Parents who dread school breaks

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by whizkid, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Nov 23, 2018

Of course it makes sense. For 8 hours and in some cases longer, someone else is playing parent while they sit at home making another little Johnny or Suzie so they can get another check. They know the kids are getting two free meals, supervision, and being someone else's headache. They can take their government assistance and get their nails and hair done, go put some big rims on the Cadillac but the child doesn't even have a pencil or bookbag. Anonymous people on the net won't convince me that deadbeat parents don't exist. These types of parents want the school to raise their children, hence the phrase "waiting on a break".

Guess who else is waiting? Me!

I don't see any big mouths volunteering to take the troublemakers home with them!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Nov 23, 2018

Uncle Sam takes care of everything.

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 23, 2018

I didn't say it was 60%, but there are a good portion of unemployed people who are depressed or caring for others who are disabled. Now you are trying the absolute to discredit.

Also, I suspect a larger portion of depressed, mentally ill, disabled, unhealthy to the point of not being able to work but not able to collect disability, or addicted to cluster into poor areas since these things tend to depress income which, in turn, determines where people live. So, maybe not 60%, but a good portion will fit into this category and a higher percentage than those in schools and with higher incomes.

4. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 23, 2018

Not one person said they don't exist. We said you don't know for sure who is and who is not. So, don't judge what you don't know.

mathmagic likes this.
  5. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Nov 23, 2018

Including bratty, disrespectful kids!

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 23, 2018

You certainly call a lot of people names. It says a lot about your character.

Backroads and mathmagic like this.
  7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2018

Could you please point to statistics or interviews where people are actually choosing to have kids to get more money? Sure, financial priorities might be mixed, but then again, that's true of people with/without kids, that's true of teachers, that's true of all - and we don't know the individual situations. Like was said above, the fact that some want some suggestions on working with their child is proof that they want to be better for their child!

So glad my (future) child isn't in your class. Geesh.
    [​IMG]

Backroads and a2z like this.
  8. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Nov 23, 2018

When you come to school with three and four kids dressed like a hooker with a different colored wig cussing them out and the kids don't have on clean clothes but you have a sweet ride, yea, you're deadbeat. So don't speak on what you don't know. You're not from here and don't know anyone here.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 23, 2018

I don’t know how they afford to live in those apartments. I do know the students all receive free lunch, though. I’m just glad they’re not homeless. We have many families that live together (they’re non-kin).

mathmagic likes this.
  10. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Nov 23, 2018

So are you going to volunteer or not ?

11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2018

I hope you have reported that (and other similar situations) to CPS. If not, depending on your state (i.e. if you're a mandatory reporter), you could lose your job and/or face jail time. Be there for the kids, don't just whine about the situation.

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 23, 2018

To go to jail for taking kids home? No thank you. It would be illegal to do so.

YoungTeacherGuy and mathmagic like this.
  13. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

I’ve not heard of this before, but I know of one family where the mother routinely brags about how much benefits she gets from the government for each new kid she has. I didn’t believe her when she told me, but she showed me, for example, that she gets $2,500 during tax season for each child and she has 11 (gross). That’s comes out to $27,500, which is outrageous. She should get *nothing* as she paid nothing in taxes all year except sales taxes.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    whizkid likes this.
  14. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2018

Hold on a sec... are you sharing one example? I thought exceptions weren't supposed to be considered... :rolleyes:

Backroads and a2z like this.
  15. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Nov 23, 2018

[​IMG]

Mama gots to get paid!

16. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 23, 2018

I'm sorry, but why do you take the IRS standard deduction or itemize your taxes to pay fewer taxes? Why should you decrease your tax burden when you have so much money?

If for some reason your taxes were less than 12K, would you decline your standard deduction so that you don't pay any federal taxes? If not, why not? You would be no better than the people you seem to disdain.

mathmagic likes this.
  17. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

This may not necessarily be an exception. If one deabeat parent can qualify for this kind of nonsense, then why can’t mllions more deadbeats?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    whizkid likes this.
  18. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2018

Ah. It's only an exception if you want it to be / someone else says something. Otherwise it's free to apply to lots of other situations that you're unaware of if it fits your argument. I see.

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 23, 2018

How on earth do you know her? Surely, she doesn’t have children who attend your swanky private school.

20. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

The fact is that I pay a lot more into the system in one year than she ever will. It’s just like middle-class people who complain that billionaires pay a smaller percentage of their income in taxes. Who cares? They still pay more in ONE year than we will in our lifetimes a million times over. They’ve paid their fair share as it is NOT the job of a select few individuals to pay for the well-being of 340 million people, just like it is not my job to pay the $30,000 I paid in taxes last year to some deadbeat mother who doesn’t work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.