Paperless classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Nov 8, 2013

Ted - I love educreations! As of right now I use it to post short tutoring/homework help videos to my class website, but I am definitely looking into the students using it at some point! How cool would it be to assign a homework problem for math and have the students make their own video explaining the concept and writing down their steps! I love the voice recording aspect of it.

2. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 8, 2013

Thanks for the affirmation, Jeky. :)

Yes, I want to start using it as you're using it. Create tutorials I can place on my website for those students who might need extra help on how to solve something.

I just need the time to do it. Rare commodity! :)

3. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 8, 2013

Ted,
    yes they can actually change the actual template. Once they have it they can edit it however they want. For example I did a facebook profile which was basically a google presentation (like powerpoint), and they edited it so it was about the characters in the novel that we are reading. THey added pictures, writing, put in videos etc.

4. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 8, 2013

But you do have to make it a google doc before it can be a google template I believe. Sometimes when I try and take something that I have on word and copy and paste to make it a google doc, the formatting messes up. That can be annoying, but I only have to do it once then it will be on there from now on, if I do that assignment in years following.

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2013

My son attends a public school that considers itself paperless. His math text is online. Worksheets are on Google put never prints them. He also does assignments for IXL math. Not sure how he does the computation parts.

For language arts, he even works with peers from home on them.

Chromebooks are brought home from school...sometimes i-pads too. Google 'magically' recalls and saves it even without wifi.

I have 'signed' permission slips with a code and my signature appears after I submit.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 8, 2013

Rabbitt, if you don't mind me asking, how do you and your son feel about his school being paperless?

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2013

At first, I was hesitant.
    Now, I love it. Still unsure how I would do it in lower elem but I am beginning to realize it's quite possible.

Everything is easy to find online.
    We signed up for text messages too. We get a text for only the things we checked off such as missing work, grades lower than X, gradepoint lower than XX, emails from teacher, school emergency, ill child, newsletter, etc.

Our son switched districts this year, by our choice, so paperless was new to us. He loves it. What I really like is he cannot say things like "I forgot it at school" or "I'm unsure if my test is Tuesday." It's all there with clicks and submits.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 8, 2013

Try http://www.infuselearning.com/ it has all kinds of ways for students to respond instantly in class. You make quizzes tests, worksheets, show your work, whatever you need it to do.

9. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 10, 2013

How does this paperless stuff sit with those schools where the teachers have to buy supplies for the kids as the parents can't or won't supply them? Will the teachers be expected to supply the hardware for the students?

10. PeacefulTeacher

PeacefulTeacher New Member

Nov 10, 2013

Have you heard of MyBigCampus? It is a web site where teachers can post assignments, and then students in their classes can log on and complete the assignment. No printing is necessary. The teacher can log in and check all the student responses. There are discussion forums, and even the Superintendent from our BOE has a blog on it. You still have to consider whether all of your students have internet access. That is not a guarantee in my area.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 10, 2013

I do math almost paperless. We do practice on individual whiteboards. I only do assessments on paper. I am toying with posting word problems to Edmodo for them to discuss/solve together. But I'm not sure how to go completely digital and still see their work. I like seeing what they want to erase, cross out, etc.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2013

I'm in a private high school. Our kids access their report cards and progress grades online. The only ones for whom internet access might still be an issue are the ones still displaced from Sandy. But after a year, those would be, by far, the exceptions.

13. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Nov 13, 2013

There are a few good websites that allow students to send you things via email.

Do they have easy access to the library or computer lab that has a printer where they can print things when necessary? Or the local library-put the items on your website.

There is a guy that I follow is blog and he went paperless (last year I think) He wrote about it-though he is English he may be of assistance. I can PM you some information if you want.

I am on a mission to go paperless or semi as well..

14. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Nov 13, 2013

I hate the idea of paperless-especially for math! The printing that you propose simply wouldn't work in my district and I think it's much easier for a teacher to hand out worksheets (unless there is a budget problem of course).

15. CK-12Foundation

CK-12Foundation New Member

Jan 2, 2014

Have you tried to use the numerous resources out there for digital worksheets that can be completed and turned in online? Not only saves school printing costs, but saves paper when students don't have to print either. Kids these days are familiar enough with technology to handle it.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2014

Are there any specific ones you would reccommend? Particulary those appropriate to high school math?

Oh, and by the way, welcome to A to Z!!