Parent Observation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HistoryTeach4, Mar 10, 2018.

1. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Mar 10, 2018

This school year just keeps getting better and better.

On Tuesday I got an email that a parent will be coming in to observe her child and her child's behaviorist, during my class period, in two weeks. I was finally able to speak with my principal about it because this was the first I had ever heard of this happening. Apparently it is in the child's IEP that the parent is allowed to do this. The rest of my class will be removed from the room.

My issue is with the fact that I need to be there. If the observation is of the child and the behaviorist there should no reason for me to be there. I stressed my concerns to the principal who said that it was to see how the child interacted with the lesson. I then asked if I was included in this observation and the principal said it is just of the behaviorist. To me, if I need to be there facilitating the lesson and the parent is observing the interaction with the lesson I am also being observed.

I went into the IEP to see where it is written, but I guess they didn't include that part on the online version in our management system. I requested that someone else be in the room to watch my back just in case the parent says anything. I do feel like I have a good relationship with this parent (I am one of the few who does not get constant emails and phone calls). I also know what this parent can be like and it scares me.

I am so overwhelmed right now. This is the final weight that causes everything to crash down.

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 10, 2018

I don't see the problem. This is common place in my district for children with disabilities. Often parents will come and watch and every now and then they bring outside professionals to observe when the parent decides to do outside testing or therapies.

If a parent can't watch how their child interacts, it makes it hard for them to really be part of the team.

Unless your room is a special education only room, I'm surprised the other students need to leave. It would be best to see the child in the regular environment.

Yes, you will be observed, but there is no reason why you should not be.

4. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Mar 10, 2018

The only time that a parent was able to observe they had to jump through hoops in order to be able to do so. This does not happen in our school. Only professionals from the sending districts are allowed to observe. Parents are not allowed to observe (except in that one case). Our entire school is a special education school. I don't know where you live or work, but that does not happen here.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 10, 2018

So... you are teaching a lesson to 1 student? This doesn't make any sense to me and would never happen in my schools. I would be very uncomfortable, too. Is it possible for other people to be in the room (i.e. the rest of the students? and EA?)

Caesar753, bella84 and Backroads like this.
  6. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Mar 10, 2018

I have requested to have someone and was told I could. However this is two weeks away and that person could be pulled for something else. The other students can not be in the room for privacy reasons.

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Mar 10, 2018

So the other students have to miss a day of instruction for this nonsense?

8. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Mar 10, 2018

Seems to me that it would be important that the rest of the class was there so his behavior in the normal circumstances could be observed. Doesn't make sense to me. Of course, this lesson would be one on one and the student would get all the attention!

Caesar753 and bella84 like this.
  9. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Mar 10, 2018

I would have to make plans for them, but yes they would miss out on my instruction.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Mar 10, 2018

If it only the child and the behaviorist, then it is basically just a regular appointment, just outside of an office environment. To observe behaviors, it would require the adult(s) and/or the children that trigger the behaviors that need to be observed, right? So, at least you have to be there, I would think.

I have had special education case managers, psychologists, special education directors, and parents all observe at one time or the others. I was always present, as were the students who were assigned to the class.

11. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Mar 10, 2018

I understand privacy concerns but my thoughts are that it is important for the class to be there to see how the child is in an everyday environment. I also believe that the children know who the child is if there is a behavioralist there so therefore why remove the students in the first place.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2018

Go read the actual IEP. Ask that a union rep be in the room.

13. heatherberm

heatherberm Comrade

Mar 10, 2018

We do occasionally have parents come in and observe the various special education classes, especially when look at referring their students for new services, and we have occasionally had parents come in and observe their student in different parts of the day. But the part about removing the other students is *very*weird because, as others have said, it changes the whole dynamic between you and the student and the student and the learning environment and won't be a true reflection of the student's typical school day behaviors. It doesn't sound like anyone really wants to give you any clarification on what the purpose of this observation is, but I think your feelings that it's a little weird are right on. I don't think it's necessarily harmful to you in any way, just odd.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  14. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Mar 10, 2018

And what's the point of the parent observing when the child will most likely be on his best behavior knowing the parent's there?

15. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Mar 10, 2018

So who's with them? This doesn't sound kosher.

bella84 likes this.
  16. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 10, 2018

I'm not blaming or even suggesting there is anything wrong in your classroom, but I actually think that unannounced visits are important, especially in high needs settings with high needs students.

17. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 10, 2018

I have no problem with parents coming in to observe. Or behaviorists. I have a huge problem with the rest of my students being displaced for the needs of one student.

18. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Mar 10, 2018

This here. Everything in OP was reasonable until I read everyone else was being kicked out of class. I don't think an IEP is that powerful. What do the other parents think of this?

Caesar753, bella84 and MetalTeacher like this.
  19. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2018

:agreed::anyone:

20. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2018

As I’ve always said, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

21. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 10, 2018

But the parent is part of the IEP team which means they should have access to see how the child behaves and interacts during the day.