Parent collection letter?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Sep 15, 2013.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 15, 2013

I have written two letters explaining the (school assessed) student fees. Thus far, of 17 students, I have received 7 payments. How would you word a "gentle reminder" letter asking that those who haven't paid do so? I'm planning on only sending it to those deadbeats, um, parents who haven't paid. Seriously, I know it's difficult for some parents - been there, done that, but it's now been 5 weeks!

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2013

You shouldn't have to...admin should. Maybe ask them? I bet you're not the only one facing this.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 15, 2013

They insist that it's our job, since "we" will be "spending" the money on enrichments for our class - like Weekly Readers and materials, lol.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2013

I disagree with them. Sorry. :(

Guess I'd just make a short and simple note and staple it in their agenda or whatever you all do: "Records indicate you have not paid the student fees for your child. Please do so prior to (make up date a week or so into the future) so materials necessary for this year can be purchased. Please contact me should you have any questions or concerns."

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

How many reminders have you sent? I sent a reminder email about party money that just said, don't forget party money is past due. I sent it to myself and bcc only the parents that hadn't paid, many sent it the next day and the rest emailed that they planned to Monday. I'd try something simple first, then send an official looking letter.

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 15, 2013

Thanks, y'all!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

Maybe put it on the HW listing for the first few days this week and then send a formal 'reminder' midweek. It was just pay day for many so this week might be a good time to hit them up!

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 15, 2013

I'm curious, how much is the payment?

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 15, 2013

$10, Pisces_Fish. My daughter had to pay $18 in third grade, and that was 16 years ago! LOL

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 15, 2013

Yeah, $10 isn't a big deal :(

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

Unless you have several kids. And you've just spent a ton of money on school supplies. And they need new sneakers. And you've just paid for Religious Ed for all of them. And gone food shopping. And registered one for Gymnastics and another for Tae Kwan Do. Or have a dying parent, or are facing serious medical issues yourself and are trying to keep all the balls in the air.

During my SAHM years, there were a few times when my $10 per kid was late. Not because I was a "deadbeat" or a cheapskate, but because, by the time I got to it, my wallet was empty. I always paid it, but it wasn't always on time.

Send home a gentle reminder.

13. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 15, 2013

Good post, Alice. I do think sometimes people forget that school isn't the only thing in a families life.

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 15, 2013

Alice, late is one thing, not paying is another. I suspect the OP will end up having a few parents still not paid up in a few weeks. Maybe I have the Sunday Night Grumpies, we'll see...

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

I suspect you're right.

During my "black cloud" year, the odds are very good that I was one of those "deadbeats." As I said, I was doing my best to keep all the balls in the air, and I'm positive I must have dropped some. I have no idea which ones, but I'm sure there must have been some.

16. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 15, 2013

pw, do you mind me asking what these student fees are for and who decided that these things need to be purchased?