Passed FTCE General Knowledge on the first try

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by New_teach2012, May 28, 2012.

1. New_teach2012

New_teach2012 Rookie

May 28, 2012

I'm so excited:D. I did the GKT couple days ago and passed. The English Language section was fairly easy, Math was ok (I sucked at Math), I was surprised that I passed it. I think I was over prepared for the Math. The Reading section was a disaster!!! The passages were long and hard to comprehend, you get 40 mins to complete this section, there are 40 questions, therefore, 1 min each. I spent 5 mins trying to understand 1 passage, I had to rushed through most of the passages in order to complete the exam. I thought I failed the reading, when I was about to cry, the proctor gave me a thump up. I almost lost self control, I wanted to scream. What I used to prepare for the exam? Cliffs; the main text, it is just like the exam except for the reading. The reading is more challenging on the exam. I used REAs, all sections are challenging, however, the english is nothing like the actual exam. You can use the english for grammar refresher. I also used CLAST practice paper. The CLAST is somewhat like the FTCE GKT, in addition, used Barrons Math, it's a basic math book which is easy to understand. How long did I study for? Almost two months! Well, I hope this helps anyone that will be taking this exam. Good luck.;) Oh..I used practice papers that I found on subjectareatestprep.pds-hrd.wikispaces

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

May 28, 2012

Usually in long reading selections, the best thing to do is spend a good amount of time road mapping the passage so you know where everything can be found. This way if you get to a question you don't know the answer to, you know where to find it.

4. New_teach2012

New_teach2012 Rookie

May 28, 2012

Yeah, at one point I stopped reading the passage and just focussed on the questions, then skim through the passage (since I was running out of time).

5. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Jun 7, 2012

New_teach 2012,

Congratulations. I was also elated when I got out of the testing room and found out that I had passed the Math, Reading and English sections. I almost cried. Passing the GKT was a requirement for me to become a sub. The reading section really "sucks". 40 questions/40 minutes, enough to make someone have a panic attack.

6. New_teach2012

New_teach2012 Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

Thank you! You have to pass the GKT to become a sub? That's crazy. All I had to do was attend a one week training session. Are you planning to become a teacher?

7. KaileyWells

KaileyWells Rookie

Dec 16, 2012

I've failed the Reading FTCE 3 times :( and at this point I'm very depressed. I have the Cliffnotes FTCE 2011 edition but the exam is different from what is covered in that book. I've been depressed after taking the exam for the third time and not passing. I'd really appreciate if someone can share study material / notes / advice for passing the reading and also the Math section. The only exams I've passed were the Essay and Language Arts.

Kailey

8. florhio

florhio New Member

Oct 4, 2013

FTCE

I will be taking the reading for the 3rd myself. I share your feelings but I will take it as many times as possible to pass it. I only failed by a few points. I realize I cant spend time reading the whole entire passage. I'm going to order the book that was stated in the article above for more study practice. The math section is actually easier than the reading because its straight forward and you have plenty of time.

The way I studied for math is to get a math book at barnes and nobles. Make sure the book starts with basic math thru geometry to algebra. Its easy to forget basic math because we don't use it a lot. Do all of the math and geometry sections and you should be fine. Order the FTCE math flashcards and they will reinforce some of the math concepts. Hope this helps!

9. apf80

apf80 New Member

Oct 15, 2013

Hi New_Teach2012!
    I went to Barnes and Noble to look up that math book. Is there any way you could give me the ISBN # of that Barrons book? There are a bevy of choices and I really don't know which one you were referring to. I set up my appointment for this december so I want to start preparing for the math section since that is truly my Kryptonite!

Thanks ,

apf80

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 15, 2013

apf80, try the math videos on Khan Academy: Google it, and it should show up.

11. eeb1

eeb1 New Member

Nov 26, 2013

Can someone help me on Passing the Reading section!! I passed all the other sections but during the test I timed out. I did not receive my results yet but I know I need lots of assistance. My fear is I take the test again and still can not get through it. I prepared for the reading section and still failed. I was waiting on my results so I can do a Test review of the material I answered wrong but in the meantime I need to study something close to the GKT.

ANYONE PLEASE!!! ;-(

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 26, 2013

Hugs, eeb1. Any good book that helps with reading comprehension skills should serve you well. I like Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day, which is published by LearningExpress, but there are certainly other options.

13. Lisa3080

Lisa3080 New Member

Jan 4, 2014

I feel your pain. I was having the same issue, but finally passed it on the 3rd try. I may be able to help you. Where are you located at? I'm in Florida.

14. history

history Companion

Jan 11, 2014

The new FTCE GK test is changing on May 2014, but meanwhile not one test prep guide company is offering a change to their book.
    The reading section is way to short when it comes to time and with the changes being twice as many as before , it will make it even more difficult. Has anyone heard if the state will expand the time on the reading section?:confused:

15. history

history Companion

Jan 11, 2014

How much time can you spend doing this when you have only 40 min.

16. history

history Companion

Jan 11, 2014

What school district requires the FTCE GK test?

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 11, 2014

Teacher tests aren't required by districts: they're required by the state in order to obtain a teaching license.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  18. history

history Companion

Jan 11, 2014

The poster claimed she had to take and pass the test to gain a substitute teacher position. I was wondering which school district required her to take it.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 11, 2014

Most states require that prospective substitute teachers pass the state's basic-skills teacher test. It's possible that Florida does things differently, but I don't think it's likely.

20. history

history Companion

Jan 11, 2014

I know the district(fla) in which I was a substitute teacher, they did not require it and that is why I was asking the poster .

21. KaileyWells

KaileyWells Rookie

Feb 9, 2014

Board of Exams

:mad: There is a survey at the end of the exam which serves no purpose. I would like to know how to get in contact with the board of exams for the FTCE. My concern deals with the Reading portion of the exam. There are many flaws that require some attention (eg. many previous exam takers mentioning "skipping" passages due to time issues) and obviously nobody is doing anything about it. I've taken the test for the fourth time and failed again but results from my studies indicate an entire different message. I've studied three long months and clearly succeeded on the practice exams. This multi-million dollar enterprise (Pearson VUE;(£515 million (2012) eqv.701 million USD) profits $$ from every retake administered. It boggles my mind... I am taking action and will be writing to Tallahassee. I am sharing my scores from the practice exams i have used which I would complete at the end of every two weeks. Feel free to have a look: (remove spacing from link) h t t p : / / w w w . m u l t i u r l . c o m / l / i I f

RRH likes this.