Parents who dread school breaks

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by whizkid, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 18, 2018

Just speaking for myself, I planned my life and career around my children, that I chose to have. My husband and I planned our finances so I could stay home when they were younger and then I chose a career that allowed me to be with the kids when they were on vacation. That meant that we didn't have the money to spend on expensive camps and activities, but we did have the joy of raising our children and seeing them turn into responsible adults.

Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 18, 2018

I, too, have wondered this. It really makes no sense if you think about it. To clarify, even if you’re poor you still have to budget every time you are paid, whether that is for groceries or bills or what have you, so why can’t people budget for the cost of having children?

Now let’s say you walk into a store and you see a nice flat-screen tv for $2,000, but you only have $1,000 to spend. Do you buy the tv anyway? Well no, you buy the tv that costs less than or equal to a $1,000.

I think all high school students at some point should sit down and watch the following Saturday Night Live video about managing your money:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  3. futuremathsprof

Dec 18, 2018

Excellent!

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 18, 2018

OK... just finding this post. Here are my 2 or 3 cents on the matter.

If you are going to have kids, then you are going to have kids when school is not in session.

Plan accordingly... daycare, take vacation days, beg family to keep them. Parents' responsibility.

We are teachers not your free babysitters.

I love my students but I need a break from school, not them. Sometimes I'm ready to come back because my husband and kid start driving me bonkers.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    whizkid and futuremathsprof like this.
  5. futuremathsprof

Dec 18, 2018

I wish I could shake your hand. This is such a brilliant post and chock full of truth. Well done!

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 18, 2018

The best I can say is...

Best-laid plans don't always go through. Families in respectable financial situations may falter on money. Things can get unexpectedly hard, and I don't think it's fair to demand people only have kids if they plan on being rich constantly.

christie, mathmagic and a2z like this.
  7. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Dec 18, 2018

[​IMG]

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. futuremathsprof

Dec 18, 2018

I didn’t say families need to plan on being rich as a minority of the US population is rich.

The correct actions that should be taken before anyone has children should be:

1) Graduate from high school.

2) Don't have children before you are married.

3) Get a job.

If you do these *easy* things, you have a 75% probability of entering the middle class, according to the Brookings Institute. It’s not rocket science.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  9. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Dec 18, 2018

Yep, the "being rich constantly" is nothing but a strawman.

10. futuremathsprof

Dec 18, 2018

Indeed.

11. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Dec 18, 2018

For 16 full days you get to feel our pain. Lol

For 16 days, I don't have to hear any children. Oh how sweet is! Come on Friday!

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 18, 2018

If they don't have jobs, they're not desperate to find daycare for their kids during the break.

All I'm saying is that very good families can find themselves in temporary situations where, yes, caring for children during breaks is suddenly difficult. Go clutch your pearls elsewhere.

christie and a2z like this.
  13. futuremathsprof

Dec 18, 2018

Yes, that is true that people can find themselves in difficult situations through no fault of their own. I’m talking about people who make poor decisions through their own volition and not through unfortunate happenstance.

whizkid likes this.
  14. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 19, 2018

Hi Ben.

15. futuremathsprof

Dec 19, 2018

What? My name is not Ben...

16. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Dec 19, 2018

Cool story bro

17. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 19, 2018

Ben Shapiro---he constantly cites what you just cited from the Brookings Institute. Just picturing him saying it when I read your post.

18. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 19, 2018

19. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 19, 2018

Yet I know many people who have fulfilled all of these things and you and whiz would be raging against these families because they would struggle with school breaks. They would make it work, but would struggle.

See, that last requirement for you is usually the part that makes breaks hard for parents. The fact that both parents need to have jobs to support themselves makes breaks difficult.

Unlike you, they have to give up intangibles for that second job. But it is your choice to have no children or spouse. I'm happy you don't because you don't want them, but this is part of the conversation we have been having with you for a long, long time. Those who want those things (and thank God someone does because the species would end otherwise), have added expenses, added, stress, and very different responsibilities.

Gone are the days were one parent stayed home and families stayed in the same town so all of the school breaks weren't an issue. Even as it started to change to two people working, there were still many families with local family who had someone not working. Now 70 year olds work at walmart as greeters because they can't afford to live or they are too sick to watch the grandkids.

Backroads likes this.
  20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 19, 2018

My friend is having a problem right now because she had kids before finishing school and getting a degree. Now, she wants to go back to school but is financially unable to because her bills are high due to daycare, etc. To top it off her husband passed away. Now she's kicking herself for not finishing school before she had kids. I feel terrible for her. Thankfully, her in laws are now moving in with her and will take care of the kids so she can go to school maybe next year. Sad situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.