"Parents Are Teachers Too!" Apple Idea Success!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Youngteacher226, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2007

I have to share! My Open House was tonight and I am sooooo happy that I got the idea to give my parents the "Apple for the teacher" poem along with an apple as a welcome gift. :)It went over very well and EVERY parent left with a smile!! For those of you who are unfamiliar with the poem, it is:
    "An apple for the teacher,
    is never anything new.
    Especially when you remember,
    that parents are teachers too!"

I had every child write out the poem on pretty paper, then we wrapped candy apples in beautiful red transparent gift wrap with a bow. Cute! The whole project cost me no more than $20!!! I bought candy apples from a local grocery store which came three for $1.99. And the wrapping paper was $1.00 at the Dollar Tree!!! My kids were so excited to prepare this for their parents, and this put a positive tone into every parent-teacher conversation! When they walked in and saw the beautiful gift, and realized it was a candy apple, read the poem......I knew I sparked the beginning of some good parent-teacher relationships! THANK YOU ALL FOR THAT IDEA!!:2up: Our conversations were all about how they can help their child at home more & I just felt the willingness to do their part.
    (I even had a few parents from last year peek into my room & say hello which made me feel really good. I also had like 5 students from last year visiting me instead of visiting their own teacher!:lol: I had to kick them out.) My collegues peeked in & gawked (sp?)over the idea. I know alot of them will do the same next parent-teacher conference day. LoL!!

My parents LOVED the poem!:wub:And I think I planted a tiny seed in their heads about their role in their child's education.

3. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Oct 10, 2007

I'm glad you had this positive experience. I'm sure it meant a lot to the parents! Very cute idea. :)

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 10, 2007

That is so neat! I can't wait to be a real teacher and do things like that. Way to go :)

5. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Oct 10, 2007

I think parent involvement is extremely important. I think it's great that you did such a wonderful thing for your parents. So many parents need a gentle nudge to feel the courage to be involved without feeling intimidated by their child's teacher. I'm so happy for your success!

6. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2007

That sounds absolutely wonderful! I know as a parent I'd be thrilled to have a teacher who'd do something like that for open house night, simply because it shows thought, planning, and creativity.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 10, 2007

We have one-on-one parent-teacher conferences next Thursday evening. :) How did you prepare the candy apples with them? I really think this idea is neat.

8. Youngteacher226

Oct 11, 2007

Because of time constraints, I didn't "make" the candy apples with the kids. (We would have to boil the mixture anyway). But what I did was buy the candy apples from the grocery store which were already packaged 3 in a pack. The candy apples were so great because they came nice & neat with nuts on top. So each child took one and wrapped it up with some red, transparent, shiny wrapping paper that I bought from the Dollar Tree. The Dollar store also had ribbons to tie around the apple. We bunched up the wrapping paper around the stick like a gift & viola!!:) Then we attached the poem to the stick.:)

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Oct 11, 2007

I've done this before and they usually are a hit, but I had not thought of using candy apples. I bet that makes the present look that much more impressive. I may have to see if I can find candy apples (since I surely won't be making them) when our first open house comes around.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2007

Did you pre-taste an apple?

11. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2007

I love that!! I might need to steal that for my student teaching next year or for when I have my own classroom!

12. Youngteacher226

Oct 11, 2007

I did not pre-taste the apples only because I am not a huge "candy" eater, and the hard coating would probably irritate my teeth. But when the kids came back to school today, they told me how delicious they were! One liitle girl mentioned that her & her mom shared the apple...she would take a bite, then mom would take a bite!:lol:I'm thinking, they must have been pretty good!

13. Youngteacher226

Oct 11, 2007

Just to mention,
    I just got home from my little one's Open House and I have to say I was a little disappointed.:(I know not every teacher will go an extra mile to make a good impression with the parents, jumping up & down, doing magic tricks etc. But man, the teacher could have at least gotten up out of her chair. She talked to all of us at the same time which was a little uncomfortable because we all wanted to get some type of affirmation regarding our child but not in that way. That information is a little private. I didn't even leave with any cutesy artwork or sample work. Nothing. AND IT IS PRE-K!!!!! Hello????
    I don't know, I just feel it is so important to make sure the parent leaves with a positive outlook on the school year. That way they will do anything you ask of them. Maybe I should've given her the "apple for the teacher" idea to use next time.:rolleyes: