Paper Gradebook?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Jun 9, 2018

My mom just bought me a personalized lesson planner for next year! It is very cute and it also seems very functional. The lesson planner also has a few checklist pages for grading, but it's definitely not enough for all of the grades that I will need to enter for my students. In my student teaching, we just wrote down grades on post-its or entered them in the computer after grading a stack of papers. This system felt really disorganized and confusing. I personally would prefer to just keep grades online but I realize that I need a place to record grades (like homework) if I just check them off for completion at their desk. How do you organize your grades?

3. rpan

rpan Comrade

Jun 9, 2018

I have a teaching planner / teacher diary that’s made for teachers and I record grades in there until it’s time to write the report

Been There likes this.
  4. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Jun 9, 2018

5. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jun 9, 2018

I print off spreadsheets that have student names printed on it. We can do this directly from our online grade book. After I get a few grades on there entering it into the computer is fast, I don't even look at student names, I just type in a number and hit enter.

vickilyn likes this.
  6. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Rookie

Jun 9, 2018

If your school has an online grading system, like ProgressBook, I just print out the rosters, and it will print out a grid for grading for each student. I keep one for each 9 weeks, and if I run out of room, I can just print more.

Should have read that before I posted, that's exactly what I do.^^^^

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Jun 9, 2018

Thanks everyone for the ideas! When you are checking off student work for completion, do you usually just write it into the grid as you check? This was something that felt really disorganized during my student teaching but it might have been because my mentor teacher and I were doing it together.

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Jun 9, 2018

When checking homework for completion, I usually just jot down the names of the students who didn't complete it on a sheet of scrap paper, and then enter them online right after class. It works just fine.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2018

This works well, gives you a roster for fire drills to take with you, and you get to use the school's paper and printer to create what is actually needed. Since it comes directly from your online record program, it is very seamless. The school gives me a new bound gradebook every year, and I pass it on to someone who will really use it - usually someone who is not comfortable entering grades online.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jun 9, 2018

We use a state-wide grading/attendance/etc. program.

However, I need a paper-based way to keep track before I put them online. I made my own sheet on Word using tables. I have four classes a day, so I have two on each side. I use one sheet per assignment, and they are all stored in a binder. The kid's names are down the left side, and then there are two smaller columns. I have one to check off if they turn it in or not, and then another where I record the score. (Sometimes I have the kids themselves initial by their name when they turn it in.) A few of my coworkers used my form, too.

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 9, 2018

It's been many years since I've been a classroom teacher, but I never understood why people used both. Why would you do the same work twice? If you're marking something for completion, have your online gradebook up on your computer/laptop and quickly enter it there. Writing it down isn't really any faster, and then you have to redo the same work later when you enter it into the online system. I never kept anything on paper.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jun 9, 2018

I'm all about not doing double the work, too. However, here is why I still keep the paper version, even for completion assignments.
    • Technology sometimes fails. It's more of a pain to redo it once the assignments have been handed back to students.
    • Sometimes I grade papers away from technology.
    • We have frequent meetings where we need data to discuss, and they aren't always where we can use technology. We are limited to numbers of copies or things we can print, and I'm not using my copy allotment for printing my grade book.

agdamity likes this.
  13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Jun 9, 2018

This is why I don't want a paper gradebook because it seems like too much time/work (unless my school requires us to keep one.) However, in my student teaching, when I was recording grades for completion, I was usually using my computer to project something to the students
    (the Do Now, etc.) so I couldn't enter grades on my computer.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2018

Whenever we have any kind of a drill, we must have a hard-copy of roster and attendance to take out of the building with us. It doesn't have to be grade book, or sheet with grades on it, but since it has to indicate attendance, I kill 2 birds with one stone by using the spreadsheet that I printed off of the online system. Since I have that required info in hand anyway, I simply use it for more than one purpose. Last fire drill, teachers were called out who lacked the paper copies with attendance marked. I simply take it a little farther by showing missing work, late work, work in progress, etc. I would rather know that the work is in progress or late instead of filling a space with an F.

15. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Rookie

Jun 9, 2018

A lot of my assignments are computer-based, so I find it easier to grade the assignment on the screen and then write it down quickly so I don't have to keep switching tabs. When I finish, it takes me like 30 seconds to input the grades in the computer, because I already have them done. Paper is definitely the way to go! With completion assignments, it is super simple to just put an "X" next to the students missing the assignment, and just assume that everyone that was left blank turned it in. Just my thoughts!

16. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 9, 2018

I keep a paper gradebook but I'm old school. I also like to grade papers away from technology.

At the end of the school year, a teacher in the second year of teaching kept just online grades in our grading system. He had kids do a test next to last day of school because the system would grade it. He comes the next morning to move all the grades from this system to our gradebook and everything had been erased! I have no idea what happened but he was contacting several places to figure out what happened!

17. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 9, 2018

I do both. We do standards based grading, so the only grade that gets entered into the computer is the final score for the quarter. I track their scores throughout the quarter on paper.

bella84 likes this.
  18. Obadiah

Obadiah Devotee

Jun 10, 2018

When teachers got computers at their desks, we still had to use grade books. We had our choice of gradebook/planbook style, but each had to be turned in at the end of the year. What I did, I used the word processing program for my block planning and kept printed pages in a loose leaf notebook. I felt more comfortable creating my own computer grade records on the spreadsheet; I could conform it to our school's system and my own personal preferences. But I also did double duty recording everything in my official grade book. We averaged all grades, so the advantage of the spreadsheet was always having the math work completed. This especially came in handy when the school began a weekly report card system; all I had to do was hit print.

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 10, 2018

I keep a paper gradebook and the required online gradebook. I keep attendance in one section, benchmark and data information in another, and the grades I record when I am away from technology.

We have to verify attendance at various intervals in the year and my paper gradebook helps with that. I often do not have access to tech at our numerous data and RtI meetings so my section with benchmark/data info saves the day then. Keeping grades I need to post in one book helps me stay organized.

I’d start out with a paper gradebook if I were you, OP. You can always abandon it later if you find it’s not working. Your school may provide one so hold off on buying one now. You could always make your own with a binder or buy one for less than ten bucks if one is not provided for you.