Part of my interview is to write a letter to parents introducing myself. Can you look

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peachyness, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 26, 2013

So I have part two interview tomorrow!! YAY! It's at the school I really would like to work at. :D Part of my interview is to write a letter to the parents introducing myself since I am taking over mid-year. Can you guys please take a look at my rough draft and tell me what you think?

Thanks!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 26, 2013

Hm. Good start. I see a few grammatical glitches I itch to fix - relax, they're mostly pretty minor - but first let's make sure that this letter is doing what it needs to be doing.

1. What specifically were you told to do? Was "Write a letter to the parents introducing yourself" all there was to it?

2. What grade is the position? This I ask because your letter could plausibly include a bit of detail that's specific to that grade - there might be something specific that kids in that grade start learning around midyear, or maybe there's some particular activity that kids of this grade at this school do in the spring.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 26, 2013

Hi TG.

1) I was told to write a narrative to the parents that includes a few helpful information in regards to transition and my classroom expectations.

2) This is a 3/4th combo class. It's a school that is following the classical education model. Right now, the whole school is studying ancient history (Egyptian at this moment).

The skeleton of what we're to address, teach, and focus (the lessons) have already been built for me. However, I can bring in my own ideas for activities and projects.... At this point, I do not know exactly what's coming next.

Thanks for taking a look. The interview is this afternoon, but I have another interview right before then in another town, so I need to get this rough draft sent to them before my first interview (they said to not focus too much on it or get it perfect, just get something to them electronically before the interview).

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 26, 2013

What I had in mind for point 2 was something more or less analogous to my standard recommendation for the first paragraph of a cover letter: dropping in something that shows that one has done a modicum of homework about the school/grade. In this case, mere mention would suffice.

Time's of the essence, so let me be more direct about editing what you've got than I'd usually be:

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Nov 26, 2013

I completely concur with all of TG's suggestion, and would add a very few of my own (very minor):

1. How many years were you a math coach? Some parents might think this is an important benefit.

2. Change any reference to "kids" to children or students - just a little more professional.

3. My personal thought is that the reference get getting "the itch to get back into the classroom" is also a bit.... casual. Perhaps "the urge to return to classroom teaching," or you were "drawn to return to your original love of teaching students in the classroom" would be better choices?

It all depends on the impression you want to give the parents. In my district, the more professional your writing, the better off you are. That does not mean that many of my colleagues follow that premise, lol, just that they should.

Your letter is warm and inviting, and a pleasure to read! Good luck! :hugs:

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 26, 2013

Thanks guys! I've made the appropriate changes and submitted the letter..... thanks for helping.

I'm so mentally drained. I have three interviews today. Just got back from the first one (they moved it from later on to earlier in the morning). I'm actually very excited about that position as well!!! Both positions I'm interviewing for are part time... there is a possibility (and I'm hoping for this) that I could do both, if offered of course. :D

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 26, 2013

Happy to help, though now I'm wondering when I became plural... Are the positions with the same school or system?