pajama party ideas

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kimrandy1, Nov 30, 2005.

1. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2005

Instead of a traditional holiday party, our class has a pajama party with the theme of "The Night Before Christmas." I'm looking for some ideas...

Here's what we did last year...
    All the kids wear their pjs and bring a favorite stuffed toy.
    For food, we had "breakfast" - (muffins, doughnut holes, fruit, milk and cereal)
    For craft/game stations, we had:
    1. Decorate a pillowcase to take home and use at Christmas
    2. Bedtime story station
    3. Dress a teddy bear station - using the animals they brought
    4. Gummy bears patterning activity

I didn't like how the patterning went and am really looking for a game/craft that sort of goes along more with a bedtime theme. Any/all ideas are appreciated!
    Kim

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 30, 2005

Make stuffed animals out of socks.
    Make 'bedbugs' out of pom poms.
    Decorate nightshirts.
    Bring their favorite blankie in to cuddle with.

Listen to Kenny Loggins CD Back to Pooh Corner.
    Read In The Night Kitchen.
    Make night pictures on black paper with chalk.

Make little beds out of construction paper, make blanket, pillow, etc., glue together but leave space to tuck in a paper teddy bear.

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 30, 2005

Kim,

I have the kids wear their pjs when we do the letter P, we are doing it in 2 weeks. I am going to read- If you Give a Pig a Pancake and we will make pancakes, and a pig puppet. For math I am going to set up different patterning stations for the kids to go to and make patterns - using cereal, dot markers, foam shapes and so on. We will make popcorn in the afternoon and read some Pp stories.

Maybe you can serve hot coco-chocolate milk and read the Polar Express. You can have your aid put a bell on the kids chairs or in their backpack when they aren't looking.
    Sring popcorn, decorate paper Christmas trees with pom poms, and sequence.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2005

On our pajama day we would always make popcorn and watch movies...

6. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Dec 1, 2005

We had a teddy bear themed week this week and tonight we had a Teddy Bear Slumber Party. All the bears who were not too nervous ;) to stay overnight at school stayed in the room when the kids left... a little while later, I put the bears around the room, playing a board game, using play-doh, reading a book, doing a puzzle, even a couple with empty soda cans and an empty popcorn bag!
    Tomorrow morning we will have a Teddy Bear Breakfast (donations from parents & we'll make smoothies together) and write about what our bears did at the party.
    I wanted to make it a pajama party as well, but it coincided with school spirit day and we all are supposed to wear our school shirts.

7. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 1, 2005

When I have a pajama party during P week we have pancakes, and then I set up different centers that have something to do with the letter P. I have parents at centers, such as helping the kids guess how high the popped popcorn will reach on the paper bag, draw a line on the bag, then pop the kernels. A sequencing paper goes with that. I have P crafts in the art center, paper bag something.
    We have a pancake relay race too. We also read Pancakes, Pancakes, and If You Give a Pig a Pancake. I have another parent helping the kids make pretzels shaped in the letter P. Hope this helps.

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 1, 2005

Are they mature enough to string popcorn or to make a mix like chexmix, make snowmen out of cotton balls on a blue paper, or a snow scape with salt water mixture ove their crayon sceene? And yes dare I say it one more time, steel a craft idea from Oriental trading co. Or make gingerbread men out of sheets of cork (thin kind) you decorate with scraps of felt, ric-rac, fabric, buttons, puffy paint (or glitter glue) trace your gingerbread man from a medium size cookie cutter. Or you could have pre-made gingerman cookies to decorate, with frosting, writing gels, tiny candies etc..
    Or you if you can make gingerbread houses, the little kinds made out of grahm crackers.

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 1, 2005

We're doing a P.E.P.P. (Polar Express Pajama Party). We're transforming the room into a train and watching the movie.

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 1, 2005

All these great ideas are getting me inspired to have a day like that on our last day before Christmas Vacation!! I was just talking to another teacher about what we were going to as far as a party. Thanks all for the fun ideas.... :)

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 1, 2005

Miss W..........I was thinking of doing Polar Express day, too!!! Now I will do the pj's with it! I will give out bells on ribbon for necklaces. I can't wait......it will be fun!!!

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 1, 2005

Yes! We're making the necklaces too. My mom bought bells from Hobby Lobby, but they're the wrong kind! I have to take them back. Wal-Mart only carries gold ones. They're cheaper at Hobby Lobby anyway. I'm bringing a crockpot to have hot water in, and we'll make hot chocolate.

13. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 1, 2005

Do you know that Land-O-Lakes butter has a Polar Express Cookie cutter??Its brass and its $6, but it might be good for your theme. I have also made polar bear cookies, a cinnamon flavored sugar cookie, use little M&M's for the eyes, and a little chocolate chip or red hot for the nose dust with powdered sugar after baking then apply the candies while they are still warm, (Ball of dough about the size of a wall nut, a second ball of dough, divided into 3 parts, 2 for the ears, and one the nose. ) hope you can visualize that, I have lost my recipe book with the recipe in it.

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 1, 2005

I don't have access to an oven. I'm outside in a modular, that's why I'm bringing a crockpot. We made applesauce in it last month. It's the only way I can cook in the classroom.

15. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 1, 2005

How about printing off tickets before the kids "board" the Polar Express? Teaching is a work of Heart has the free printable, plus a lot of other PE printables.

16. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 1, 2005

I am thinking about doing the Polar Express on my last day of school (the 23rd - UGH) anyone have any craft ideas for the story?

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 2, 2005

18. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 2, 2005

When mentioning the polar express cookies I was thinking that you could make them up ahead of time and have the kids decorate them for your craft project, or treat. Provide frosting, gels, small candies, sprinkles etc... I would let a few kids decorate theirs at a time set on napkins with their names until everyone is done. Maybe use the crockpot to have hotchocolate.

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 2, 2005

I could do that. I was planning on keeping the hot water in the crockpot for the hot chocolate.

20. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 2, 2005

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2005

Miss W,
    You mentioned Hobby Lobby to get the bells.........do you get them there because they sell silver ones? Is there anything else they need to be? Just curious.....I want to make sure to get the right ones. I'm going there tomorrow if I feel better.