Parent Christmas Gifts

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by bethany1120, Oct 14, 2008.

1. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Oct 14, 2008

I know Christmas is a few months away, but I'd like to start thinking of ideas now for a parent gift so that we're not doing it the week before Christmas (yes, this has happened in the past!!!). Does anyone know what they are doing yet or have any ideas?

3. fun2tchk

fun2tchk Rookie

Oct 16, 2008

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Oct 16, 2008

I always make a calendar. And not the really cute, involved one where you do an art project for each month.

I print out a 12- month calendar from Microsoft Word. I usually add on there holidays, students' birthdays, last day of school, etc. I staple it to a piece of poster board cut to size, but leave room above the calendar to glue on a picture that the students draw of their families. So, basically, it's a wall calendar with a picture of their family at the top and then tear-off calendar pages at the bottom. I add one of those little tiny pictures we get of each student from the photography company and "Kindergarten 08-09" or something like that.

I also have the students make their own wrapping paper.

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Oct 16, 2008

We also make a calendar, from the whole class. I print out a microsoft calendar, pretty plain. Then, I make sure that each child has a part of drawing a seasonal picture and I use those for the "top," the picture part. I always have some great artists, and some that barely scribble. So, a good "drawer" would make the snowmen on the January page, and a not-so-good one would make the "snowflakes," which usually look like dots. I have each kids sign their work, and we give it a title, which I type out and paste onto the page. We copy it, bind it on a spiral binder, and then the kids decorate the "cover" for their own parents.

I've gotten rave reviews, and it's easy and cheap. All I have to buy are the bindings.

Kim

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 16, 2008

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Habitué

Oct 17, 2008

I do the handprint calendar from little giraffes. I LOVE it and the parents RAVE about it. It does take time and patience to make it but it is worth it in the end!

8. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Oct 17, 2008

I'm also doing the handprint calendar. It's a bit late to start now, but if you start close to the beginning of the school year and just do one month page a week, it's not bad. You could start now, but you'd have to double up and maybe do two a week. It is super cute, though!

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 17, 2008

Collect a recipe from each student and make a classroom recipe booklet.

10. KinderBelle

KinderBelle Rookie

Oct 18, 2008

I make a Christmas wreath with the child's hands.
    1. I buy cheap white or cream fabric.
    2. Trace a circle on the fabric with a light pencil.
    3. Dip the child's hand in green paint and "stamp it" around in a circle.
    4. After the paint dries, use red paint and dip your finger tip to add the red berries.
    5. I give student's a piece of paper to decorate, then we wrap the present inside of their homemade wrapping paper. :)

11. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Oct 18, 2008

I love this idea! I have a question for the teachers who have done it-I see that you'd have to help the kids with the hand print, but can they paint the details on the snowmen by themselves? It seems pretty small for them to be able to do on their own.

12. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Oct 18, 2008

We'll be making paper-mache bowls for our parents. You rub vaseline in a large bowl, and then line it with magazine strips and modge-podge. The paper bowl pops out of the base and after it dries it can be painted. A recycled gift and TOTALLY made by the kids! :D

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2008

I do this for mother's day. I have the kids tell me what their favorite dish is that mom or sometimes grandma makes. They have to tell me how their mommy makes the dishes (this is the part that is TOO cute and TOO funny! and yes, I write it down word for word). Then I ask them what they like about mommy and write that on the bottom. I then put this together to make a book. So, while this is not a christmas idea, at least you have a good mother's day idea!!! :D

For Christmas, I've done the hand print calendar one year (a LOT of work). This year, I'll prolly have them make reindeer ornaments again. You just buy those teardrop shape lights for the head, red red small cotton balls for the nose, those brown bendable sticks (no clue on what they are called) for the antlers, googly eyes, and red ribbon for a bow to put on top of the reindeer head or on the bottom as a bow tie for the cutesy effect. Then a ribbon to hang it on the tree. I really wish I had a photo because I know I'm the type of person who wants to see what it looks like. I couldn't find one on the inernet though.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2008

You could, but I would either model what it needs to look like or have someone watch them closely. I had a kid decorate their November turkey page by them self because they were absent and I just wanted to get it done, and they made a mess out of it!!!!

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2008

cute idea! :thumb:

16. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Oct 19, 2008

I make a snowflake ornament out of craft sticks. The kids paint it blue and add glitter. When it is dried I write their name and date on the back.

17. fun2tchk

fun2tchk Rookie

Oct 19, 2008

I always let my kids do it themselves. We use the paint markers for the details. I have my assistant take 1 child at a time to do them...so you can tell them exactly what they need to be making. We also use plastic ornaments instead of the glass ones.

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 19, 2008

I take pictures of each child making a different face in each picture - happy, sad, silly, etc. I print it out in black and white with all four squares and then the kids make the frame for it. It's also more work for you than the kids - but I thought they came out really cute!

19. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2008

This is a great idea...very different! Love it!

20. Shannon63

Shannon63 New Member

Nov 6, 2008

Scholastic Certificates?

I saw on a posting from last year that one teacher gave the free book coupons from Scholastic. Does anyone know if we are able to purchase those coupons? I get them for free sometimes when books I ordered are out of stock, but I don't have enough for the whole class, so I would need to buy some more.

21. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Nov 7, 2008

I love this idea too! What do you use to make the picture frames?