Parent upset my class is too "easy"

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by puff5655, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Feb 12, 2018

I get workbook freebies now and then. While intending to use them "one day" for my daughter, I wind up giving them out to students.

2. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 25, 2018

I'm a District Literacy Coach and I had teachers approach me before conferences as they knew that parents would be asking what can I do to help my child. I had compiled a list of books, in a non-specific order that could assist parents in choosing books for their children. I also gave them the Why I can't skip my 20 minutes of reading tonight flyer and I also found one from Disrupting Thinking that I thought was better for older students.

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2018

Exactly. Get out of the loop. This is who we are, and this is what we do. Like it or leave. Don't expect me to jump through hoops to make one kid's parent happy. If I wanted more work, I would ask for it, and expect to get compensated - i.e. afterschool tutoring, either at the school or private on my own.

I had a parent ask me for more homework. I teach Pre-K. I was told it was okay to send home weekly homework on Friday. My co-teacher sends home a bunch of work, and honestly I think it's 1st-2nd grade level. Well, after so many weeks of barely getting anything back, I decided to stop it all together. It is not developmentally appropriate (DAP) for preschoolers to do ditto sheets. I don't have time to make a bunch of copies. Don't have a desk, file cabinet or supplies to grade papers and store and record them. Let's see what happens.

4. pausebutton

pausebutton Rookie

Mar 27, 2018

How are things going now?

5. pausebutton

pausebutton Rookie

Mar 27, 2018

Like others have said, I would have politely declined their demands.