Payday and NO PAY!!

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Master Pre-K, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2007

too late..I already looked into that before I started.

non-profit organizations are exempt from unemployment taxes...

the people probably stay there, because they are scared to quit..and can't afford to get fired!

however, I have a year of work experience from previous jobs, so the state will have to pay me unemployment...from the other jobs...

if I fought them, and then got fired, I could sue..and claim unfair practices.. but as far as unemployment goes..I better apply this year, because I would not get a dime next year!

2. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2007

I would be ashamed to even let something like that come out of my mouth!

That's why I sent the fax, and sent hard copy by mail..telling them I expected to get paid, and cancel my direct deposit! If you have a shaky business, I don't want you touching my bank account at all!

I will find a currency exchange to cash that check, whenever I get it! It is not going in my bank!

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2007

I thought about that. But, I have an inservice meeting from 9-12, thank goodness. From here on out, 2 hour lunches will be in effect! I may do the two day work week, and interview the rest of the week! I will come in late and may leave early...because I won't let them think I am just going to deal with this.

Wearing jeans tomorrow too! I am changing my whole attitude! This is not right. They will definitely see that I am NOT taking this lying down, and not waiting around acting like nothing happened.

Everyone will know 'something happened' to Ms. Master Pre-K.

I have a feeling, they saw this happen before...

No wonder they haven't had a person here since January!

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 7, 2007

In college I worked for a small private Montessori school and our checks bounced a lot... it was terrible because I was always so broke anyway! I'm sorry to hear this is happening... hopefully they will straighten things out. Good luck.

5. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Sep 7, 2007

Master PreK- that is an awful thing to have to go through! You are really in my thoughts and prayers. I know our funding is always shakey here, and has been cut so much it is pathetic, but at least we get a check. I hope you can find another position soon! Wish I could help... all I can say is hang in there!

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2007

thanks moonbeams...

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2007

Here's the official update

On Friday, I was scheduled to attend a workshop from 9-12. I went to the program, and called the office afterwards. I asked for the supervisor. Secretary said she was not in. I said, "Do you have the checks??" She said, "No, we don't have them and we don't know when we are getting paid."

I said, "I need you to do two things: First, tell the boss I will not be in this afternoon, I went to the workshop, but I have personal business to attend to. Second, I want you to fax me a letter stating that I did not get paid, and why."

Here it is..in a nutshell.

to who it may concern..
    Master Pre-k is employed by XYZ day care. The agency is a non profit organization funded by Chicago Public Schools and city of chicago youth services. Master Pre-k's salary is 100% funded by CPS. The agency payroll was due 9/5/07. the agency has not recieved any funds from CPS for the current fiscal 2008year. The CPS program staterd on 7/1. Because of the extremely low cash flow the agency is experiencing we were not able to meet our payroll for 9/5. At this time CPS informed me that the agency will recieve the first installment very soon but will not commit to a date. any questions please call.

so, what do you think about that?!

I tell you what I think! If they would have told me during the interview they were experiencing extremely low cash flow, I would have never taken the job!

On my way out to my night job.

Thank goodness I have that at least!! :unsure:

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2007

What a load of bull caca!

I think it is a big old game of cya, and they didn't think you would get upset. Which I think is more upsetting, they thought you were too stupid to get upset

GRRRRRR

9. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Sep 8, 2007

:hugs:

I'm wondering if you have any legal grounds here? I'm not a lawyer happy person or anything, but this is totally wrong!

Big hugs to you!!!

10. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Sep 8, 2007

You are in my thoughts and prayers Master Pre-K. I wish I could do something to help you get your check. Even though I work in a hostile environment, I do get paid. You have just made me be thankful for what I have. I hope that you are able to find some place that appreciates you. Good luck!

11. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 8, 2007

they will keep doing it...

....until you all unite and don't show up for work until they change this policy! They can't remain open without the teachers. I'll bet the higher ups ARE getting paid! If they can't afford to pay, then they shouldn't be open in the first place. I'm sorry this has happened to you-I'll pray that a positive thing happens for you!:)

12. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 9, 2007

Master, I am so sorry this has happened to you. I know exactly how you feel. I had an employer who did not pay me and I had to file a complaint to the Labor Board. It was horrible to be under such financial stress. I cried and cried. Well, after the Labor Board contacted her, she gave them some bogus check stubs saying she paid me. They contacted her again, asking for the returned checks with my signature and miraculously, she sent me payment!!!! It took a long time and a lot of stress and tears to get over that. Don't wait, do something quickly. My empathy and prayers are with you!!

13. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 9, 2007

This is because the board spent 19,000,000 on a payroll system that stinks. Last April there was an issue where many of us didn't get paid. Your friend must be at a year round. The issues are now there.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2007

WW...I won't be broke AND stupid!

I feel like I was robbed, stabbed, and my house was on fire...all at the same time.

How can they not think I would be upset! I need to stop rehashing this crap. It still stinks no matter what I do.

I just can't get over it.

I feel like I am in another bad marriage! Ok, I have a man, but he won't do anything...ANYTHING!! :mad: But at least I am married!

what is the point?? I have seen my ex hold on to ragged a## cars that never run, and he keeps trying to fix them! Why bother! Get another freaking car! I need another freaking job!!!

I am thru with pre-k, Head Start and CPS.

I'm looking for aide jobs in the suburbs.

I don't even want to teach anymore!

Just cut my pay and give me some benefits!!!

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2007

thanks BMAK...

state labor laws says they must pay by next pay period. I could file small claims court...but apparently this is an everyday occurence!

I could sue...but who has time??? I got rent AND a mortgage to pay. My cell phone rings every hour...the auto loan people have me on speed dial!!!

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2007

thanks PP.... but I have been in your shoes too.

It is not fair! We should not have to settle for hostile work places or NO pay. Something has to change.

I am giving up preschool guys...this just ain't working for me!

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2007

that's what bugs me patti2...you know I am spending too much time trying to analyze this anal situation.. most of the teachers had been there 10-15 years. So this has been happening a lot! one teacher is a member of the church. the boss purposesly sits on her checks so theirs won't bounce. they probably never thought of staying home...they are just dedicated souls who probably don't know or can't do better.

I know the smart ones will say tomorrow..."Wow, Master Pre-K didn't waste no time gettin outta here! You won't be playing with her money!"

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2007

thanks dzenna...got the claim form from dept of labor..will mail it off after the 14th..I got a feeling the 20th will come and nothing will happen!

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2007

thanks Amers!

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2007

now that I have this letter..I will start circulating it!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.