out of personal and sick days, you get paid nothing for the day. Seems they have it better than most, especially since there is a sick bank they can pull from.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  20. futuremathsprof

May 12, 2019

Yep.

21. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 12, 2019

This is what my district did. First we had a sick leave bank you could use if you were in bad shape and out of days. We all would donate a day,. IF It ever emptied we donated another. The last few years the gave that up and then sent out an email asking for donations. I donated a long time cause I had so much. More to close colleagues........I liked the old bank better.