Part Time Position Salary?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pumpkin0926, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Pumpkin0926

Pumpkin0926 Rookie

Jun 5, 2018

Hi all!

SO as I continue to apply to many, many schools I am seeing a lot of part time teacher openings begin to appear. I think to myself, heck why go ahead and apply. (I have yet to receive any calls about interviews... my patience and hope is slowly fading)

My question is how would the salary pay for part time work? The contract I read says just full time salaries, and does not specify part time adjustments and such. If the position is .4 FTE, and the salary is roughly 55k for full-time, what would my salary be?

I know there is a way to calculate this, but for the life of me I cannot a) find such formula or b) do math to save my life (even simple math- yes I know I am pathetic. That is why I teach English and not math!)

Along with this position, there is an instructional assistant opening that may be combined with this position as well. So does anyone know how that would work?

Thanks!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2018

$55 000 x 0.4 = $22 000

czacza likes this.
  4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2018

Even though you don’t teach math, you should know how to do simple calculations. The math equation needed to figure the salary is truthfully not unlike one an educator might use to figure grade percentages.

Ms.Holyoke, bella84 and TrademarkTer like this.
  5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 6, 2018

Also be sure to check out benefits. In my area, part-time positions pay way more for insurance.

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 6, 2018

It'd be like a math teacher saying "I don't read or write, I teach math". The only difference is people would be horrified if a math teacher said that, but "I'm horrible at math" seems to be readily accepted in polite society.

ChildWhisperer, czacza and bella84 like this.
  7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2018

I would ask, point blank. You could do the math all day. If you say less, somebody will smile and say “Right”. And then you lose. If it is more, don’t look shocked because that will reveal your lack of knowledge. So just ask. In fact, get it in writing. I always do that for future situations for proof if income.

A lot depends on total teacher attendance days, and Xmas & Spring break, holidays. Ask if you get paid for after hours (parent conference days when everyone works all day or 4p-8p. What about sick/personal days, jury duty, inclement weather/snow days?? There are some standards that the union will demand. Do you have union dues too? Are you payinng into teacher’s retirement? And yes, the benefits - especially since ACA - are NOT the same as full timers now and usually cost more!

What about subbing? If they ask you to stay all day. and cover for a class, that should be a higher rate.

I mentioned this in another post. You will do both jobs and may only have HALF of your part salary and half of a para salary...o_O

Is that you really want?? Could you sign up for sub jobs in several schools instead?? Are you going to keep interviewing and hope for a better position in the 2nd semester??

Ask Pumpkin. You have the right to know.